The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by allen3xis

STORRS, Conn. - It's difficult to take much from Midnight Madness. However, here are some observations from my day spent up at UConn.

- It's going to be awfully difficult to keep freshman point guard Kemba Walker off the floor. Despite the fact that the team played a 10-minute intrasquad scrimmage, there's a reason why Walker looks as though he belongs. He's quick, gets into the lane and a three-guard lineup of him, A.J. Price and Jerome Dyson would be scary in transition.

- Hasheem Thabeet has added about seven pounds of muscle and is certainly oozing with confidence - especially on the offensive end. Thabeet has also opted to get rid of the braids.

- People have to remember that the 21-year-old Thabeet started playing basketball at the age of 15. He said he started playing because he was tall, but that he has grown to love it.

- Jim Calhoun looks much thinner after radiation this past summer to treat skin cancer.

- A.J. Price on his knee. ``If it was a game tonight, I'd be playing. I'm very close to 100 percent."

- Price on North Carolina being the clear-cut preseason No. 1 team: ``They have a good team and deserve everything they're getting now. As far as them being number one now, it's not how you start, it's how you finish."

- Adrien on the Tar Heels: ``I'd rather be under the radar."

- Adrien has a chance to become the first player under Calhoun to grab 1,000 career rebounds. He needs 232 this season. ``He's a stud," Calhoun said.

- Price also said he welcomes the opportunity to play off the ball with freshman Walker. ``He gives us something we didn't have last year - another point guard. If we need more scoring, I can slide to the two and we won't miss a beat."

- Calhoun said he would have rather been watching the Boise State football team.

- One insignificant footnote: Jerome Dyson edged out Walker and Gavin Edwards to win the Slam Dunk Contest.

AJ...he's gona move you off the ball, whether you like it or not.
WOooooooooooOOOOOWWWWWWW...today was midnight madness...and i've been in my room studying...%+% man, %+%...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I wouldn't even have known had i not read your thread...freaking Gampel is a 2min walk from my dorm...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Questions remain for players as practices begins
• Nevada coach Mark Fox wants to take his time with highly touted freshman forward Luke Babbitt. Fox was expecting to not have to worry about returning starting guard Brandon Fields. That is, until Fields and two freshmen, London Giles and Ahyaro Phillips, were suspended for misdemeanor petty larceny. The Wolf Pack is the pick in the WAC, but they will be extremely vulnerable if Fields is out for a long period of time. Nevada has a nasty nonconference schedule, including a rare home game on New Year's Eve against top-ranked North Carolina. This team needs to grow by then, not regress.
That's not a surprise whatsoever. I used to play with both Brandon and London. Neither of them ever seemed to have their heads on straight inthe least bit. Brandon used to always be hanging with our coach 24/7, and the coach was a complete joke of a human being. Definitely not the best influence.

Brandon came from what was considered one of the "bad" parts of town, and I still remember the day I saw his mom rollin around town in a brand newBenz
laugh.gif

I have not been on in a minute bu to all my Ville fans T Will is hurt and out 4 to 6 weeks lets hope he gets back and ready to play we will need him alot thisseason to make a run.

There have been other tough acts to follow - Michael Jordan in Chicago, Brett Favre in Green Bay - and drop-offs are expected in those situations.[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]Such is not the case in the land of the Delta Blues. As TyrekeEvans steps into the shoes of Derrick Rose as the next freshman phenom for the Memphis Tigers - as he did for the first time Friday night at the Tigers' firstofficial practice of the season at the FedEx Forum - the expectations are piled higher than a pulled pork sandwich around here.
"They're both great players," junior guard Willie Kemp said."Derrick wanted the ball when we needed a big shot down the stretch. His thing was getting by people and creating. Tyreke is more of a guy who can scoreanywhere on the court. He can play the '1,' the '2,' even the '3.' "

If that's true, Evans fills two voids. The Tigers will need him to score to help pick up the slack left by Rose's early departure for the NBA -where he was the No. 1 overall pick - by Chris Douglas-Roberts' early departure for the NBA. Rose gave coach John Calipari 14.9 points, 4.7 assists and 4.5 rebounds. Douglas-Roberts led the Tigers inscoring, averaging 18.1 points.

OK, Evans is not going to average the combined 33 points those two provided. And his game is wholly different than that of Rose. Rose is 6-3 and one of thefastest players with the ball in his hands the college game has seen. Evans is 6-6 and has a much more polished perimeter game but not the ball-handlingability or sheer athleticism of Rose. Few do.

Rose was the No. 3 overall prospect in the 2007 class, No. 1 among point guards. Evans is the No. 6 overall prospect in the 2008 class, No. 3 among pointguards. There is plenty of reason for optimism among Tigers faithful.

The new kid on the block doesn't lack for confidence, either.

"I don't feel any pressure," Evans told Rivals.com. "I'm just going out there looking forward to the season. A lot of people arecomparing me to Derrick Rose. I just want to get us back to the national championship. I'm ready to get out there and show people what I'm made of,show them what we can do this year.

"We (Evans and Rose) have totally two different games. He's more of a fast point guard, explosive. I'm more of a scorer. But hopefully I'llshow people what's different about our games on the court. I can't really talk too much about it, but I'll definitely show you on thecourt."

He got his first chance during Friday night's Memphis Madness, as the Tigers opened practice in front of 14,000 fans. Defense was hardly at a premium,but Evans scored the scrimmage's first points on a layup and later beat his man baseline for a dunk. He had another dunk on a pass off the backboard fromKemp; shortly thereafter, he stole an inbounds pass and assisted off the backboard to himself for another jam that got the crowd going.

"I'm learning the system, the dribble-drive offense," Evans said. "I'm getting to know Coach Cal better and my teammates. They'reall pretty good guys.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]"I'm feeling comfortable in the system and I'll feel more comfortable when I get the offense down pat. I know Coach willbe pushing me a lot in practice. I'm looking forward to going out and pushing myself hard every night and doing what he asks."
Calipari isn't ready to anoint Evans just yet. After Friday night's scrimmage, the coach was lamenting that he didn't know who on this teamwould want the ball late, like Rose and Douglas-Roberts last season.

"He (Evans) may not be that guy," Calipari said. "Until you put that number on your back, until you go in front of a hostile crowd on theroad and show somebody, you just don't know."

As Kemp said, Calipari may ask Evans to put the ball in the hole one night and distribute the next. He has enough handle to play the point whennecessary.

"In scrimmages, Coach has wanted me to run the point some and get the hang of it," Evans said. "Get the rebound, push the ball up the floor,look for a layup and if not kick it to the open guy. That's fine with me."

Evans could be a one-and-done college player, just like Rose. The subject is hardly the 800-pound gorilla in the room. The Tigers have had plenty of playersleave early, and they will continue to attract the kind of talent capable of making the quick jump.

"That's everybody's goal, to make it to the NBA," Evans said. "But right now it's business in college. I'm going to do whatit takes to have a good season this year, and hopefully if I have a good season and I'm ready, then I'll go. And if not, I'll stay however manyyears it takes to get to the NBA."

What will he have to accomplish to know he's ready?

"I'll have to do a lot to know I'm ready," Evans said. "Win a lot of games and hopefully get to the national championship."

ETC.: Calipari was thrilled with the crowd. He also said the team won because "nobody got hurt. That's all you hope for." …Douglas-Roberts, now a rookie for the New Jersey Nets, made a surprise appearance to help hang Memphis' Final Four banner. He received a rousing standingovation from the crowd. … Rose provided a special video message, and so did departed senior Joey Dorsey, now a rookie with the Houston Rockets. … Sean Taggart was a surprise winner of the 3-point contest. The other participants wereDoneal Mack, the team's leader in 3-pointers last season, Kemp and newcomersRoburt Sallie and Angel Garcia. … Even the four coaches from the Memphis-China exchangeprogram got a standing ovation when they were introduced. … Junior forward PierreHenderson Niles was introduced as having lost 50 pounds during the offseason. He promptly displayed what the weight loss had done for him, scoring on analley-oop during the scrimmage.

[h1]USC is all business at its first practice[/h1]

Coach Tim Floyd decides against a 'Midnight Madness' exhibition.

By David Wharton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 18, 2008

Behind-the-back passes and three-point shots filling the air.

Fastbreaks that ended with flying dunks, drawing "oohs" from the crowd.

Pretty much none of that occurred at USC's first official practice of the 2008-09 basketball season at the Galen Center on Friday night.

With Coach Tim Floyd deciding against a "Midnight Madness" exhibition for fans, the Trojans traded glitz for grit, running through various drills and listening to coaches bark about technique in an upstairs practice gym with the doors closed to visitors.

"Go straight to work," junior guard Daniel Hackett said. "I think it was good for us."
The Trojans were looking for a change-up after losing their opening game the last three seasons. "This year we do things different," Hackettsaid.

Floyd spent the practice restlessly circling the court, stopping the action on a regular basis to explain elements of footwork and the finer points of keepinga low center of gravity on defense.

"Your parents are out there working eight-hour days," he told the team. "We're asking you to come in here and work two and a half."

Big men practiced keeping their pivot feet down. Guards worked on passing. Everyone ran sprints.

Looking for excitement? Donte Smith scrambled to his right on a defensive drill, taking a hard charge from fellow guard Hackett. At the other end of the court,forwards Taj Gibson and Keith Wilkinson banged under the boards, both players landing on the court.

"It was real intense. Fast. Physical," freshman DeMar DeRozan said. "I learned a lot."

Alex Stepheson, the North Carolina transfer still awaiting an NCAA decision on his eligibility, looked strong in the post. Gibson had his knee wrapped after acollision with freshman Leonard Washington but does not expect to miss any practice.

DeRozan and another high-profile freshman, Percy Miller, had the best-looking shoes.

Beyond that, it was hard to tell much from one workout.

The outside world will get a chance to see for itself when USC plays its first exhibition at the Galen Center on Oct. 26.

WOooooooooooOOOOOWWWWWWW...today was midnight madness...and i've been in my room studying...%
The !%%% you doin' studying on a friday night, at UConn of all places?!

Hmmm......suspect......

Few notes from last night:

Tyreke looks NUTS out there, although he will be neither as good for the team as Rose or CDR, he can score anywhere.
Pierre has dropped atleast 50+ lbs and looks a whole lot more athletic out there.
Dozier has put on a good 7-10 lbs of lean muscle mass and is gonna be dominant out there.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Angel will be OK .... Dudes post game isnt really polished at all right now and he's not the most physical force.
Taggart looks good, Kemp looks good, and Doneal looks great ..

Witherspoon is gonna be GREAT in my opinion, fits a run and gun system perfectly.

Jay Bilas says he has Collison and Flynn 1a and 1b for best PG.

Rell, i think yall look alright. there's one kid I forget the name but he's supposed to be big time for 2010 i believe.

I think your talking about Dion Waiters...Scoops cousin from Philly, kids a beast

YO!
Alex Stepheson, the North Carolina transfer still awaiting an NCAA decision on his eligibility, looked strong in the post.
frown.gif

Damn, Alex. Hope your Pops is good. Sorry you will not be with us in Detroit.

,Sincerly
DF!!!

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

WOooooooooooOOOOOWWWWWWW...today was midnight madness...and i've been in my room studying...%

Hmmm......suspect......
the *#@* is right I go to St. John's and I don't stay in to study you're at a crazy school filled with hot whtie chicks

Originally Posted by PauliePeppas

Jay Bilas says he has Collison and Flynn 1a and 1b for best PG.

Rell, i think yall look alright. there's one kid I forget the name but he's supposed to be big time for 2010 i believe.

I think your talking about Dion Waiters...Scoops cousin from Philly, kids a beast
Hopefully, he stays far away from that idiot Scoop.

Damn, Alex. Hope your Pops is good. Sorry you will not be with us in Detroit.
That's pretty cool that UNC and their fans are gonna make the trek out to Detroit to watch the Final Four. You think they'll cheer forthe team that knocks them out of the tourney?

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

18d2x.jpeg

[h1]
[/h1][h1]Douglas-Roberts takes NBA break for Tiger fans[/h1]
By Scott Cacciola (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Saturday, October 18, 2008

He misted up when the spotlight found him and his name was announced. The crowd at FedExForum stood and chanted one last time -- yes, chanted those threefamiliar, beloved letters: "C-D-R! C-D-R!"

"Yeah, I got choked up a little out there," said Chris Douglas-Roberts, whose appearance at Memphis Madness on Friday Night was nostalgic andtouching and heartfelt and electric. "I really don't know what to say, man. For the first time."

A native of Detroit, Douglas-Roberts returned to Memphis as an adopted son, as an All-American who left town last spring for the NBA after helping lead theTigers to the national championship game as a junior. And as he moved his way up the stands to help his former teammates unfurl their banner, women pawed athim, children stopped him for autographs, grown men hugged him.

"If you didn't get chills watching that," University of Memphis coach John Calipari said, "then you don't have any emotion in yourbody."

Now a rookie guard with the New Jersey Nets, Douglas-Roberts arrived via charter flight in Memphis at 6:30 p.m.

He headed back to New Jersey at 11 p.m.

"I knew if I could be here," he said, "I had to do it."

He has excelled with the Nets in the preseason. Through three games, Douglas-Roberts is averaging 11.3 points on 50-percent shooting (83 percent from thefree-throw line) and 3.3 rebounds in 22 minutes per game. He made a big splash in his debut, an 18-point effort against the Heat in Paris. But he has also beenconsistent. Against the Celtics on Thursday, he scored 11 points on 4-of-8 shooting and grabbed three rebounds in 25 minutes.

"The fans just want someone who's going to come in and produce," Douglas-Roberts said. "New Jersey wants a winning team, and I feel likeI can help them win. So that's why the fans are rallying right now. We'll see how it is throughout the season."

Most pundits considered Douglas-Roberts a first-round selection in the NBA Draft, but he tumbled into the second round, No. 40 overall. Asked if he wasapproaching this season with a chip on his shoulder, he said: "Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I still got plenty to prove, man."

Because he was a second-round pick, Douglas-Roberts was not guaranteed a contact, but that also meant he was not bound to the four-year pay scale forplayers selected in the first round. Instead, he signed a two-year deal that he said was worth "a million and something," which worked out well.

"They paid me like a first-rounder," he said. "I was disappointed (on draft night). And really I was disappointed for about a month, becauseI felt it was a slap in the face. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I'm getting a great opportunity out there. They're letting meplay. They're giving me freedom."

The Nets run an offense similar to the dribble-drive motion that Calipari has adopted here, and that style suits Douglas-Roberts -- long, athletic, aslasher with a mid-range game -- well. He said he and his teammates pride themselves on defense, and the atmosphere throughout camp has been positive.

But Friday was all about saying good-bye. While Joey Dorsey and Derrick Rose, who joined Douglas-Roberts in the NBA this season, recorded messages for thefans that were played on the video boards, Douglas-Roberts' schedule allowed him to be here in person.

And as he waved to the crowd and choked back tears, the newest Tigers seemed almost awe-struck.
"Love, man," freshman forward WesleyWitherspoon said. "That was nothing but love. And he deserved it.

Hmmm......suspect......
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have 2 midterms early next week and a paper that is due, not to mention i had to work from 5.30-9.30pm yesterday so i am honestly pretty much out of thesocial loop
tired.gif
tired.gif

The funny thing is that when i was leaving my job, i saw a lot of people just "going somewhere"...and i was wondering if something was happening thati aint know about...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...not to mention my floor was quiet as hell on a friday night for the first time...had me wondering where all my residents were (i am anRA/CA)...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

^ Word, especially if they don't make it out of the 1st weekend...again.

Oh, wait...

Clever. Buuuuuuuuut doesn't hit a nerve, seeing as no Duke fan, including I, has ever made claims that Duke will win the National Championship or even make the Final Four.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Hmmm......suspect......
the %!@$ is right I go to St. John's and I don't stay in to study you're at a crazy school filled with hot whtie chicks

What are the girls looking like over at St.John's ?
nerd.gif
I need to get off this wack *@# campus at Columbia.

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

Hoyas suck

Really, ive never seen the hype especially the past couple of years. There soft as hell
you can't be soft and win the Big East back to back
pimp.gif
...Iguess as a Pitt fan I see your point cause yall play us tough.

But a final 4 and the Big East record the squad put together...they were anything but over hyped.

Back
Top Bottom