Teen denied heart transplant due to bad grades and trouble with the law according to family

so how you feel about this one?

http://gma.yahoo.com/teenager-denie...liance-183726491--abc-news-wellness.html?vp=1

A Georgia teenager needs a lifesaving heart transplant, but his family says low grades and trouble with the law have kept him off the transplant list.

Doctors at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston told the family of 15-year-old Anthony Stokes that they won't put him on the transplant list because of his history of "noncompliance," according to ABC's Atlanta affiliate WSBTV.

"They said they don't have any evidence that he would take his medicine or that he would go to his follow-ups," Melencia Hamilton, Anthony's mother, told WSBTV.

Anthony has an enlarged heart and has been given six months to live, according to WSBTV.

The hospital released a statement saying that it was continuing to work with the family to explore its options.

"We follow very specific criteria in determining eligibility for a transplant of any kind," hospital spokeswoman Patty Gregory said in the statement to ABCNews.com.

ABCNews.com was not able to reach Hamilton.

Last edited:
Grades should be taken out of the equation. But the trouble with the law, that's a choice I agree with. I have a friend on a lung transplant list with little time left. I'd be hateful if some criminal was put ahead of him.

Grades should be taken out of the equation. But the trouble with the law, that's a choice I agree with. I have a friend on a lung transplant list with little time left. I'd be hateful if some criminal was put ahead of him.

That's ********. So dudes life is worth less? Those lists should be based on the real need of the transplants, not somebody's history. Kid is only 15. :smh:

Misleading title is misleading.

Stupid comment is stupid comment

There's a great chance that many on the list won't get a heart. That's why stringent measures have to be set. The title makes it seem as if he was all scheduled for the surgery until the doc got his transcripts.

All sensitive that I'm snuffing out this crock of a post before it picks up steam. :lol:

what a dumb comparison, since alcohol directly has a negative impact on the liver and allegedly being a bad student and an enlarged heart have no correlation

Did I say anything about being a bad student? No, and neither did the hospital. NONCOMPLIANCE. Get a F'ing clue.

If the patient is non-compliant with the transplant rules, this is a non issue.

Would you give an alcoholic a liver transplant if they were going to keep drinking?
what a dumb comparison, since alcohol directly has a negative impact on the liver and allegedly being a bad student and an enlarged heart have no correlation
yea that comparison was terrible....no wonder the rest of the world is ahead the US in education

dude typed that so comfortably too 
laugh.gif

People are not too bright in this thread. The point is if you're not compliant with the transplant rules, you're off the list. Face it, none of us know what makes the kid non compliant, but I highly doubt it's what the mother suggested.

Would you give an alcoholic a liver transplant if they were going to keep drinking?
yea that comparison was terrible....no wonder the rest of the world is ahead the US in education

laugh.gif

You 2 are actually missing the point.

There's a great chance that many on the list won't get a heart. That's why stringent measures have to be set. The title makes it seem as if he was all scheduled for the surgery until the doc got his transcripts.

All sensitive that I'm snuffing out this crock of a post before it picks up steam. :lol:

What are you even talking about?

It's sad, but I'm assuming that transplant list is pretty long with not many organs to go around

Should a person who didn't follow doctors orders or take meds get the heart.
Or

The person who did everything possible, went to every follow up appointment, took every med he was prescribed.

Maybe if he followed doctors orders the first time he wouldn't even be in this situation.

This goes on the family no 15 year old should be out there getting into trouble especially one with heart issues

laugh.gif
You 2 are actually missing the point.
Not really. I get the rules thing but comparing this situation w/ someone who has a drinking problem is incredibly stupid.

It would have been better if he provided an example that didn't involve something that would directly destroy an organ.

edit: I get the point. The comparison was stupid as **** though. I will sympathize with someone who's going to die because their grades aren't top notch over someone who's going to die because they had a drinking problem. The drinking problem is the reason why their liver is ****** up but bad grades ain't the reason this kid has heart problems. Rules are in place for a reason and hopefully they didn't offer to do the transplant and then reject it after they saw his grades because that is ****** up. Can't be getting the family hopes up and then crushing them like that because you didn't follow your own rules before you made a decision.

Last edited:
People are not too bright in this thread. The point is if you're not compliant with the transplant rules, you're off the list. Face it, none of us know what makes the kid non compliant, but I highly doubt it's what the mother suggested.
this

Doggie, do you really think his grades are what made him non compliant? Can't be serious. It was likely a history of not taking medication (but none of us actually know due to HIPPA, as I suggested earlier).

The liver/alcohol comment is to provide an example of what non compliance can entail. Not comparing it to this child's case, I'm simply stating if a potential organ transplant recipient is non compliant (for whatever reason), they're off the list. Is that so hard to grasp?

Last edited:
Shut up I didn't realize the title was misleading. The reason he was denied wasnt even stated so your example was still dumb as hell because we truly don't know what made him "non-compliant". The family says its because of his grades/criminal history. Who knows if they're right or not...Higher ups can easily wing it on some "he won't take his medicine" which sounds dumb as ****. You telling me a 15 year old wont take his medicine after a transplant? :lol: AIGHT

Edit: why am I not surprised that its a black kid :lol: fitting the first kid I've ever heard of to be denied a transplant happens to be one lol :smh:

Last edited:
i would agree but only under the circumstance that there is a shortage of hearts for heart transplants (which i assume is true). if you had to choose to grant only person life between 2 people you might as well give it to the person who will more likely make a positive impact in this world and also is more likely to survive/live longer through compliance.

Shut up I didn't realize the title was misleading. The reason he was denied wasnt even stated so your example was still dumb as hell because we truly don't know what made him "non-compliant". The family says its because of his grades/criminal history. Who knows if they're right or not...Higher ups can easily wing it on some "he won't take his medicine" which sounds dumb as ****. You telling me a 15 year old wont take his medicine after a transplant? :lol: AIGHT

Edit: why am I not surprised that its a black kid :lol: fitting the first kid I've ever heard of to be denied a transplant happens to be one lol :smh:

Not everything in this world is done because a person is a minority. No need at all to bring race into this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom