The Bicycle Thread

My Trek DS3. My wife has the lady's DS3.

20200620_133843.jpg

^ SOLID bikes. Lockout front forks, disc brakes, cables running through the body. 🤙

saddles are something you gotta try out. what works for me might not work for you. if you haven’t been riding your gooch is gonna feel like you took sand paper to it regardless :lol:

I just pulled the bike out of storage. need to start putting some miles in. need to get her cleaned up and lubed to get back on the road

5BE4B38A-7FB8-4FB7-969E-0949C893F23B.jpeg

Cinelli x MASH Histogram?

OG Cinelli Mash, this was before the histogram

Gotcha, i'm still new to the bike scene so i don't know how many times the 2 companies have collaborated. I only know about the Histogram and Parallax.

I see the Easton handlebars, i had no clue they made bike components. My boy gifted me an Easton stem and i thought he was joking with me. I played baseball growing up, so that's where i know them from. :lol:

Need some advice on a bike purchase.

I'm interested in a road bike but these NYC streets are unforgiving. Ain't tryna bust tubes left and right on all these pot holes lol.

What do you all recommend? Also, fixed gear or multi. Any difference in maintenance, speed?

cables running through the body.

Yeah, until you go to change one!

My Cannondale is brutal for that - first time I replaced them I just pulled them out and it took me hours to get it back through. It also rattled until I put cable wraps inside - I was chasing a click for months until I worked out it was the cable inside the big stiff tubes. Put that stuff for holding computer cables together around the cables and fed it through the hole and the silence was beautiful.

My custom road bike has the brake cable through the TT but they put a tube all the way through and you just run it with outer all the way - a few grams heavier but super easy and looks clean.

Need some advice on a bike purchase.

I'm interested in a road bike but these NYC streets are unforgiving. Ain't tryna bust tubes left and right on all these pot holes lol.

What do you all recommend? Also, fixed gear or multi. Any difference in maintenance, speed?

On gears if it’s just for around town a single speed will do - I commute in the winter on one and it hurts at first but you get used to it (good for you too!). There’s no question that maintenance is easier too - I just change the freewheel and chain every few years - and they are cheap. If you have a geared bike the chain alone would cost that - and they wear out faster.

Gears are faster overall - but there’s something about a single speed (or even more a fixie) that makes you just get on with it.

For rough streets like that you want something with wider tyres - 32ish is good. They are tougher (and more comfortable) than skinny road tyres but still fast enough. I have Schwalbe Marathon Racers on my winter commuter - nice rolling, good p*ncture resistance - the only time I’ve ever taken them off is to change them after a few years.

A lot of more modern road type bikes will have clearance for a tyre like that - or at least 28s. Any MTB/hybrid will have even more space and you can just get a minimal tread. Downside is they aren’t quite as efficient - more comfortable though.

B57854A7-D921-4128-A3C6-C37256971203.jpeg

Here’s the old broad. 87 Schwinn High Sierra that was gifted to me. In decent shape for the most part, mechanically very sound as my buddy kept it tuned it up. I have got out on a few rides so far but my rear tire won’t stay inflated. So ended up needing an inner tube. I did end up upgrading to Serfas Drifter City Tire 26 x 2.0. It originally had 26 x 1.5 on it. So I’m excited to ride a wider tire.

My Trek DS3. My wife has the lady's DS3.

20200620_133843.jpg

Awesome choice buddy. Same as my bike. What color is the front one? Can't tell if it's silver or white? I picked up my 2020 Volt DS3 back in October and while I haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked due to being affected with Crohn's, I did take it out for 15 minutes around the neighborhood and it was great. How long have you had yours?

Awesome choice buddy. Same as my bike. What color is the front one? Can't tell if it's silver or white? I picked up my 2020 Volt DS3 back in October and while I haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked due to being affected with Crohn's, I did take it out for 15 minutes around the neighborhood and it was great. How long have you had yours?

I got the Silver one and my Wife's is purple. I've had mine for a couple of months and I love it. Crohn's is tough but I'm glad you're doing well. Stomach issues suck. I had Ulcerative Colitis years ago and Docs thought I had Crohn's.

I got the Silver one and my Wife's is purple. I've had mine for a couple of months and I love it. Crohn's is tough but I'm glad you're doing well. Stomach issues suck. I had Ulcerative Colitis years ago and Docs thought I had Crohn's.

Small world buddy. I actually had ulcerative colitis (diagnosed in '93) from age 16 to 25 (I'm 43 going on 44 soon) when I had j-pouch surgery done in 2001/2002. Had my entire large intestine removed. Worked good for about a decade. But they found some hidden disease in my small intestine. It was Crohn's the entire time. 😞 Having ulcerative colitis for so long eventually made my liver fail and I had a liver transplant on 10/7/03. But now, the Crohn's has me really messed up.

I took a leave from work (ST disability) and hoping new meds (infusion) works. I was in BAD BAD shape end of last year (using the bathroom some 30+ times a day). Sucks as I want to ride, just can't too too far from home if you know what I mean.

I hope your doing okay bud. What meds they got you on? I hope they are helping you. Most people don't understand serious GI issues and diseases unless someone they know suffer from it.

I'm glad you got your bike when you did. Not sure if you looked, but every single DS 3 on Trek's website are sold out. Can't find one anywhere. Bikes have blown up with no gyms open. Stay well buddy. 👍👍 If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask. Diagnosed in '93 so I've been down the GI issues road a long long time.

Last edited:
I want to get a mountain bike but everytime i see those prices i be like oh hell naw lol would rather buy a hoopty

maybe one day i will stomach the price but $1k plus for a bike is crazy to me and i know they get more expensive than that

Solid ride yesterday.

2C49ADB6-EA0E-4715-9959-772D4A9F0441.jpeg 4C8737C0-8854-4911-AE50-5A7F121D9B5D.jpeg

What app do you use to track your ride? Strava?

I want to get a mountain bike but everytime i see those prices i be like oh hell naw lol would rather buy a hoopty

maybe one day i will stomach the price but $1k plus for a bike is crazy to me and i know they get more expensive than that

I felt the same way a few months ago before i even knew anything about bikes. $500-$600 is considered "entry-level" for a fixie and my budget was $400. :lol:

Thankfully i was able to buy frame for half the price and only came out of pocket for a few components (the rest of the compoments were gifted to me by my boy who's been riding fixies for years.)

Right now, the way my bike is spec'd out, it's like $1.3k if i would have paid full price for everything 🥴

I felt the same way a few months ago before i even knew anything about bikes. $500-$600 is considered "entry-level" for a fixie and my budget was $400.
John Wick John Wick & Thierry Henry Thierry Henry , you guys don't mind used, do you? I have a decent road bike & mountain bike, and I paid slightly over half of what both of them were new when they came out. 🤙 Used is the ticket, imho.

John Wick John Wick & Thierry Henry Thierry Henry , you guys don't mind used, do you? I have a decent road bike & mountain bike, and I paid slightly over half of what both of them were new when they came out. 🤙 Used is the ticket, imho.

I don't mind used, in fact i was looking on craigslist and offer up before i bought my frameset. I'm not that tall, so it was kinda difficult to find something under 50cm.

Back
Top Bottom