Teen commits suicide on webcam as others watch

Sorry if its been posted. It all started in this thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112065441http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112065441http://forum.bodybuilding...howthread.php?t=112065441

And then this thread followed the next day:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112080741http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112080741http://forum.bodybuilding...howthread.php?t=112080741

His Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/forgettingthepastagainhttp://www.myspace.com/forgettingthepastagainhttp://www.myspace.com/forgettingthepastagain

Suicide Note:

http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=162252http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=162252http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=162252

RIP

MIAMI, Florida (CNN)
-- With his webcam trained on him, a Florida teenager died in his bed of a drug overdose while others watched over the Internet,officials said Friday.

Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper said it was clear that the teen committed suicide.

corner_wire_BL.gif

l_fe3fe03fd1524e247124f7b46a69ce7b.jpg

Some of those watching urged him to take more drugs while others debated whether he had taken enough to kill himself. Hours passed before someone finallynotified authorities that he appeared lifeless, officials said.

The teenager was pronounced dead Wednesday afternoon in Pembroke Pines, Florida, said Wendy Crane, investigator for the Broward County MedicalExaminer's Office.

The cause of death was found to be an overdose of benzodiazepine, an antidepressant, as well as other opiate drugs used to treat depression, Crane said. CNNis not reporting the teenager's name.

The youth's body was found in his apartment behind a locked door, which police broke down. Police turned off the webcam and computer, Crane said.
video.gif
Watch CNN's John Zarrella detailthe webcam suicide »

She said he did not take anything on camera, according to footage she reviewed, but he blogged between 3 and 4 a.m. Wednesday that he had taken an overdoseof drugs. He also posted a suicide note.

He was seen lying on his bed on the streaming video, posted on the Web site *********. On the site, a person can stream video from a Web camera while"viewers" chat with each other in a box next to the video, Crane said. The comments and video have since been removed from the Web site.

Crane read the comments posted during the 10 hours the youth could be seen lying on his bed.

As the teenager was lying on his bed, she said, people were typing things like, "Oh, that's not enough to kill you." Others, she said, wereegging him on, saying things like "Go ahead and do it." Still others thought it wasn't real, Crane said.

About 11 a.m. Wednesday, Crane said, some viewers began to get concerned, writing things like, "He's not moving" and "He's notbreathing."

One contacted the site's moderator to get the youth's contact information, she said, and the police were notified.

The teen "has made threats in the past regarding suicide and possibly had previous attempts," she said.

********* CEO Michael Seibel said in a statement, "we regret that this has occurred and want to respect the privacy of the broadcaster and his familyduring this time."

Pembroke Pines police Sgt. John Gazzano said the case is under investigation.

BrowardCounty Chief Medical Examiner Joshua Perper said the teen may have stood a chance of surviving had someone notified authorities rightaway.

"If somebody had come immediately after he took tablets, then probably not all the tablets would have been absorbed. Then, therefore, they could washhis stomach and get rid of the additional tablets. Certainly, he would have had a much better chance."

The youth's father said he is "appalled" that people watched and did nothing.

"I wish they would have given him the assistance that he was crying out for," the father said. "They did not respond to him. They only didlong after the fact."

He said his son, who attended Broward Community College and wanted to be a paramedic, had bipolar disorder and was being treated for depression.

The father dismissed the suggestion that people thought the video was fake. "It was not fake, was it? You don't assume. You have to find out if itwas true or false."

Perper said the existence of a note left no doubt that the young man committed suicide.

"He left a note, which is very clear. And our examination did not reveal any evidence of trauma or any evidence of natural disease on internalexamination. And we did a screen of the urine, which revealed the presence of medication, mostly antidepressant drugs," Perper said

The father said he had no reason to believe his son was having problems.

"He was a good son," he said. "I'm sorry that no one could help him when I was not around to help him myself."

That is disgusting...the people who watched should be prosecuted.

i dunno...i don't have sympathy for people who take their own life.
It's not always that simple yo, some people are mentally ill

He said his son, who attended Broward Community College and wanted to be a paramedic, had bipolar disorder and was being treated for depression.

sad. I remember awhile ago when some dude hung himself on a webcam. People reacted the same way.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

no they shouldnt. If he had posted that thread on NT, people would have done the exact same things; egging him on, saying it wasnt enough to killhim, doubting that he was being serious.

But eh one difference would be that i think the Mods here would alert the authorities as soon as they saw the live feed. well at least now they will if thisoccurs in the future

WHAT? prosecuted for what? they didnt do anything. im not sayin i dont feel for the guy, and wish he got the help he needed, but He took his OWN life.

he had a kid?

that is so selfish, i dont feel bad for this dude

suicide is the cowards way out and now a kid is fatherless and his mom will be forced to raise him alone and explain why his daddy isnt around

BB.com people are ruthless. Trust me on this.

but he shouldve asked for professional help though and not handle things on his own. he already knew he had a condition.

EDIT:

A big ? here is why didn't these people call 911 right away but instead let him do it and even encourage it?People man...people.

As written by his sister:
Yes, he died yesterday. Dad came home to find police here and they told him that he'd already passed. He wasn't allowed up. We don't know how long he'd been gone. Thank you for the nice things that you said about that. He really was a riot.

I hope that nobody ever has to go through something like this. It is not easy. It is very difficult to understand. However, I'll share what I've gathered so far in the hopes that maybe it will help someone else out.

He suffered from bipolarism and depression (both of which may be hereditary). They are illnesses that somehow affect the mind. There are a few theories as to how. One of which has to do with neurological signals being dull or ineffective. He didn't usually have situational "triggers". He loved his life, his friends, and his family. Despite that love and despite fear of the unknown and afterlife, he had a compulsion to die. This compulsion didn't make sense to him (as it doesn't to most people) but it was still very strong. His Highs were very high and then would swing extremely, suicidally, low for no apparent reason.

His attempts and threats were exhausting, even to me. But it's part of the illness. The only reason they were "attempts" is because he had been caught before succeeding.

This illness was like a cancer in that the neurological control that we have over our choice to live, he did not have. This illness ate away at him everyday and everynight. He saw the good in his life and the friendships and love, and battled with this insane illness as best he could, but he didn't win. He didn't just give up. It won. Even up until the end, he still tried to reach out (which is one of the few ways we know how to fight this poorly understood disease), but it won. To those that tried to fight this exhausting battle with us, we thank you. Thank you for helping to extend our time with him. We tried... so hard. I'm so sorry. But, thank you for all that you did do.

Sincerely,
Rosalind Biggs (big sister)

ps: i only signed on the explain and thank and i will put the final arrangements that we make on this site if anyone is interested. I can't respond to pms, comments, or anything else, though. Sorry.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

Originally Posted by thagreatj

WHAT? prosecuted for what? they didnt do anything. im not sayin i dont feel for the guy, and wish he got the help he needed, but He took his OWN life.
Exactly. They didn't do anything. Even if somebody is killing themselves it should be illegal to let them. What sense does it make forsomebody to sit down and watch this?

no they shouldnt. If he had posted that thread on NT, people would have done the exact same things; egging him on, saying it wasnt enough to kill him, doubting that he was being serious.

But eh one difference would be that i think the Mods here would alert the authorities as soon as they saw the live feed. well at least now they will if this occurs in the future
A thread is understandable, I'm talking about the people who actually watched him go through with it.

It's like negligence.

What a damn shame...
smh.gif
@ those people egging him on. And
indifferent.gif
to him for taking his own life.

Originally Posted by thagreatj

Exactly. They didn't do anything. Even if somebody is killing themselves it should be illegal to let them. What sense does it make for somebody to sit down and watch this?

no they shouldnt. If he had posted that thread on NT, people would have done the exact same things; egging him on, saying it wasnt enough to kill him, doubting that he was being serious.

But eh one difference would be that i think the Mods here would alert the authorities as soon as they saw the live feed. well at least now they will if this occurs in the future
A thread is understandable, I'm talking about the people who actually watched him go through with it.

your views are how people like Hitler and Castro came to power

shows how ignorant people are, thinking a joke cant turn into something serious... makes you feel like an #@! to whoever encourage him to take more...

Originally Posted by ThiPham

shows how ignorant people are, thinking a joke cant turn into something serious... makes you feel like an #@! to whoever encourage him to take more...

dude was going to do it whether they egged him on or not.

he lived down the street from me here in pembroke pines

smh.gif
R.I.P

edit-

just watched our local newscast and the parents seemed emotionless
smh.gif

-bdis-

Back
Top Bottom