Summer Barangay Basketball Leagues question..

this question is to all my people who lives there in our mother land..i was wondering..is it a good experience to try to hoop on the summer leagues there..nothing big like pba or the d-league stuff..just your normal barangay paliga or ligas..im actually quitting my job on march to try to experience hoopin in the summer in the philippines..any tips or advice? thanks in advance..

Summer basketball.. more physical in the Philippines
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Thats all you need to know.

Almost half of the ligas I've witnessed never finishes. HAHAHA. I don't know. But it's a fun experience for sure. Try more organized leagues like the ones held between offices.
Mostly in ortigas. The referees suck though.

It's more intense and challenging. From most of my experience. Summer League Basketball in barangays has more audience. Be ready to here boos from fans of other teams. Fans from other teams will talk trash to you more than the players themselves hahaha. And also make sure you dont miss easy layups or you'll here a lot of "BANO KA!" in the background. Make sure your team has at least one tough guy who is not willing to backdown anytime a fight starts to occur. Mala Garnett or Haslem ang dating. 

chichoi- its okay breh..im debt free and only making car payments of 240 a month and i already put money aside for that so im good for 9 months..my girl works and makes somewhat of good money and we both live with my parents since we have 2 kids so that helps a lot..

wytboy55- you mentioned fights..i heard that from other folks..how does fight start i mean i ball in so many asian/open leagues here in the bay area and ive never had any encounters or even if it did it would get stopped right away..is it different in the philippines? fill me in on this pare..

It all starts with one hard foul. And the rest is history. Don't expect the ref can stop a whole baranggay charging towards the benches.
laugh.gif

Or if one guy's super good, they'll foul the hell out of that one. Injury causing fouls. That causes riots!

I've played in a couple when i was there....just get ready to be roughed up hard, especially if you're fairly good and go on a hot streak within the game. Just try to keep your cool at all times but be wary of stuff such as undercutting, sticking their foot out under you when you take a jumpshot, really hard - karate chop-like - fouls to your arms etc etc.

Try to be cool with the people, other players, fans, etc....that way you'll be less of a target. If you're the arrogant, loudmouth, showboat type, RIP.
EDIT: Forgot to add......are you alumni of a particular school? Try to join your school's alumni league instead. Much much more organized, and better competition overall. Every time I go back, I play in the ABL (Ateneo's alumni league) and it's competitive but also fun. Fully-timed, shot clocks, proper refs, proper wooden courts, stats, etc. the works. I've never have to worry about the shenanigans that go on in a local barangay league. If your school doesnt have one, there's open leagues with the same type of atmosphere such as alumni leagues coz the organizers are the same. 

Back
Top Bottom