The College Basketball Post

Is he really that good?

He's grown to 6'2, has improved his three point shot tremendously from what it was last year at this time, he finishes going to the rim just like Tyus except he's a little bigger now. He was named EYBL MVP for this season. Howard Pulley just kept winning even without other major top talent.

Everyone should get a good look at him during peach jam

NCAA suspends Rick Pitino for five ACC games

Louisville coach Rick Pitino will be suspended for the first five ACC games in 2017-18 for failing to monitor his program during an alleged sex-for-pay scandal, and the program will be on probation for four years, the Division I Committee on Infractions announced Thursday.

It's also unclear if Louisville will keep its 2012-13 national championship after the committee issued "a vacation of basketball records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible from December 2010 and July 2014." The NCAA said the school must provide a list of games impacted by the decision within 45 days.

The Cardinals also will face scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions,a $5,000 fine and the forfeiture of any money received though conference revenue sharing from the 2012-15 NCAA tournaments.

The committee also accepted Louisville's self-imposed postseason ban from the 2015-16 season.

Slap on the wrist

For Pitino or the school? I agree on the 5 game suspension being lenient but the punishment for Louisville, especially if they revoke their National Championship is a fairly heavy cost.

Scholarship reduction and forfeiting shared ACC revenue over 3 years is no joke.

yea I wouldn't call that exactly a light penalty...still waiting on that UNC ruling...may be in another 5 years we will get some type of decision :rolleyes

Slap on the wrist
For Pitino or the school? I agree on the 5 game suspension being lenient but the punishment for Louisville, especially if they revoke their National Championship is a fairly heavy cost.

Scholarship reduction and forfeiting shared ACC revenue over 3 years is no joke.
For Pitino I meant. If you're revoking a title, you're only going to suspend the guy who "lacked oversight" for 5 games?

Banner comin down breh.

It seems kind of harsh,but it's all relative.They could have been facing serious prison time but a grand jury declined to indict anyone.

“I don’t believe the committee on infractions has ever encountered a case like this,” committee chief hearing officer Carol Cartwright told the media on a teleconference. She reinforced that position by explaining the violations “centered around a former director of men’s basketball operations arranging for striptease dances and sex acts for prospects, student-athletes and others.”

“The operations director arranged adult entertainment and/or sex acts for 15 prospects, three enrolled student athletes, a friend visiting with one of the prospects and two non-scholastic coaches.”

Louisville interim president Greg Postel issued a statement Thursday saying he believes the penalties levied by the NCAA "went beyond what we consider to be fair and reasonable."

Added Rick Pitino: "For 35-some-odd years I've had a lot of faith in the NCAA and have reacted that way accordingly as a head basketball coach in the belief of their rules," Pitino said Thursday during the school's news conference. "Not only is it unjust ... over-the-top severe, but personally I've lost a lot of faith in the NCAA that I've had over the last 35 years with what they just did.

"I'm gonna put all my faith in the appeals committee that they will do the right thing. ... We believe we will win the appeal because it is right, it is just. What went on [the NCAA's ruling] was unjust, inconceivable."

"I plan on winning multiple championships, not just one. I plan on going to multiple Final Fours, not just one," Pitino said. "That's what leaders do: They lead the players they are coaching, they ask for forgiveness for what happened.

"I know the committee was sickened by it, but so were we. But we did not deserve what they gave us, and that's the bottom line. They made a very large mistake and our faith has to be put in the hands of the committee, going forward, of appeals. Because we are just as disappointed as went on as the committee was. But we did not deserve any of this at all. We will fight every single bit to the end and we will move forward because that's what leaders do."

A source familiar with the testimony of three of the former Louisville recruits to NCAA investigators told ESPN's John Barr that he can't believe Pitino's penalties aren't worse.

"Five games? If I could do these things and get a five-game suspension, why not cheat?" the source told ESPN. "We have a head coach and a program that skated. If academic fraud is bad, how do prostitution and higher education mix? This was as bad or worse than any academic fraud."

Larry Wilder, the attorney for Katina Powell, told ESPN on Thursday "I cannot help but wonder if the lack of contrition demonstrated by the university's athletics staff contributed to the severity of these penalties. It seems that an immediate acceptance of responsibility by the head coach of the program may have softened the blow and possibly sent a signal to the NCAA that there was a true acceptance of responsibility."

U19 Team USA,

I'm very interested to see Bol Bol play.

I wish Zion would have played, would have liked to see him play real basketball.

I would have given canada a chance to put up a fight if they had both Simi ****tu and RJ Barrett but we only got one this summer. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom