The College Basketball Post

I don't even know if Lee Cummard should be considered a swingman. He certainly didn't really play like your typical swingman against A&M in thetourney last year...(I only saw like 4 or 5 other games of his, and noticed the same thing...)

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Big East heads, what do you think of my fantasy team?

G-Deonta Vaughn
pimp.gif

G-Corey Chandler
G-Will Walker
F- Da'sean Butlet
F-Wes Matthews
F-Rashaed Bishop
C-Alex Rivas Sanchez
C-John Flowers.

Got stuck on centers.

Samuels, Monroe, and Hanke were all taken 3 picks in a row in front of me.
smh.gif

No Louisville players = no win for you. j/k, that looks like a pretty solid team.

6-9 >>>>>> 1-5.
And James? I won't even get into that. Hell, in conference, Sapp, Reynolds, Curry, Harvey and Vaughn are better. Not as talented, but better.
Please don't include Flynn in your argument
laugh.gif
. And doNOT hate on Pargo. It amazes me that if Pargo were playing at UNC or Duke he'd be featured on the front page of every magazine this preseason - dude isthat nasty. He doesn't even get to play to his true potential out in the zags system because they face so much damn zone defense and have so many bigshe's gotta defer to until crunch time. I know you know this.
pimp.gif

once lute #@+%+% him over udub came in the picture so he could just stay close to home and play sucks I wanted him at ucla they going after the other 2 zonarecruits tho we need monser(sp) since he can play sg

Doing big things in the scrimmage lets go Cardinals: I was not expecting 21 from Swopshire. Even though it was just a scrimmage I like what I read about howSamuels was playing in the post.

RED TEAM 97
Samardo Samuels - 36 points, 16 rebounds, 10-12 free throws, 13 of 22 from the field
Jared Swopshire - 21 points, 7 rebounds, 3-3 three-pointers, 5 assists, 3 turnovers
Preston Knowles - 9 points, 8 rebounds, 1-4 three-pointers, 8 assists, 3 turnovers
Reginald Delk - 11 points, 9 rebounds, 1-2 three-pointers, 2 assists, 0 turnovers
Andre McGee - 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1-5 three-pointers, 6 assists, 3 turnovers
Chris Brickley - 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 turnovers
George Goode - 5 points, 7 rebounds, 1-5 from the field, three steals, played for both teams
Lee Steiden - 3 points, 1-2 from the field

WHITE TEAM 80
Earl Clark - 30 points, 14 rebounds, 2-5 three-pointers, 4 assists, 5 turnovers, 4-9 free throws
Terrence Jennings - 18 points, 5 rebounds, 2-5 free throws, 0 assists, 4 steals
Edgar Sosa - 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2-9 three-pointers, 7 assists, 2 turnovers
Kyle Kuric - 7 points, 5 rebounds, 1-4 three-pointers, 1 assists, 1 turnovers
Jerry Smith - 6 points, 3 rebounds, 0-10 three-pointers, 3 assists, 1 turnovers
Will Scott - 5 points, 1 rebounds, 1-1 three-pointers, 2 assists, 0 turnovers

Craftsy--as a G'Town fan....Flynn is absolutely the real deal. He was gassed last year going 40 a game...but that kid is gona be a load to handle. Itdoesn't help playing with a bunch of idiots.

I like Pargo but I would take Rice, Flynn, Curry, and maybe Downey over him.

New Offer for Barnes Premium Story

By Evan Daniels
Special to IC
Posted Oct 29, 2008

Harrison Barnes has received attention from nearly every top program in the country. On Tuesday, he picked up another offer.

According to sources close to the situation, Roy Williams and his staff, who watched Barnes repeatedly on the AAU circuit and multiple times in open gyms, havenow offered the top ranked wing in the class of 2010.

To go with an offer from UNC, Barnes also holds offers from Duke, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Minnesota, Oklahoma,Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and USC.

Barnes has already taken a handful of unofficial visits. Most recently, he traveled to Duke this past weekend, went to Kansas for 'Late Night in thePhog' and attended Florida's elite camp at the end of the summer.

The 6-foot-6 prospect out of Ames (Iowa) High used a terrific summer to raise his stock and catapult himself in the rankings. He's an explosive athlete,that can get to the rim, but also is the owner of a good-looking jumper shot with range to 23-feet.

Barnes is ranked the No. 3 overall prospect in the class of 2010 by Scout.com.

Harrison Barnes Profile

Colonial Preseason Poll

1. VCU
2. Northeastern
3. Old Dominion
4. George Mason
5. Delaware
6. Georgia State
7. Hofstra
8. William & Mary
9. James Madison
10. Towson
11. UNC Wilmington
12. Drexel Preseason All-Conference Team
Eric Maynor, 6-3, PG, Sr., VCU (Preseason Player of the Year)
Marc Egerson, 6-6, G, Sr., Delaware
pimp.gif

Matt Janning, 6-4, SG-SF, Jr., Northeastern
Gerald Lee, 6-10, PF/C, Jr., Old Dominion
Leonard Mendez, 6-5, G, Sr., Georgia State

America East

1. Boston University 59 (5)
2. Vermont 55 (4)
3. Hartford 51
4. UMBC 45
5. Binghamton 37
6. Albany 30
7. New Hampshire 24
8. Maine 13
9. Stony Brook 10

Preseason All-Conference Team
Marqus Blakely, Vermont
Corey Lowe, Boston University
Jay Greene, UMBC
Mike Trimboli, Vermont
Joe Zeglinski, Hartford

Lol who was that gassing Eric Maynor up on here last year? Saying he was better than Ty Lawson.

Four-star prospect Solomon Hill is in the process of figuring out hisrecruitment after decommitting from Arizona in the wake of Lute Olson's retirement. The skilled wing prospect is primarily looking at three schools with afourth school set to make a pitch today for him at Los Angeles Fairfax High School.

[table][tr][td]
SOLOMONHILL6_2200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hill is an intriguing prospect.[/td] [/tr][/table]"USC, Georgetown and Kentucky are the schools I'm looking at," said the 6-foot-6, 210-pound Hill. "You could saythat I'm down to those three."

Kansas State is also working to get into the mix with Coach Frank Martin scheduled to visit with Hill today.

This past weekend Hill spent a lot of time on the USC campus. With Hill's desire to sign early, the proximity of USC gives the Trojans a decided advantageat this point in his recruitment.

"The visit to USC went pretty well," said Hill. "Coach Floyd talked a lot about what position I'd play and how they would use me.

"I might be able to get one more visit in before the signing period. If I can make a trip, it will be to Georgetown. I'm more interested in them thanKentucky because of the type of system they run. It's a good program, and I couldn't go wrong going there. I would get to play everywhere on the courtand have a chance to do a lot of different things on the court."

It is Hill's versatility that makes him such an attractive prospect. He is extremely adept at putting the ball on the floor and creating scoringopportunities for teammates with his feel for passing the ball. He also rebounds his position at a high level. According to Fairfax coach Harvey Kitani, Hillis also developing as a scorer.

"His body is really developing, and when he takes it to the rack, he just keeps going and going," said Kitani. "Now he is really adjusting hisshot in the air and getting the ball in the basket. When he played this summer for us with Renardo (Sidney) out, he really scored the ball. On college coachhas told Solomon that he won't be there four years. That is how much Solomon is improving."

Hill is the No. 28 ranked prospect in the Rivals150.

That's a two team race regardless of what he says.

Man, some people on here been hyping Maynor on here since he beat Duke in that game.

He hasn't don $%$$ since ... OVERRATED

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Craftsy--as a G'Town fan....Flynn is absolutely the real deal. He was gassed last year going 40 a game...but that kid is gona be a load to handle. It doesn't help playing with a bunch of idiots.
I just rag on all Syracuse guys - i do think he's pretty good, although not top 5 in the country good.

I'd take Rice and consider Curry (who i wanna see run the show this year, thinking his game looks a lot different on the ball than off), withDowney and Flynn a notch below these 3. But yeah, i put Rice my #1 i suppose. Probably have pargo top 3 on my list.

Also - how do you like Nick Calathes and Kalin Lucas -- are they looking at pure PG minutes this year and if so, they've gotta be in consideration imo.

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Doing big things in the scrimmage lets go Cardinals: I was not expecting 21 from Swopshire. Even though it was just a scrimmage I like what I read about how Samuels was playing in the post.

RED TEAM 97
Samardo Samuels - 36 points, 16 rebounds, 10-12 free throws, 13 of 22 from the field
Jared Swopshire - 21 points, 7 rebounds, 3-3 three-pointers, 5 assists, 3 turnovers
Preston Knowles - 9 points, 8 rebounds, 1-4 three-pointers, 8 assists, 3 turnovers
Reginald Delk - 11 points, 9 rebounds, 1-2 three-pointers, 2 assists, 0 turnovers
Andre McGee - 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1-5 three-pointers, 6 assists, 3 turnovers
Chris Brickley - 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 turnovers
George Goode - 5 points, 7 rebounds, 1-5 from the field, three steals, played for both teams
Lee Steiden - 3 points, 1-2 from the field

WHITE TEAM 80
Earl Clark - 30 points, 14 rebounds, 2-5 three-pointers, 4 assists, 5 turnovers, 4-9 free throws
Terrence Jennings - 18 points, 5 rebounds, 2-5 free throws, 0 assists, 4 steals
Edgar Sosa - 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2-9 three-pointers, 7 assists, 2 turnovers
Kyle Kuric - 7 points, 5 rebounds, 1-4 three-pointers, 1 assists, 1 turnovers
Jerry Smith - 6 points, 3 rebounds, 0-10 three-pointers, 3 assists, 1 turnovers
Will Scott - 5 points, 1 rebounds, 1-1 three-pointers, 2 assists, 0 turnovers

If the White team would have had T-Will it would have probably turned out a little different. But, I really liked what I seen out of the new guys, Samuels,Jennings, and Swoopshire (not to mention Delk). It's going to be a totally different team this year without Padgett as the big man, but I really like whatI saw. We'll probably be a lot more uptempo.

But, I also remember when Mac Wilkinson (Felton Spencer's little brother) had like 38 points in either the season opener or an exibition and UofL fans knowhow that turned out
roll.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Devan Downey is the goods. Depending on who else I had on my team, I'd be tempted to take him at the PG spot for his defense alone.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Ehhhhh Craft as much as I love Jeremy, he's from the crib, I just can't go G
smh.gif
Why though? Dude is money on the break, he's a great assist man, and he's a lockdown defender. I think he's got great PG instinctsand talent.

Devan Downey is the goods. Depending on who else I had on my team, I'd be tempted to take him at the PG spot for his defense alone.
He dropped like 30 on PSU last year without even trying... he's not all defense.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

He dropped like 30 on PSU last year without even trying... he's not all defense.
laugh.gif

Oh, I know. That makes it even better
laugh.gif
Give me ahard-nosed defender that averages 3 steals a game, while putting up 20 points and dishing 5 assists a game and I'm good...

Here's more from Coach Wright, as well as Georgetown coach John Thompson III and Louisville coach RickPitino….

ON BEING PICKED 5th in the 16-TEAM LEAGUE

"I actually think it was a little bit of a gift. I thought we might've been around seven or eight, and I would've been fine with that. Ithought it would've been fair. The depth of experienced palyers in this league is what really makes it great this year. There's a lot of teams thatfinished above us that are returning experienced players."

ON HOW MANY TEAMS COULD MAKE A RUN IN THE NCAAS

"There could be four or five teams here that if they made a run to the Final Four or if they won a national championship, I don't think anybodywould be shocked. I think that speaks to the quality of the top of this league.

"The teams that have been at the bottom have gotten better, too. It's just that everybody at the top's gotten better. They can sneak into thetournament and do damage."

ON SCOTTIE REYNOLDS

"Scottie is healthy and I think it's one of the responsiblities of our coaching staff to keep him fresh and healthy this year. He kills himself inpractice and Dante Cunningham does the same thing. It's my job to do the same thing."

ON COREY FISHER AND COREY STOKES

"We'll always recruit New Jersey because that's where the bulk of our alumni are from. The history of Villanova basketball, there's so manygreat players from New York and New Jersey.

"Corey Stokes and Corey Fisher are the guys that really have a chance to make us a better team. They're the guysthat have made drastic improvements from last year and they're both talented kids and very, very well coached coming from their high school programs.We've got experienced guys up front, those two could make the difference for us this year."

HERE ARE SOME QUOTES FROM GEORGETOWN COACH JOHN THOMPSON III

ON PRESEASON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR GREG MONROE

"So far Greg Monroe is an extremely bright young man. He's someone that picks up and understands what we're asking of him. The biggestsimilarity between Greg and Roy [Hibbert] is his willingness, his willingness to be coached, to be taught, his willingness to learn. Coupledwith the fact that he's bright and he picks up and learns quickly. Is he the next line? We hope so, but time will tell."

ON DAJUAN SUMMERS, A FIRST-TEAM ALL-BIG EAST SELECTION

"I think a lot of people went through last year expecting DaJuan to be placed into Jeff Green's peg, into his hole, andthey're very different. I think DaJuan has settled into a comfort level with himself, with what I expect of him. I think he's poised and he'sworked extremely hard and he's put himself in a position to have a good year. And we're going to need him to."

LOUISVILLE COACH RICK PITINO ON HOW DEEP THE LEAGUE IS

"There are four teams like West Virginia, Cincinnati, Syracuse and Providence, with a team of great depth, great talent and they're not evenranked."

ON WHEN TERRENCE WILLIAMS WILL RETURN FROM A KNEE INJURY

"Probably in about three weeks. Terrence I think faked the surgery because he's like an NBA veteran that just doesn't want to play theexhibition schedule."

ON FRESHMEN SAMARDO SAMUELS AND TERRENCE JENNINGS

"They're both physically ready to play, but mentally they're not there yet defensively or offensively, but that's to be expected. Anytimeyou go from high school to college, there's an adjustment to make."

ON SAMARDO'S UPSIDE

Playing for Danny [Hurley], he's fundamentally sound. So he has strong fundamentals coming in. He also has a very strong physicalpresence. He has 8.5 percent body fat but he's 255. Long wingspan, so he's got all the physical attributes to be avery good player, but he just has toget a little quicker, has to run the floor a little better.

"The thing I want to see him most from him, how well does he rebound? That's the thing I want to see?"

ARE WE GOING TO SEE THE WHITE LINEN SUIT AGAIN?

"Without question, that's the only time I could wear it."

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

laugh.gif
Oh, I know. That makes it even better
laugh.gif
Give me a hard-nosed defender that averages 3 steals a game, while putting up 20 points and dishing 5 assists a game and I'm good...

He is the goods. He was killing it at Cinci when he was a freshman.

Too bad he transferred. They backcourt of Vaughn and him
pimp.gif

Flynn is top 5. Pargo is top 5. I am not trying to be a homer. But I would take Flynn over a lot of guys. The media overrates Dominic James in everything. Heisn't a top 3 point guard in the big east.

Calathis and Lucas are great point guards.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom