The Bicycle Thread

Are you committed to that bike or are you open to suggestions? I’m 6’2” and ridden a few contenders in the Ebike market.
I'm very much open. I ride a CAAD12 now, just want something to get to work. Preferably with throttle since, wear suit on some days and DC is hilly and humid in the summer.

Usually you can. For example Canyon has atleast in europe 30 days after receiving your bike where you can exchange your stem or handlebar for free. Maybe have to pay postage to send your old one back etc. Differs maybe for brand to brand.
Ah that’s dope! Maybe I’ve never spent enough🤣🤣

Got some new wheels
20210114_103604.jpg

Usually you can. For example Canyon has atleast in europe 30 days after receiving your bike where you can exchange your stem or handlebar for free. Maybe have to pay postage to send your old one back etc. Differs maybe for brand to brand.
I think a lot of general bike shops do that too. When I got my bike, the told me I can change those things for free. I guess make sure the bike fits the rider so they don't have to return it.

I'm very much open. I ride a CAAD12 now, just want something to get to work. Preferably with throttle since, wear suit on some days and DC is hilly and humid in the summer.

i don’t like the super73 due to size. Compact but not the business for us bigger dudes. And for the price I wasn’t impressed with the performance and refinement. I’ve ridden the Surron Lightbee, Surron X, the Segway alternative, and a few 2 stroke mini bikes.
By far the Surron X is the way to go. 3500 for an amazing piece of equipment, open to modifications, and you can install pedals if you absolutely need them. Easy to get plated here in California too, and were the worst state when it comes to street legality.
Once you get into fuel v. ebikes it’s a harder fight for the best.

Finally picked up the helmet I was looking at for months. I first saw it towards the end of summer...They were on sale, but only had a S. Just checked today after getting an email from REI and they had S/M/L. Got my M order in and now they're sold out, glad I grabbed in time. Anyone use their helmets before? Seemed a good deal and matches my Bianchi :pimp:

Finally picked up the helmet I was looking at for months. I first saw it towards the end of summer...They were on sale, but only had a S. Just checked today after getting an email from REI and they had S/M/L. Got my M order in and now they're sold out, glad I grabbed in time. Anyone use their helmets before? Seemed a good deal and matches my Bianchi :pimp:

That would be a TT helmet if it didn't have the front vents.....nah but as long as you like the design, the color matches the celeste of your Bianchi, and you're happy, that's all that matters. You caught a hell of a deal too since it has Mips.

That would be a TT helmet if it didn't have the front vents.....nah but as long as you like the design, the color matches the celeste of your Bianchi, and you're happy, that's all that matters. You caught a hell of a deal too since it has Mips.

I wasn't sure about the Ignite vs the Overtake. This was the same price as the one I got.

I'm a little unsure of the Ignite design, but I thought it might suit my head shape more than the Overtake :lol:

i don’t like the super73 due to size. Compact but not the business for us bigger dudes. And for the price I wasn’t impressed with the performance and refinement. I’ve ridden the Surron Lightbee, Surron X, the Segway alternative, and a few 2 stroke mini bikes.
By far the Surron X is the way to go. 3500 for an amazing piece of equipment, open to modifications, and you can install pedals if you absolutely need them. Easy to get plated here in California too, and were the worst state when it comes to street legality.
Once you get into fuel v. ebikes it’s a harder fight for the best.

yeah the Super73 Z1 will be too small for the taller folks. I’m a shorty so the height on this was just right. The Super 73 RX and S2 may be okay for ya but for the same amount of money a Sutton X will be better. Even a Onyx RCR if you want something that goes 60mph if need be with 70 miles of range going 20 on just throttle. Price is at about 4K but the look is pretty premium with the metal and wood grain panels.

Haven’t ridden in a month as the roads are really icy here.

New brakes today though. The original Promax brakes on my CAADX were hopeless so I changed them for TRP Spyres which are supposed to be the best cable disc brakes - still hopeless. It almost felt like the wrong combination of levers and callipers you can do with v-brakes - a firm lever but no power at all.

I bought some of these cable hydraulic brakes - don’t want to have to change shifters and brakes and everything. These seem really good - easy to set up, good feel and no rubbing. I haven’t bedded them in but they’re already better than the old ones. Can’t wait to try them out properly.

F53763AF-0741-46AF-9DD1-980857FD8F88.jpeg

4DCF831B-77DC-41EE-9A2F-FB912664E5FA.jpeg

I just need to replace the inner on the rear - it got frayed taking it out the old brakes - if you look carefully you can see a little bit sticking out of where the cable stop is.

Haven’t ridden in a month as the roads are really icy here.

New brakes today though. The original Promax brakes on my CAADX were hopeless so I changed them for TRP Spyres which are supposed to be the best cable disc brakes - still hopeless. It almost felt like the wrong combination of levers and callipers you can do with v-brakes - a firm lever but no power at all.

I bought some of these cable hydraulic brakes - don’t want to have to change shifters and brakes and everything. These seem really good - easy to set up, good feel and no rubbing. I haven’t bedded them in but they’re already better than the old ones. Can’t wait to try them out properly.

F53763AF-0741-46AF-9DD1-980857FD8F88.jpeg

4DCF831B-77DC-41EE-9A2F-FB912664E5FA.jpeg

I just need to replace the inner on the rear - it got frayed taking it out the old brakes - if you look carefully you can see a little but sticking out of where the cable stop is.

What's your take on rim vs disc brakes?

^ I would say on Carbon wheels is when there is a braking difference IMO. Carbon rims even with the best pads you can get, I could never get the same performance vs an AL wheel with rim braking.

So in the case of Carbon rims, I think Disc brakes are better when you compare Carbon to Carbon.

What's your take on rim vs disc brakes?

Depends totally on the use and the weather conditions - my best bike has rim brakes and they're totally fine because it really only goes out in the dry. My wet weather commuter has discs and they're great - because it really only goes out in bad weather and they make a great difference.

Off road you definitely want discs.

So, I like them, but I also think they're unnecessary on a road bike most of the time.

Depends totally on the use and the weather conditions - my best bike has rim brakes and they're totally fine because it really only goes out in the dry. My wet weather commuter has discs and they're great - because it really only goes out in bad weather and they make a great difference.

Off road you definitely want discs.

So, I like them, but I also think they're unnecessary on a road bike most of the time.
always wit da best info my man hope u been doing good.

yes offroad u need discs unless ur not going fast then rim brakes will suffice but if u do any downhill u gunna need discs

Been looking for a bike for little while (since sometime in the Fall)

I decided on a Specialized Diverge e5 base since a gravel bike would offer some versatility

I’ve been checking shops online and following some shops on social media

since it’s cold and I don’t intend on using it until it warms up I didn’t want to sacrifice color though one shop I had been following has had the grey color for awhile and I found another with the green, both within a couple hour drive from me

found out last week that MSRP was going up about 10% starting today so I decided to do a wider search, basically looking at bordering states in addition to within states

4772D746-BC87-4BEA-8A45-7A0E1C038CED.png
82A809E3-73BB-4F3B-A775-938BBBF6FF0A.jpeg

Would have made the 4+ hour drive to Ohio yesterday if it weren’t for the snow

all the shops I called at closer stores we’re saying that they’re being told an ETA of June for the orange color

Last edited:
How's the climbing going?

I am starting the year off slow and I can't even blame the weather. We've been having some really good sun for January. I did only 3 rides last month but all have been sort of flat terrain. What sucks is if I take time off from riding, I sort of need some mellow rides before I can even do any sort of climbing. Hopefully this month, I'll get some more in.

Back
Top Bottom