Stupid sports questions... let's get them straightened out

Alright... this has been bugging me for the last day.. feel free to add your own.

First - I always hear that a team's leading receiver is the guy with the most catches. But a team's leading rusher is the guy with the most yards.

This makes no sense to me. It should be yards for both, right? You wouldn't call your leading rusher the guy who gets the most carries... can this bemade official somehow? I'm tired of hearing how a team's top WR is simply the guy who catches a ton of short passes versus the guy who has only ahandful of catches but for long yardage.

My second one is this.. what is the accepted way to say more than one RBI? I've gone back and forth on this, but now I feel like it should be RBI's. What's the ruling here?

tired.gif

why do the Jets play at Giants stadium and not have their own stadium?
grin.gif
laugh.gif
This has been bugging me for many years

How come no other NFL player ever has fun except Brett Favre? Always wondered that.

Craftsy21 wrote:
Alright... this has been bugging me for the last day.. feel free to add your own.

First - I always hear that a team's leading receiver is the guy with the most catches. But a team's leading rusher is the guy with the most yards.

This makes no sense to me. It should be yards for both, right? You wouldn't call your leading rusher the guy who gets the most carries... can this be made official somehow? I'm tired of hearing how a team's top WR is simply the guy who catches a ton of short passes versus the guy who has only a handful of catches but for long yardage.

My second one is this.. what is the accepted way to say more than one RBI? I've gone back and forth on this, but now I feel like it should be RBI's. What's the ruling here?

tired.gif

1.) He's receiving the ball the most, which would make him the teams top receiver. Notice the key word "Receive", the rusher is the top rusherbecasue he has accumulated the most yards "rushing".
laugh.gif

2.) RBI's is actually grammatically incorrect, with the apostrophe following the "i", it's insinuating that you saying in's. It'sjust best to say he has 150 runs batted in or he has a 150 RBI. I know that it sounds odd, but that's the correct way to say it.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

This makes no sense to me. It should be yards for both, right? You wouldn't call your leading rusher the guy who gets the most carries... can this be made official somehow? I'm tired of hearing how a team's top WR is simply the guy who catches a ton of short passes versus the guy who has only a handful of catches but for long yardage.

tired.gif

1.) He's receiving the ball the most, which would make him the teams top receiver. Notice the key word "Receive", the rusher is the top rusher becasue he has accumulated the most yards "rushing".
laugh.gif

2.) RBI's is actually gramatically incorrect, with the apostraphy fowolling the "i", it's insinuating that you saying in's. It's just best to say he has 150 runs batted in or he has a 150 RBI. I know that it sounds odd, but that's the correct way to say it.

1) Gotta disagree with your logic there. If a top receiver is the guy getting the most receptions, the top rusher should be the guy getting the most rushes. It's gotta be one or the other, you basically just proved why I have a problem with it.
laugh.gif
i think they both should be based on yardage personally

2) And I understand RBI's with the apostrophe is wrong typed out, i was just putting it that way so you could see how it's said aloud. And obviouslyit wouldn't make sense to say "Runs Batted Ins", but you're abbreviating it to RBI already - and in a sense, make it a type of unit ratherthan a direct shortening of the phrase.

I think you sound silly when you say "he had 4 RBI" as opposed to "he had 4 RBIs"... It seems like RBI should stop being looked at as adirect abbreviation for the term, in my opinion. I know it won't change, but I think that would clear up much of the confusion and odd sounding phrases.

I'm trying to think of other examples where this has happened, but off the top of my head I can't right now.

It's always just RBI, which is already plural (RUNS batted in).

RBI's makes no sense, I never heard anyone use that before.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

It's always just RBI, which is already plural (RUNS batted in).

RBI's makes no sense, I never heard anyone use that before.
laugh.gif

I hear that ALL THE TIME. Maybe it's a SoCal thing.

Do baseball games end after 3 outs in the 9th inning, or just whenever/if the team at bat in the 9th inning scores 1pt more than the other team?

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Do baseball games end after 3 outs in the 9th inning, or just whenever/if the team at bat in the 9th inning scores 1pt more than the other team?
i'm confused by your question...

are you asking why they don't always play the bottom of the 9th?

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

How come no other NFL player ever has fun except Brett Favre? Always wondered that.
roll.gif

What is an all pro? Someone that makes the pro bowl or is it another award?
Who all gets to vote for MVP's and other awards in pro sports? (I know writers get a vote for some odd reason but who else does)
Why do they use the term number one pick for players that weren't actually THE number one pick in the draft?
How does one go about becoming the comissioner of a sports league? (like, what do you major in while in college?)
What's the point of having BCS standings and the coaches poll? Also do the schools actually share championships (if I'm not mistaken didn't USCclaim a National Championship the year Auburn won?)
Does the same Stanley Cup get passed around from team to team each year or are there duplicates made each year?
Is Michael Jordan's jersey really retired in Miami, if so what jersey is it?
Why do head coaches wear headsets if their not the Offensive/Defensive coordinators? Do the QB's actually hear them yelling nonsense the whole game or isthere a mute button?

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

roll.gif

What is an all pro? Someone that makes the pro bowl or is it another award?
Who all gets to vote for MVP's and other awards in pro sports? (I know writers get a vote for some odd reason but who else does)
Why do they use the term number one pick for players that weren't actually THE number one pick in the draft?
How does one go about becoming the comissioner of a sports league? (like, what do you major in while in college?)
What's the point of having BCS standings and the coaches poll? Also do the schools actually share championships (if I'm not mistaken didn't USC claim a National Championship the year Auburn won?)
Does the same Stanley Cup get passed around from team to team each year or are there duplicates made each year?
Is Michael Jordan's jersey really retired in Miami, if so what jersey is it?
Why do head coaches wear headsets if their not the Offensive/Defensive coordinators? Do the QB's actually hear them yelling nonsense the whole game or is there a mute button?
I'll take a few:

All-Pro is the single best player in the league at each position. there can be multiple pro-bowlers, but to be all pro is to be like a first team allamerican.

Stanley Cup is the same, passed around as far as I know. they engrave the names in it every year.

a lot of commissioners right now were actually lawyers from my understanding. you've basically got to be able to run a large corporation to be a commish,so any type of business and legal background would help.

BCS standings are actually calculated through a formula that takes into account a bunch of polls, including the coaches.

*ascends to heaven*

How come they show close ups of the fans in the stands at baseball games on TV all the time and almost never in any other sport?
oh probably because its a slow game and they have time to kill

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

but then what happens if the stanley cup runs outta rooom for the names?! i guess that's the end of the world as we know it...
They cut off the top main ring, flatten it, and put in the Hall of fame. They accually just did that- Tampa Bay filled up the last ring, so when the canes won it, they had to add the new ring. it accually has the last season on there too, saying season not played or similar. Each ring lasts for 17 years or something like that.

And they're all made of silver...

The cup does not grow larger anymore, they figured if it did it would be too much of a pain to hoist.

Why is every NBA team need to have at least one white guy on the roster and 90% of time he sucks anyway ?
laugh.gif

I think the football one does make sense - most rushes wouldn't be a great stat because it depends on being chosen rather than doing something difficult(although you would only be chosen if you could actually run with the ball). Best catcher is the guy who can catch the ball the best (obviously!) and thatdoesn't depend on distance - as we all know it can often be more difficult in traffic when the play is condensed to one end of the field. It doesn'tmake it harder if you catch the ball and then run 90 yds - the most difficult part is actually catching the ball first.

Anyway, showing my real ignorance here. I live in Europe - almost always have - and have no interest in hockey but one thing I've never known is why arethere three numbers when you see a teams record - it'll say something like 12/5/3 - is that wins, losses and ties?

Originally Posted by kdawg

Anyway, showing my real ignorance here. I live in Europe - almost always have - and have no interest in hockey but one thing I've never known is why are there three numbers when you see a teams record - it'll say something like 12/5/3 - is that wins, losses and ties?
This. and also doesn't points scored have an effect on the overall standings? Is that only in the case when mutiple teams have the same recordor is it always relevant?

Anyway, showing my real ignorance here. I live in Europe - almost always have - and have no interest in hockey but one thing I've never known is why are there three numbers when you see a teams record - it'll say something like 12/5/3 - is that wins, losses and ties?
This. and also doesn't points scored have an effect on the overall standings? Is that only in the case when mutiple teams have the same record or is it always relevant?

as presently constituted the 3 numbers stand for wins/losses/ot losses worth 2/0/1 pts respectively and yes the points scored pose as tiebreakers for example,a team that finishes 60-14-8 would be higher seeded than a team that finishes 60-16-6 even though they have the same amount of wins but different ot losses.they're points would differ though 128-126

This. and also doesn't points scored have an effect on the overall standings? Is that only in the case when mutiple teams have the same record or is it always relevant?

it would generally be ties - but they do shootouts now as of a few years ago, so it's games lost in overtime.
laugh.gif

whoops - let me edit quickly, i'm ******ed today.

it's overtime LOSSES. and you get 1 point for the overtime loss. 2 points for a win.

ultimately points determine the standings.

2) And I understand RBI's with the apostrophe is wrong typed out, i was just putting it that way so you could see how it's said aloud. And obviously it wouldn't make sense to say "Runs Batted Ins", but you're abbreviating it to RBI already - and in a sense, make it a type of unit rather than a direct shortening of the phrase.

I think you sound silly when you say "he had 4 RBI" as opposed to "he had 4 RBIs"... It seems like RBI should stop being looked at as a direct abbreviation for the term, in my opinion. I know it won't change, but I think that would clear up much of the confusion and odd sounding phrases.
In physics, when you're measuring pressure, you use PSI - pounds per square inch. Scientists say 1 PSI and 10 PSI, they don't say 1 PSIand 10 PSIs.

I'm not saying that that's how it should always be, but just saying that 4 RBI may sound weird... but just until you just keep using it and eventuallyit just doesn't sound weird anymore. (same thing with PSI)

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

2) And I understand RBI's with the apostrophe is wrong typed out, i was just putting it that way so you could see how it's said aloud. And obviously it wouldn't make sense to say "Runs Batted Ins", but you're abbreviating it to RBI already - and in a sense, make it a type of unit rather than a direct shortening of the phrase.

I think you sound silly when you say "he had 4 RBI" as opposed to "he had 4 RBIs"... It seems like RBI should stop being looked at as a direct abbreviation for the term, in my opinion. I know it won't change, but I think that would clear up much of the confusion and odd sounding phrases.
In physics, when you're measuring pressure, you use PSI - pounds per square inch. Scientists say 1 PSI and 10 PSI, they don't say 1 PSI and 10 PSIs.

I'm not saying that that's how it should always be, but just saying that 4 RBI may sound weird... but just until you just keep using it and eventually it just doesn't sound weird anymore. (same thing with PSI)

that's one that doesn't really help my case though, i'm trying to find a case where it does.

Again - that's pounds per square inch, so there's already a built in plural like runs batted in. I'm looking for one that isn't a built inplural.

Back
Top Bottom