Streaming Sports Classics channel(s)

Why in this doomed year of 2020 do we not have an entity that can play literally any game in existence, ever?

ESPN classic plays the same "classic" games over and over. NFL Network plays a few random games here and there, but not nearly the library that it COULD. NBA, MLB, same thing.

So why hasn't someone, like say Netflix, or Amazon, or Apple, anyone really, contacted the leagues, get the rights to all archives and let's put out a channel that can play ANY game, any sport, at request.

Why yes, I would like to watch Bo Jackson's 1989 season.
MJ vs the Twolves in 1997 in December, sure.
Hey look, Mike Trout's rookie year, don't mind if I do.
Greg Maddux started 35 games in 1992, yes I would like to watch those....
Flutie hail mary game, sure why not.
USC-Texas
LeBron vs TMac 2004.
Joe Montana's 1987 season

We have 50,000 movies on streaming sites that 8 people have watched, Pumpkinhead 16: Daddy's home and **** like that, why can't we have a site with 50,000+ games available?

8 bucks a month or whatever. Piece that out to the leagues and let them add revenue from it as well as not have to maintain their "classics" any longer.

ESPN "should" be that entity, but they spend too much time showing shuffleboard, or poker, or Skip Bayless to bother having one of their 8 channels show actual classics. I mean, there are 1,500+ MJ games to choose from, they show the same 5-6. Kobe has 1,500+ games, all NBATV shows is 81, Game 7 2010, his final game, and maybe 2000 Finals game 4. Where are the other 1,496? Peyton Manning's 200+ games.

I’ve been looking for this for years.

I would like to watch Magic/Bobcats Rd. 1 from 2010, all the games, if I wanted - and I do. All the series, all the years, in HD for as long as HD’s existed.

I think UFC has something like this. I think they have a service that allows you to watch any UFC fight ever.

I'd 100% pay for an NBA/MLB/NFL version of this.

I'm lost without the freedawkins channel, I can't believe youtube banned him and pulled all his vids. Granted they weren't full games but he had a huge collection of 8-10 minute highlight vids from specific games and I used to go back and watch random vids sometimes. I recently went back and watched the Rondo 2012 Game 2 ECF vid when he had 44/8/10 against Miami and then the next day, poof, the entire channel was gone. :smh:

do you have youtube tv?

i havent dug too deep but i did see the old lakers highlights starting from 2000 till the last chip they won.

but i agree, i would pay for the classics service with an archive of older games/ players careers.

pitch it to youtube they would forsure invest in that

Love this idea and am all for it, tbh ive watched a TON of classic NBA games on my youtube app on my TV. I think it started with me searching for Lakers Blazers game 7 and started getting all kinds of recommendations from there

The NBA had something like this for a little while in the late 00s on iTunes, but it was individual games for $4-$5, and the selection was rather limited.

This should be nothing for games played in the HD era, most of the footage should digitized already, but games from the early 2000s and earlier might be on some form of physical media and need to be converted/remastered. That costs money.

They could do it though, the fact there’s gonna be hours of unseen footage in the upcoming Last Dance documentary proves it.

The NBA and all these leagues have them all, just like your local news station has every broadcast ever, mostly analog or on ancient cassettes/media.

The demand is not there yet for sports, even though I want them, because most people unlike us wouldn’t watch a sports game if it weren’t live. :lol: ... even fewer would watch games in series that weren’t classics and/or were blowouts, like that one time Aaron Brooks and the Rockets took the Lakers to 7 drama-less blowout games in the playoffs.

651, you wouldn’t want to watch Gus Frerotte and the D ****ing up Jake Delhomme in 2008?

It is weird that these sports all have standalone networks and barely play this content when they struggle to fill in slots for original stuff

I've seen Sandlot more times on MLBN than maybe playing some classic games

Feels like NBA has ramped up a little over the past few months doe

651, you wouldn’t want to watch Gus Frerotte and the D ****ing up Jake Delhomme in 2008?

Nah, I would, but I'm saying I don't have time or real desire to watch something like that then continue with another on a frequent basis, so it would be hard to justify any cost unless they offered something else. If they did like $ 0.99/game then I'd probably pay individually, but I don't know about a monthly anything.

Nah, I would, but I'm saying I don't have time or real desire to watch something like that then continue with another on a frequent basis, so it would be hard to justify any cost unless they offered something else. If they did like $ 0.99/game then I'd probably pay individually, but I don't know about a monthly anything.

Certainly doable. Individual packages.

Could do by team, by league, by combo (3 team, 5 team etc) by month.

My overall point is, where the **** is this stuff? NBATV right now is playin Finals flashbacks. 1 game from 2019 Finals, 2016, 2013 etc. 1 game. There's a thousand NBA games a year, they playin one single Finals game per season. Why?

We live in a Hardcore fan bubble.

Not enough people care about classic content for any company to invest millions of their dollars to roll out a classic content platform.

Take niche products that have their own streaming services, like WWE and UFC, where classic/achieved footage is only viewed by a small minority of folks.

I would love to be able to log-in to league pass and watch a 1997 game between the Bullets and the Bulls but I know I am in the minority here.

Hell, look at the low sub numbers for classic content publishers on youtube.

The demand isn't there.

P C H P C H

Basically what I was asking you about the Clippers

Last edited:
Interesting that the NFL goes until May 31st and the NBA one goes until April 22nd, or around the time when the playoffs were scheduled to start.

Back
Top Bottom