Style Help Please - What to wear with a button down/fitted jeans

Any1 wanna help? Im trying to clean up a little bit - but Im a little lost and Im sure their more experienced people on this board.

I need help because Im really dumbfounded about which type of shoes to wear with them? Im looking for a casual - but lightly dressy look - but I reallydon't want to wear formal-type shoes with jeans - It doesnt really look that great on me. Any1 know what type of sneaker would look great with fitted blue(navy) jean - and a crisp light colored (probably basic white with stripe design) button down?

thanks

Xpress for the button down

Kenneth Cole for the shoes

they go real cheap on ebay and amazon.com

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Xpress for the button down

Kenneth Cole for the shoes

they go real cheap on ebay and amazon.com

They're even cheap in store. Express always have sales. Most of the time, their 1mx shirt is around $20-30, while the higher end ones are $30-40. Kenneth Cole shoes are great for their price, not too much. Macys has good deal on them from time to time. I'd go with what DatZNasty said. Iwouldn't wear sneakers with fitted jeans and button down personally...the closest I'd do is some casual kicks like Diesels.

Yea, I know Journeys has some or some similar looking ones and if you really want to be cheap, Steve and Barry's has some styles that actually look prettygood 8.98 or whatever. Seriously. The Kenneth Coles I have are called the Thumb Overs and they go nice with jeans

KC's are not the way if you want to look refined. KC's generic square-toed, upturned forefoot look is the sign of a definite guido. try for somethinglike allen edmonds for a nice dress shoe that will go with nice dark jeans with minimum distressing, and a nice dress shirt without loud stripes or clashingcolors. if you don't like the dress shoe look, you may want to try out some boots, like alden, frye, ndc, etc. there are a myriad of choices. or, you cando like what other people are saying and wear some generic KC's that will fall apart after a few months (if you're lucky, the glue on them will be realstrong, and they may last a few more months! hooray!).

I was assuming dude didnt' want to pay 200$ for a basic chelsea style boot though. Might as well drop 3 bills on some Bruno Maglis then, or #$+! it justpay about 5 and get some Guccis.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I was assuming dude didnt' want to pay 200$ for a basic chelsea style boot though. Might as well drop 3 bills on some Bruno Maglis then, or #$+! it just pay about 5 and get some Guccis.

+1. From the OP's post, I thought it would be a one time thing, and not a pair of shoes that would get worked into a regular rotation.

you can find AE's from the AE factory store on ebay, or many many other sellers on ebay, for <$100. with brands like BM or gucci, their durability andoverall leather quality is almost as bad as KC, but cost a few hundred more

question to the OP: did you mean button downs or ups? it's not going to affect my suggestions, but there is a difference. i'd prefer button downs overbutton ups, because they are more american-casual.

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

KC's are not the way if you want to look refined. KC's generic square-toed, upturned forefoot look is the sign of a definite guido. try for something like allen edmonds for a nice dress shoe that will go with nice dark jeans with minimum distressing, and a nice dress shirt without loud stripes or clashing colors. if you don't like the dress shoe look, you may want to try out some boots, like alden, frye, ndc, etc. there are a myriad of choices. or, you can do like what other people are saying and wear some generic KC's that will fall apart after a few months (if you're lucky, the glue on them will be real strong, and they may last a few more months! hooray!).
That's a suggestion but I would also add to that a good pair of black loafers. It's probably one of the most versatile shoes made, it could beused with almost any casual occasions. It can be dressed up without having too formal and be dressed down for a real casual look.

ooh yea, totally forgot about loafers. and boat shoes look great with jeans as well!

to the OP - remember, anything that can be had at a department store for retail, can most likely be found on ebay for a 50-70% discount, provided you arepatient enough to bid + wait for shipping.

I'm not sure if NT is familiar with the term "AmJack" but it's basically defined by those corny striped button up shirts, some attempt atdesigner denim, and blocky, Kenneth Cole-style shoes. AKA 80% of the population at most upscale clubs. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of wiggleroom in that definition for you to stand out, but just be warned.

I'd just stick to a pair of Chelsea boots, maybe even some good brown loafers.

Originally Posted by know polish

I'm not sure if NT is familiar with the term "AmJack" but it's basically defined by those corny striped button up shirts, some attempt at designer denim, and blocky, Kenneth Cole-style shoes. AKA 80% of the population at most upscale clubs. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of wiggle room in that definition for you to stand out, but just be warned.

I'd just stick to a pair of Chelsea boots, maybe even some good brown loafers.

this is basically what i said, minus the term itself and chelseas. how'd i forget chelseas? sheesh, i'm losin' it.

Originally Posted by beezylocks

forces(plain 1 color), 11s, 10s.

indifferent.gif

Guys thanks for the help. I really don't wanna look like the guido-wannabee - no offense to them but I just don't like their attitude and Id rather notbe associated with them - ever.

its not for a one time purpose only - more or less something to wear around campus as an everyday style (when obviously not in the midterm/finals week bummyuniform) - or at your avg. bar.

Usually I just wear a T-shirt, jeans, and probably matching sneakers (all fit normally - no extra size up/down for me thank you very much) but wifey is askingme (not demanding - nicely asking haha) - If I can add a little bit of the casual upper tier styles to the wardrobe - meaning button (ups/downs?)

thanks again for all of your help guys.
question to the OP: did you mean button downs or ups? it's not going to affect my suggestions, but there is a difference. i'd prefer button downs over button ups, because they are more american-casual.
whats the difference mate? im very bad at this
laugh.gif

That's a suggestion but I would also add to that a good pair of black loafers. It's probably one of the most versatile shoes made, it could be used with almost any casual occasions. It can be dressed up without having too formal and be dressed down for a real casual look.
any specific companys that your avg. college student would be able to afford? Please no gucci etc. Because I really cant drop 2-3 bills on a pairwith the expense of books tuition etc but obviously nothing too cheap
where it will fall apart after a few months

button downs have the buttons on the collars, so the collar tips are buttoned down. button ups are your usual dress shirts, no buttons on the chest to buttononto the collar points.

for loafers you can look into, again, allen-edmonds. they often go on sale, especially on ebay. you might want to look into driving mocs as well. for boatshoes and such, sperry's is nice and cheap.

Anybody know much about Prada loafers? I went to neiman marcus for the last call and couldn't find a decent blazer or jeans, so I bought some Pradaloafers, since I already had a giftcard. I also looking for some buttonups/casual shirts, anyone got any other suggestions?

button downs have the buttons on the collars, so the collar tips are buttoned down. button ups are your usual dress shirts, no buttons on the chest to button onto the collar points.

ehh.... I call ALL dress shirts button downs...NEVER even heard of the phrase button ups until JayZ.
dresscasual shirts with the button down collar: button down collar.

I prefer dress shirst with a hidden loop underneath the collar though
btw..my advice is to find your own style that you'll be comfortable with. if you're a Tshirt, jeans and sneakers kind of guy...start offslowly... yu're going from T's and sneakers to dress shirts and shoes?...why jump into a style that's not yours?
rock a dress shirt...and rock some non-white/non basketball sneakers...get comfortable with it...then jump into shoes if you're still good with it. Trustme...you'll feel awkward trying to rock clothes that you don't feel right in...and your body language will convey it.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

button downs have the buttons on the collars, so the collar tips are buttoned down. button ups are your usual dress shirts, no buttons on the chest to button onto the collar points.

ehh.... I call ALL dress shirts button downs...NEVER even heard of the phrase button ups until JayZ.
dresscasual shirts with the button down collar: button down collar.

I prefer dress shirst with a hidden loop underneath the collar though
btw..my advice is to find your own style that you'll be comfortable with. if you're a Tshirt, jeans and sneakers kind of guy...start off slowly... yu're going from T's and sneakers to dress shirts and shoes?...why jump into a style that's not yours?
rock a dress shirt...and rock some non-white/non basketball sneakers...get comfortable with it...then jump into shoes if you're still good with it. Trust me...you'll feel awkward trying to rock clothes that you don't feel right in...and your body language will convey it.

yea actually i just call them dress shirts vs. button downs, or OCBD's (oxford cloth button downs). i'll only use the term "button up" inreal life when i'm distiguishing to someone the difference between the 2 (so they don't get confused and ask me "but a button down is adress shirt, right?
laugh.gif
) and just to be clear, OCBD's are just as much a conservative business attire piece of clothing as are regular dress shirts.

i like the desert clark boots posted as well, in addition to other types of chukkas and boots that will go well with jeans/shirt. the clarks desert boots willbe a good transition, given that they have that sneaker feel with the non-leather, crepe outsole (super comfy btw).

Although I never wear it but for those whose starting out without having to pay a lot for it, I suggest Cole Haan. Check out their website, they have a goodselection of shoes on sale right now.

I also suggest Johnston & Murphy, they have a pretty good shoe selection and they usually have their shoes on sale for a great price. They actually have a50% off sale on their website too. What I liek about J&M (and AE as well) is that they have a re-soling program where you can send them the shoes once wornand broken in and they will restore it for a fee.
I like these for simple boots.
Kennard Gore Boot (they have it in brown and brown suede as well) $109, the suede ones are $69.
1_55551_FS.jpg
1_55562_FS.jpg
1_55540_FS.jpg

Check Zappos.com has a good selection, the same as Endless.com.

^i wouldn't really resole those mentioned shoes, since resoling them is almost the same price as just buying the shoes new, you can find many many gooddeals out there for new shoes in the vein of J&M, AE, etc.

rockport, timberland, and ecco are also 3 decent brands to look into for a low budget, and can be found for extremely cheap, especially on ebay. ecco'shave the plus of being known for very comfortable shoes.

Back
Top Bottom