Suns sign Stromile Swift vol. How good is he?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3951355

MIAMI -- Forward Stromile Swift signed a free-agentcontract with Phoenix Suns on Wednesday for the remainder of theseason, giving the Suns another big man to replace the injured Amare Stoudemire.

Swift will be in uniform Wednesday night when the Suns visit the MiamiHeat, the team said.

Swift was waived earlier this week by the New Jersey Nets. Thenine-year veteran averaged only 3.8 points in six games with the Nets this season, but the former LSU standout could be vital to Phoenix, which may be withoutStoudemire (eye surgery) for the remainder of the season.

"We are very pleased to be able to add a player of Stromile's caliber at this late date," Suns president and general manager Steve Kerr said. "We believe that his athleticism, lengthand experience will be valuable to us as we head down the stretch run."

Swift has averages of 8.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in 534 career games with the Vancouver and Memphis Grizzlies, Houston Rockets and the Nets.

Haven't really seen this dude play. Strengths? Weaknesses?

Stro is a mutha @$%%*# scrub.... But I hope he does well. Same thing Ive been saying for the past 7 years

I didn't know he was still in the league, until a article came out last week or some time about this mothers death. IDK if he'll do anything with theSuns, but he can run the floor and dunk. If that means anything.

if he overcomes with his emotional problems, I actually do think he will fit pretty good with Suns' system. He still got pretty good athleticism left inhim and he could run the floor...he's not going to do much but it's not bad IF (and big IF) he overcomes his emotional problems. We'll see.

Dude is really hurt mentally right now because of his Mom passing. I don't think he even cares about basketball at the moment.

frown.gif

Great. The Suns get another player that'll help them approximately not at all.

Just hope for the best, I guess.

I don't think he's there mentally and emotionally with the situation wit his moms and everything...

But i do hope he gets back in his natural form...

I think they're just wasting their money. Dude aint gonna anything drastic to save the team's season.

Haven't really seen this dude play. Strengths? Weaknesses?

there was a year when he had top 10 plays at least every month. he WAS good around the basket with his put backs...but that's pretty much it.

if I were the Suns I'd just develop Lopez. They'll be slow as hell but at least it ain't costing them any more money.

Originally Posted by rillo561

I didn't know he was still in the league, until a article came out last week or some time about this mothers death. IDK if he'll do anything with the Suns, but he can run the floor and dunk. If that means anything.
Don't they have that player already?
nerd.gif

A good addition to the Suns roster, great athleticism, offense is dunking...

Not sure how into basketball he is right now with his recent tragedy though.

If he plays about 20 minutes per and is mentally stable, he could put up 10 and 5 easy in Phoenix.

Unfortunately, I don't see either of those things happening.

Stro's biggest problem has always been desire. He's never really improved at anything. I don't see that changing after eight years in the league,especially considering the state he's in now. He's probably the best leaper in the league, though..

Tyrus Thomas is turning into exactly what he could have been.

Still one of my favorite players ever, though.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

laugh.gif
I'm serious Mattitude.
roll.gif
laugh.gif
@ Mattitude... But seriously though, thats not gonna happen... He could play with CP or DWILL and it still wouldnt happen

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

If he plays about 20 minutes per and is mentally stable, he could put up 10 and 5 easy in Phoenix.

Unfortunately, I don't see either of those things happening

Stro's biggest problem has always been desire. He's never really improved at anything. I don't see that changing after eight years in the league, especially considering the state he's in now. Tyrus Thomas is turning into exactly what he could have been.

Still one of my favorite players ever, though.

Exactly.... You covered pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Stro NEVER and I mean NEVER had any drive and never even looked like he enjoyed hoopin. 9 years in and being on his 3rd deal aint gonna change any of that.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that there's maybe a 5% chance he uses this new opportunity and his mother's death as motivation.

I can't believe this dude is 29 now.

He's one of those Darius Miles type of players.. Can play 10 years in the league and some people will still think that the next year will be his breakoutseason.

One of the biggest factors is that he the suns needed size so they got it cuz im tired of seeing amundsen come in @ the 4 and barnes i really hope stro willflourish in our system i think he will especially since he can get out in transition our system is notorious for making mediocre players maximize theirpotential and does anybody know if he'll be starting @ the 4 spot?

Back
Top Bottom