TEXAS LAWMAKER: ASIANS SHOULD CHANGE THEIR NAMES

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/09/brown-asian-names/

TEXAS LAWMAKER: ASIANS SHOULD CHANGE THEIR NAMES TO MAKE THEM 'EASIER FOR AMERICANS TO DEAL WITH'

On Tuesday, State Rep. Betty Brown (R) caused a firestorm during House testimony on voter identification legislation when she said that Asian-Americans shouldchange their names because they're too hard to pronounce:

"Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese - I understand it's a rather difficult language - do you think that it would behoove you and yourcitizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?" Brown said.

Brown later told [Organization of Chinese Americans representative Ramey] Ko: "Can't you see that this is something that would make it a lot easierfor you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that's easier for Americans to deal with?"

Yesterday, Brown continued to resist calls to apologize. Her spokesman said that Democrats "want this to just be about race."

I'm probably late on this, but SMH at this woman and those who think like her.

smh, this lady is wylin. she's prepared to dismiss part of a people's identity (in both name and nationality) for the sake of convenience.
smh.gif

laugh.gif
I agree! Too many Chungs, Les, Nguyens etc if they want to keep their culture sooooooooo much they can go back home. No?

Brown later told [Organization of Chinese Americans representative Ramey] Ko: "Can't you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that's easier for Americans to deal with?"

Yesterday, Brown continued to resist calls to apologize. Her spokesman said that Democrats "want this to just be about race."

While i dont really mind asian last names...........i cant deal with names like "Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff"

BTW......that really is someones last name

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

While i dont really mind asian last names...........i cant deal with names like "Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff"

BTW......that really is someones last name
roll.gif

Nguyens
Not chinese.

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

laugh.gif
I agree! Too many Chungs, Les, Nguyens etc if they want to keep their culture sooooooooo much they can go back home. No?
165640.gif
1zznr7o.jpg

Had this discussion with my English class just yesterday afternoon, quite interesting.

In my opinion, one of the reason why America is great is because of its diversity, people of different ethnicity have so much to offer.

laugh.gif
You must be real stupid if you can't put in the effort to pronounce those last names. Yeah?

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

laugh.gif
You must be real stupid if you can't put in the effort to pronounce those last names. Yeah?

You must be real stupid if you can't recognize sarcasm. Yeah?

Wowwwww. Didn't think i'd hear something like that.

Btw, theirs like 5 different "Truc Tran"s, and 8 different people with "Nguyen" (sp) for a
last name in my Macro Econ. class this semester
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And if it matters. I'm asian and my last name has 16 letters in it.
embarassed.gif

Back
Top Bottom