Target settling for $3.74m after being sued for racial profiling of job applicants

I saw Target’s leader of diversity speak last month. She was really good. She said their executive team is currently 46% minority (includes women in that stat) iirc, and it’s really because our their new”ish” CEO.

Sounds like they’re making good progress on diversity at the corporate office and in stores.

My local Targets have a nice mix of all types, which is a good thing. The employees seem pretty chill and genuinely happy to be there. I guess it depends on the location.

It resolves claims that Target, which has performed background checks for employment in U.S. stores since 2001, “imported the racial and ethnic disparities” in U.S. criminal justice system into its hiring, in part by disqualifying job applicants for convictions unrelated to the work they sought.

“Criminal background information can be a legitimate tool for screening job applicants,” but Target’s background checks were “harmful to many qualified applicants who deserved a fair shot at a good job,” LDF President Sherrilyn Ifill said in a statement.

sounds like they should have hired some people but didn't because of their criminal backgrounds. the work that was being sought after were for jobs where their criminal convictions shouldn't have mattered like a cart attendant or food worker.
Isn't it a companies right to go with the dude without any criminal convictions?

I know the judicial and criminal system is all kinds of messed up. Sounds like whoever sued target went down this route. ' It shouldn't be a minorities fault they are arrested and convicted some 5 times more frequently than whites'.

I know some jobs they do a credit check on you. Obviously If you're trying to get that job, you need the money and are probably on bad credit terms. So it doesn't make entirely too much sense to not take you based on credit scores. But I've seen it.

Some jobs, they do FBI background checks. Some they interview your family and friends and past bosses for your general wellness.

I think a company has the right to not hire any convicted criminals if it so choose. Now if we're talking two relatively qualified people with the same criminal past, and they choose the white guy, something's wrong there.

All I know is the Target by my parents' house got hella black & hispanic employees.

The one by job tho? All white, except for this one middle-eastern(?) lady lol.

Isn't it a companies right to go with the dude without any criminal convictions?

I know the judicial and criminal system is all kinds of messed up. Sounds like whoever sued target went down this route. ' It shouldn't be a minorities fault they are arrested and convicted some 5 times more frequently than whites'.

I know some jobs they do a credit check on you. Obviously If you're trying to get that job, you need the money and are probably on bad credit terms. So it doesn't make entirely too much sense to not take you based on credit scores. But I've seen it.

Some jobs, they do FBI background checks. Some they interview your family and friends and past bosses for your general wellness.

I think a company has the right to not hire any convicted criminals if it so choose. Now if we're talking two relatively qualified people with the same criminal past, and they choose the white guy, something's wrong there.

I never said one way or another.

I do believe a company should be allowed to hire who they want and should be able to use all available information given to them. I don't, however, think race should play a part. give them the names of the people and what they did. don't give them their race. if anything, at the very least, perpetuates prejudice someone might have already.

Wait a minute.

Target is getting hit because they didn’t want to hire people with criminal backgrounds and most of those are Black and Hispanic?

The criminal justice system is absurd but I don’t see how Target is doing something wrong.

The Minneapolis-based retailer was accused of violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employers from discriminating based on race, gender and other characteristics
I'm usually optimistic about this country, but this story and the one below are just disheartening to read.

This is literally the dumbest thing I've ever read ...

So, because I'm not hiring you to sell weed, I shouldn't be allowed to exclude you from my applicant pool for being convicted of selling weed ... I mean are we serious?

Jesus H Christ the world is losing it ...

I've seen many minorities working at Target. I've worked in Target when I was in high school and I'm hispanic. I'd say 60 percent of the folks were minorities.

I don't see the problem with a company using background checks to keep those who they feel are criminals out of their business. I thought that was the entire point of one? People pull the race card out for anything I guess...

Perception

I see many, depending on the location

That's why I was surprised to see this.

The Targets in my area are 90% Mexican, Black, and Asian (non-gentrified SF Bay Area). I mean if they discriminate here, they will literally have no work force, so I don't think they have a choice :lol:

Slippery slope racist bout to be like.. "we can't hire you Liu Kang, Chad couldn't go to UCLA like you because affirmative action in the admission process made it unfair.."

Back
Top Bottom