Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Oatmeal.. its wonderful..

Seriously add some whey to it and its magic. I could eat all day as a carb source if I had to (sometimes I do bar vegies.)

Originally Posted by Vancity74

What does everyone do for their core? I need something new!
I hate core work. I try and incorporate exercises that work the core as well as the corresponding body part. But, right now I'm just followingP90X's Ab Ripper X. They've got a Core Synergistics video as well. I've heard that it's pretty tough too

It's crazy, since I packed on weight I try to play basketball and end up with my hipflexes sore as hell. Definently should try a stretch before playingnow.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

I hate core work. I try and incorporate exercises that work the core as well as the corresponding body part. But, right now I'm just following P90X's Ab Ripper X. They've got a Core Synergistics video as well. I've heard that it's pretty tough too

I hate it too, but all my lifts are suffering miserably because my midsection is basically jelly. I neglected my core for the past couple of years and nowI'm paying the price.

Lately, I've just been doing a couple of exercises from Ab Ripper X (the first two or three, the only ones I remember), but I'm getting bored of them.Trying to think of something new.

^^^ Try P90X Plus' Abs/Core Plus.
It is slightly longer (4 minutes longer) and more intense.
It also incorporates a pull up bar in this one.

^ I want to gove that a go, after doing ARX.. your body gets used to it. Might use it after im done with P90x

I hate core work. I try and incorporate exercises that work the core as well as the corresponding body part. But, right now I'm just following P90X's Ab Ripper X. They've got a Core Synergistics video as well. I've heard that it's pretty tough too

I hate it too, but all my lifts are suffering miserably because my midsection is basically jelly. I neglected my core for the past couple of years and now I'm paying the price.

Lately, I've just been doing a couple of exercises from Ab Ripper X (the first two or three, the only ones I remember), but I'm getting bored of them. Trying to think of something new.
Maybe you may want to consider taking some time off of weight lifting to focus on strengthening your core. You can do bodyweight exercises thattarget on stability and working your core. Mike Mahler has some good advice and good exercise suggestions. If you don't want to drop weight liftingcompletely, you can add these to your workout and I'd think that they'd help as well.
http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/potak1.html
http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/bodyweight2.html
http://www.tmuscle.com/fr...342B98E1B21211DAFF.hydra
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler57.htm

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

For oatmeal, I add salt and flaxseeds. I don't even add any liquid aside from cooking it.

Oh, and if you want the entire benefits of oatmeal, look into steel cut oats rather than instant oatmeal. It's like comparing Uncle Ben's rice to cooking the grain from scratch.
i usually buy steel cut but i think the only difference is that steel cut has more fiber? they have the same gi-index
Yeah, instant oats are more processed, usually with added sugar and salt. That's not ideal for everyone. I like to atleast be able to cook everything myself. The fiber is pretty important. The fiber portion of instant oats is pretty poor too. Fiber is an important part of a healthy diet, and you can't really meet the needs if you skimp out on quality foods.
im not talking instant, im talking 100 % rolled oats, which have no added sugars/flavors

which still have a decent amount of fiber i believe, just not like what the steel cut ones have. other than that, no difference i believe.

also for core stuff im a fan of weighted crunches, etc.

not so much the light high rep stuff......ive never had problems with abdominal endurance or anything so i dont do those things religiously.

ill post up the ortho core stuff tomorrow, im about to have a ridiculous night so i probably wont be able to post it up til then.

l

JOE CAM- Anymore info on that multivitamin you posted a few days ago? I've been taking Animal Paks for a couple of years now and I wouldn't mind areplacement if it's better.

joe, my bad. We were talking about two different things. Rolled oats are good as well. It's good that you can eat them raw

I hate it too, but all my lifts are suffering miserably because my midsection is basically jelly. I neglected my core for the past couple of years and now I'm paying the price.

Lately, I've just been doing a couple of exercises from Ab Ripper X (the first two or three, the only ones I remember), but I'm getting bored of them. Trying to think of something new.
Maybe you may want to consider taking some time off of weight lifting to focus on strengthening your core. You can do bodyweight exercises that target on stability and working your core. Mike Mahler has some good advice and good exercise suggestions. If you don't want to drop weight lifting completely, you can add these to your workout and I'd think that they'd help as well.
http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/potak1.html
http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/bodyweight2.html
http://www.tmuscle.com/fr...342B98E1B21211DAFF.hydra
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler57.htm
another good one is renegades. for asimilar but more difficult twist on it, try crawling (hands and feet, not hands and knees) with dumbells. you should definitely start light until you get usedto pushing hard into the ground and keeping your torso solid, or else you might do a faceplant
laugh.gif

if you want to really hit your core muscles, space out your hands and bring your feet closer together.

Ruff day at the gym today. Body completely sore for the past week. Changed my breakfast diet, usually 3 eggs mixed with mackeral rice and beans with pitabread. Cramps all day, and fatigued right now. I love it. Gained 5 lbs in the past 3 days while dieting. Body fat has dropped, my back is more vascular andstrenght has went up. Glad i added more carbs to my breakfast, it helps alot.

for core, i just started doing cable crunches. with the rope over my head, crunch down with your knees on the floor.
going to start doing decline weighted crunches.

i've always done the ab machine and hanging leg raises but i need something new. m core is easily my strongest body part, slightly above my legs.

After one day of switching from ramping weight to doing straight work sets, I am mad sore! I haven't had this feeling in a while
smokin.gif

Question: Do you guys, who are bulking, eat the same amount of calories you do on a lifting day as you do on an off day?

iice, how in the world did you manage to put on 5 lbs in 3 days and cut body fat?

I would have to say my diet. Thats what changed the most and increased the intensity and poundage in my training. Ill weigh myself in the morning to see whatthe "true" weight is.

"Iceman, Iceman, with that belly you look more like a snowman."

Bonus points if you know where that quote is from.

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

Ruff day at the gym today. Body completely sore for the past week. Changed my breakfast diet, usually 3 eggs mixed with mackeral rice and beans with pita bread. Cramps all day, and fatigued right now. I love it. Gained 5 lbs in the past 3 days while dieting. Body fat has dropped, my back is more vascular and strenght has went up. Glad i added more carbs to my breakfast, it helps alot.

yo ice i pm'd you about advice to gain weight i need to eat 4000 a day to gain 2 pounds a week but strugglinwith that

Sweet my caliper came in the mail today.. best week so far - everything came, maltodex/dex, 100% ON, caliper and my Ronaldinho Chinelo.

Anyways, did a quick test on my BF.. im down to 8% accordingly.. but I don't believe it one bit. Im more like a 12-11% for sure. Im going to get myfriend/gym instructor to do it 3x next week to see an average. I was 14.6% in December '08 so anything hovering around the 12% mark is great for me. I wasalso 63.2kg back then and didn't even diet, just cut out soda and #%#!. Now fast-forward to July - Sept where I actually did diet, im at 62.5kg, with lessBF!

I still want a dead on 10% though, so I can add a bit more mass/muscle and get up to 67/147 %!* by jan/feb next year..

I've also cut out bread from my diet for a 2 week period and just stuck to oatmeal, just to see if that has any effect.

Originally Posted by I3

Sweet my caliper came in the mail today.. best week so far - everything came, maltodex/dex, 100% ON, caliper and my Ronaldinho Chinelo.

Anyways, did a quick test on my BF.. im down to 8% accordingly.. but I don't believe it one bit. Im more like a 12-11% for sure. Im going to get my friend/gym instructor to do it 3x next week to see an average. I was 14.6% in December '08 so anything hovering around the 12% mark is great for me. I was also 63.2kg back then and didn't even diet, just cut out soda and #%#!. Now fast-forward to July - Sept where I actually did diet, im at 62.5kg, with less BF!

I still want a dead on 10% though, so I can add a bit more mass/muscle and get up to 67/147 %!* by jan/feb next year..

I've also cut out bread from my diet for a 2 week period and just stuck to oatmeal, just to see if that has any effect.
how much did your calipers run you? i might get a pair eventually. also, which areas are you supposed to measure? the only time i ever had itdone was in the 7th grade. i remember them checking a spot on the chest, around the lower obliques (where the "V" is), somewhere on the upper arms,and i think one or two places on the back.

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

So for muscle building reverse or normal pyramids?

Also, do you guys think its better to work with a higher overall range (1x10,1x12,1x15) or something like 1x6,1x8,1x10?

Is there any difference between iso exercises and compound ones as far as pyramids go?
If you want to train for mass then stick with high volume ( high reps (8+) and many sets). You want to work till muscle fatigue. In this case the weight you're lifting doesn't matter as much as how hard you're working out a particular muscle/muscle grouping.

If you want to train for strength than stick with low reps (1-6) and fewer sets ( 3-5). In this case you're basically training for speed/power and working within a prescribed percentage of your 1 rep max.

Many sets? like 3-5?

And where does pyramid, reverse-pyramid fit in here? Or do you think it doesn't fit in at all? Thanks, btw.

Prob. closer to 5 per excercise, although I meant total sets as in complete workout.
I don't know exactly how many sets people who BB do but it must be 20+. Probably even 30+ in a single workout.

For mass it's not so much the weight you're lifting but the volume. You want to build up as much lactic acid as you can because (it's theorized)lactic acid breaks down muscle fibers. On the other hand, for strength athletes lactic acid is horrible because it limits the amount of oxygen that reachesyour muscles. Less oxygen, less strength.

ICE could prob. help you with that one. I'm usually around 15 total sets counting the important/main exercises.

Just got home from school. Walking around campus was just PAINFUL. Took me 3x longer to walk to places, SMH. I'm now icing the ankle down.

Back
Top Bottom