The College Basketball Post

Simple question but how did our governor just pass a law that it’s mandatory to wear a mask while playing ball but somehow duke and Carolina are excused from this rule?

Jay Bilas made an interesting point last night when he said college players are being treated like essential workers but without pay and forced to travel during a time where our governments and political heads are pushing restricted travel.

On top of that, the NCAA doesn’t have an actual plan in place as it relates to Covid and each conference operates individually. This is an absolute cluster ****. Think about the amount of games that are being cancelled on the daily with things only getting worse as we enter winter.

Can’t see many conferences making it through February without having to pull the plug nor a tourney happening this season.

We need to stop pushing the narrative that college athletes aren't getting paid. They are getting a free education (that is up to them whether they want to use it or not or how it is being used), a 'cost of attendance' stipend, free housing, year round apparel, travel and meals. That's not to mention all of the other 'under the table' benefits that athletes get especially in towns and cities where college sports are king.

Now if you wanted to make the argument that in the grand scheme of things they are getting screwed (which they are) ABSOLUTELY you would get no push back from me.

Perhaps I am sensitive in nature to this topic because I am in higher education fundraising and work with kids daily who are taking out loans or working two jobs while being in school to get a degree but this notion that P5 athletes aren't getting a 'cut' of the action just isn't true. The argument should be that they deserve MORE of the cut.

I'm going to leave the playing in the pandemic alone because you are right it is mostly a '*** show' and that starts and ends with the NCAA not taking a firm stance on policies and procedures that govern for ALL bodies of collegiate athletics.

At this point you don't even know what's going on with the mid major teams schedule. I just realized UNCG has to play 3 games in 5 days and they switched the opponents up.

This **** is a mess :lol:

There’s no easy answer. Shut it all down and they’re just going to be playing in an open gym setting. Think back to the summer, plenty of videos of dudes still hooping in groups, and then all the testing and controls are gone too.

We need to stop pushing the narrative that college athletes aren't getting paid. They are getting a free education (that is up to them whether they want to use it or not or how it is being used), a 'cost of attendance' stipend, free housing, year round apparel, travel and meals. That's not to mention all of the other 'under the table' benefits that athletes get especially in towns and cities where college sports are king.

Now if you wanted to make the argument that in the grand scheme of things they are getting screwed (which they are) ABSOLUTELY you would get no push back from me.

Perhaps I am sensitive in nature to this topic because I am in higher education fundraising and work with kids daily who are taking out loans or working two jobs while being in school to get a degree but this notion that P5 athletes aren't getting a 'cut' of the action just isn't true. The argument should be that they deserve MORE of the cut.

I'm going to leave the playing in the pandemic alone because you are right it is mostly a '*** show' and that starts and ends with the NCAA not taking a firm stance on policies and procedures that govern for ALL bodies of collegiate athletics.
Pay the players, cut the pandemic hazard check

Simple question but how did our governor just pass a law that it’s mandatory to wear a mask while playing ball but somehow duke and Carolina are excused from this rule?

Still a bit confusing to think about the purpose and effectiveness of masks while playing team sports. The ball makes contact with each player at some point, players inadvertently and intentionally make physical contact with their person and each other. Seems like it’s just about the optics now.

Still a bit confusing to think about the purpose and effectiveness of masks while playing team sports. The ball makes contact with each player at some point, players inadvertently and intentionally make physical contact with their person and each other. Seems like it’s just about the optics now.
Yea stuff like that is all optics cuz they scared to just cancel

1607639648564.gif

Charleston Southern canceled due to an outbreak, leaving only Gardner Webb so that’s the only one canceled.

Allows the kids to go home after the notre dame game on the 16th and let’s them return on the 23rd. The kids weren’t gonna be able to go home for the holidays if this didn’t happen.

the players have been staying at the Washington Inn and are only allowed to leave for class, practice, and rehab. So they’ve had their own “bubble” of sorts. Glad the kids will get to see their families and hopefully help with any mental issues some may be dealing with in these times

Charleston Southern canceled due to an outbreak, leaving only Gardner Webb so that’s the only one canceled.

Allows the kids to go home after the notre dame game on the 16th and let’s them return on the 23rd. The kids weren’t gonna be able to go home for the holidays if this didn’t happen.

the players have been staying at the Washington Inn and are only allowed to leave for class, practice, and rehab. So they’ve had their own “bubble” of sorts. Glad the kids will get to see their families and hopefully help with any mental issues some may be dealing with in these times
Could not imagine being cooped up in the WaDuke, or any hotel for that matter, especially during the holidays.

And I know these dudes gotta be extra tight not being able to freely run thru random P on campus :lol:

Back
Top Bottom