Taking a charge under the basket

Does anybody else find the whole "see player driving, run to basket and hope you get the whistle" concept absolutely ridiculous? There's no defensive play being made and it takes no real defensive skill on the part of the player to get this call. The only time there should be an offensive foul called against a driving player is when the defender is out on the perimeter. That would actually require a good defender to stay in front of his man. Rant out 
mad.gif

Does anybody else find the whole "see player driving, run to basket and hope you get the whistle" concept absolutely ridiculous? There's no defensive play being made and it takes no real defensive skill on the part of the player to get this call. The only time there should be an offensive foul called against a driving player is when the defender is out on the perimeter. That would actually require a good defender to stay in front of his man. Rant out 
mad.gif

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

That's how u play D in the NBA now.
And it's so sad to see the likes of Nick Collison get praised, *+##$%# PRAISED, for playing "defense".
We need to see somebody pull this out in the middle of a game...

when I was a little kid -- and I swear to God, this happened -- a guard named Mike Newlin flopped to draw a charge from the great Dave Cowens, a fiery Hall of Famer who played with a remarkable level of passion and fury, to the degree that he burned himself out after 7-8 years. Completely and utterly outraged that Newlin committed such a phony act of sportsmanship, Cowens berated the ref who made the call, yelled at him some more, then started running back on defense when he noticed Newlin dribbling up the court. Now, our seats were at midcourt, so this happened right in front of us and nearly caused me to pee my pants -- as Cowens was running, he snapped and suddenly charged Newlin like a free safety, bodychecked him at full speed (much, MUCH harder than Horry's foul on Nash) and sent poor Newlin careening into the press table at about 35 mph. Then he turned to the same ref and screamed ...

"NOW THAT'S A F------- FOUL!"

- Bill Simmons

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

That's how u play D in the NBA now.
And it's so sad to see the likes of Nick Collison get praised, *+##$%# PRAISED, for playing "defense".
We need to see somebody pull this out in the middle of a game...

when I was a little kid -- and I swear to God, this happened -- a guard named Mike Newlin flopped to draw a charge from the great Dave Cowens, a fiery Hall of Famer who played with a remarkable level of passion and fury, to the degree that he burned himself out after 7-8 years. Completely and utterly outraged that Newlin committed such a phony act of sportsmanship, Cowens berated the ref who made the call, yelled at him some more, then started running back on defense when he noticed Newlin dribbling up the court. Now, our seats were at midcourt, so this happened right in front of us and nearly caused me to pee my pants -- as Cowens was running, he snapped and suddenly charged Newlin like a free safety, bodychecked him at full speed (much, MUCH harder than Horry's foul on Nash) and sent poor Newlin careening into the press table at about 35 mph. Then he turned to the same ref and screamed ...

"NOW THAT'S A F------- FOUL!"

- Bill Simmons

by rule you cant take a charge "under the basket"

if the offensive player is out of control, then take the charge wherever you are on the court. otherwise man up and play D

by rule you cant take a charge "under the basket"

if the offensive player is out of control, then take the charge wherever you are on the court. otherwise man up and play D

See I'm the exact opposite.

The only type of charge I agree with is the type where the defender moves over in the paint and has his position for a second. Its a risky play because the defender risks getting dunked on and commiting a foul. I hate perimeter charges because the defenders never really have their position they just stiffen up and act like the offensive player is running them over. Same thing with post up charges. That makes me mad...just man up and defend.

And about Cowens story, you couldn't do that now.
1. You can really even talk to refs anymore or you'll get a technical foul.
2. That would be flagrant 2 and the player would get suspended for at least 3 games.
3. Because most players are Black and they would call that behavior 'thuggish" instead of fiery.

See I'm the exact opposite.

The only type of charge I agree with is the type where the defender moves over in the paint and has his position for a second. Its a risky play because the defender risks getting dunked on and commiting a foul. I hate perimeter charges because the defenders never really have their position they just stiffen up and act like the offensive player is running them over. Same thing with post up charges. That makes me mad...just man up and defend.

And about Cowens story, you couldn't do that now.
1. You can really even talk to refs anymore or you'll get a technical foul.
2. That would be flagrant 2 and the player would get suspended for at least 3 games.
3. Because most players are Black and they would call that behavior 'thuggish" instead of fiery.

The game has increasingly pussified over the last 25 years. If the league were to change the rules back to how they were in the 80's and earlier, the players wouldn't even know how not to flop and draw "charges" like they do these days.

The game has increasingly pussified over the last 25 years. If the league were to change the rules back to how they were in the 80's and earlier, the players wouldn't even know how not to flop and draw "charges" like they do these days.

I think the charge as a whole is an unnecessary foul/violation. Why should a player be rewarded for standing still and absorbing contact from an offensive player? Don't we want people to score?

The only time an offensive player should be whistled for a foul is if he actively commits a foul, i.e. clearing out a defender with his off arm. Simply driving to the basket should never, ever be a foul.

Someone convince me that the charge brings something good to basketball.

I think the charge as a whole is an unnecessary foul/violation. Why should a player be rewarded for standing still and absorbing contact from an offensive player? Don't we want people to score?

The only time an offensive player should be whistled for a foul is if he actively commits a foul, i.e. clearing out a defender with his off arm. Simply driving to the basket should never, ever be a foul.

Someone convince me that the charge brings something good to basketball.

^
it rewards the person who got to the position first. as a defender, you can't just hold your man there, so if you beat them to the spot and they run you over, you should be rewarded IMO

flopping and all that takes away from the game, but i think the way the NBA is supposed to call charges is good. it would benefit with instant replay for a season or 2 with fines for flopping.

^
it rewards the person who got to the position first. as a defender, you can't just hold your man there, so if you beat them to the spot and they run you over, you should be rewarded IMO

flopping and all that takes away from the game, but i think the way the NBA is supposed to call charges is good. it would benefit with instant replay for a season or 2 with fines for flopping.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

^

flopping and all that takes away from the game, but i think the NBA is supposed to call charges is good. it would benefit with instant replay for a season or 2 with fines for flopping.
I understand the rule, I just don't get why we want to reward that sort of thing. As a defender, your job is prevent the person you're guarding from scoring. If you play defense well enough with your feet, the player won't have the space/opportunity to go up for the shot without getting blocked or at least being forced into a bad shot. 
Instead of rewarding good defense, charges actually reward bad defense. If you're defending LeBron on the perimeter for example, you might play him a little looser and let him go by you because you trust that Joakim Noah is under the basket waiting to take a charge. That's not really good defense to me. 

Your explanation applies to a defender taking a charge from the man they're guarding, but most charges are taken by help defenders after the initial man has been beaten off the dribble. 

^

flopping and all that takes away from the game, but i think the NBA is supposed to call charges is good. it would benefit with instant replay for a season or 2 with fines for flopping.
I understand the rule, I just don't get why we want to reward that sort of thing. As a defender, your job is prevent the person you're guarding from scoring. If you play defense well enough with your feet, the player won't have the space/opportunity to go up for the shot without getting blocked or at least being forced into a bad shot. 
Instead of rewarding good defense, charges actually reward bad defense. If you're defending LeBron on the perimeter for example, you might play him a little looser and let him go by you because you trust that Joakim Noah is under the basket waiting to take a charge. That's not really good defense to me. 

Your explanation applies to a defender taking a charge from the man they're guarding, but most charges are taken by help defenders after the initial man has been beaten off the dribble. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

^

its kind of a double edge sword when dealing with taking a charge, but i agree with both sides

Back
Top Bottom