Teen denied heart transplant due to bad grades and trouble with the law according to family

yall are naive if you think he was denied a heart transplant for having bad grades, but hearing that's the case definitely caught your attention didn't it. until i know why he was denied for being non-compliant, can't really speak on whether it's right or wrong.

I think there is more to this story. There are very strict guidelines about who qualifies, and while doctors didn't specify the reason his family just stated his grades as if that was the primary reason.

A huge factor in having a successful, long-living transplant is compliance. Patient compliance with transplants can dictate whether a transplant will survive. Bad compliance could even prevent someone from receiving a transplant. There are many different factors that go into a successful transplant: medication compliance, compliance with nutrition, doctors appointments, insurance, finances, etc. You may wonder how you can help with the patient's compliance. You may also feel stress due to monitoring the compliance of the patient in addition to providing so much other care. These are valid feelings, but compliance is such a large component in transplant survival that without good adherence the patient could lose their transplant or become very sick.

http://www.giftoflifefamilyhouse.org/resources/caregiverlifeline/patientcompliance/

People are not too bright in this thread. The point is if you're not compliant with the transplant rules, you're off the list. Face it, none of us know what makes the kid non compliant, but I highly doubt it's what the mother suggested.

They should @least give him a chance to have a change of heart
mean.gif
I see it

The "trouble with the law" and "bad grades" thing are totally irrelevant...especially the bad grades thing.

The fact that he's had a history of not following doctor's orders is what really got him denied.

Donor organs are rare. There's no room for them to take any chances with that stuff.

That's gotta be terrible for the family though.

:frown:

Also I want to say money and power or fame has more to do with this as well. Tons of people get denied transplants. You really have to be the right candidate for it.

If the patient is non-compliant with the transplant rules, this is a non issue.

Would you give an alcoholic a liver transplant if they were going to keep drinking?
the fact that 4 idiots agreed with this is insane

some classless lames on niketalk these days

Shut up I didn't realize the title was misleading. The reason he was denied wasnt even stated so your example was still dumb as hell because we truly don't know what made him "non-compliant". The family says its because of his grades/criminal history. Who knows if they're right or not...Higher ups can easily wing it on some "he won't take his medicine" which sounds dumb as ****. You telling me a 15 year old wont take his medicine after a transplant? :lol: AIGHT

Edit: why am I not surprised that its a black kid :lol: fitting the first kid I've ever heard of to be denied a transplant happens to be one lol :smh:

first of all, read the story if you're going to comment on it. the MOTHER said that the reason was because the hospital "didn't have any evidence that he would take his medicine or that he would go to his follow-ups".

second, you are officially a lame for bringing race into this.

OP needs to do more research!

Keepers of the nation’s transplant list have strict guidelines about who qualifies, and while doctors didn’t specify the reason, family friends told Thomas they’ve been told it’s partly because Anthony has had low grades and trouble with the law.

:rofl: Family friends told the reporter this crap and the reporter went it even without fact checking! :smh: I am surprise family friends didn't add race into the mix

Regardless the kid is on the list now 3 days after the news report.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/family-says-dekalb-teen-being-denied-heart-transpl/nZL3K/

:lol: @ being denied over bad grades and trouble with the law.... these reporters are such imbeciles.

Last edited:
Doggie, do you really think his grades are what made him non compliant? Can't be serious. It was likely a history of not taking medication (but none of us actually know due to HIPPA, as I suggested earlier).

The liver/alcohol comment is to provide an example of what non compliance can entail. Not comparing it to this child's case, I'm simply stating if a potential organ transplant recipient is non compliant (for whatever reason), they're off the list. Is that so hard to grasp?
agree wth you 100%

when you get a transplanted organ, you are not just back to normal overnight.  you basically have to be on anti-rejection medications everyday. I know for kidney transplants, for example, missing your meds for even 1-2 days can lead to rejection.  Even so you're usually faced with many hospilizations because of increased risk of infection.  Patients often need psychiatric evals and have to show a good social support otherwise they fall in the transplant list.  If this kid never met his appointments, didnt take his meds like he was suppose to or shows reckless behavior (ie smoking weed, drinking for example) - he will then be labeled as "non-compliant".

Also I want to say money and power or fame has more to do with this as well. Tons of people get denied transplants. You really have to be the right candidate for it.
Word

Shut up I didn't realize the title was misleading. The reason he was denied wasnt even stated so your example was still dumb as hell because we truly don't know what made him "non-compliant". The family says its because of his grades/criminal history. Who knows if they're right or not...Higher ups can easily wing it on some "he won't take his medicine" which sounds dumb as ****. You telling me a 15 year old wont take his medicine after a transplant? :lol: AIGHT

Edit: why am I not surprised that its a black kid :lol: fitting the first kid I've ever heard of to be denied a transplant happens to be one lol :smh:

first of all, read the story if you're going to comment on it. the MOTHER said that the reason was because the hospital "didn't have any evidence that he would take his medicine or that he would go to his follow-ups".

second, you are officially a lame for bringing race into this.

Are you slow? I clearly stated the family brought up grades/criminal history....then I stated again the hospital claimed their reasoning is that he wouldn't take his medicine....who knows if they came to this conclusion the right way or not....they're not allowed to speak on it

And all I said is that it's funny that the kid was black. It is funny because I kept from clicking on the link cause I automatically assumed he was. And he was!! :lol:

Some of y'all don't realize how much influence can push these procedures. I know this from personal experiences.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom