The College Basketball Post

Access to 5 million in NIL annually gives Cal one of the largest NIL packages in the country. Only a handful have access to even 3 million/year.

Writing was on the wall and if he was intrigued by the Ohio State opening back in February he was plotting to leave beyond the last month.

UK goes for Hurley/Oats imo first. About to get messy

Kentucky goes for the hottest coach in the country right now. A proven WINNER:

1712575232089.jpeg

IMG_3942.gif

Is Hurley leaving that realistic? Seems like he’s at a very ideal situation at UConn, salary aside
No shot he leaves what he's got at UConn hut might as well swing for the fences if you're UK.

Think Bama's gonna fight hard not to get poached for Oats but if UK is willing to pay that buyout, we'll see.

How y’all don’t think that man underachieved is beyond me. Won one title in all those years, endless NBA talent, money, “greatest recruiting class ever” so many years

One title

Let’s not even get into all the early exits in the tournament. Or the fact that the SEC fairly weak during a lot of his tenure

Dude is the college basketball version of Doc Rivers

How y’all don’t think that man underachieved is beyond me. Won one title in all those years, endless NBA talent, money, “greatest recruiting class ever” so many years

One title

Let’s not even get into all the early exits in the tournament. Or the fact that the SEC fairly weak during a lot of his tenure

Dude is the college basketball version of Doc Rivers

Doc rivers is insanely harsh lmao. A doc rivers equivalent would’ve never made final fours with Memphis and Umass

Every program goes through rough stretches. The ideal of Final Four/Championship or bust every season is unrealistic.

It’s easy to criticize and I understand that hindsight is 50/50 but both Duke and Kentucky who were the main trailblazers for the OaD era, only have one title each to show for it.

Lost to UCONN in the championship game in 2014, lost to a very good Wisconsin team in the Elite 8 in 2015, lost at the buzzer to eventual champion UNC in 2017.

The last few years have been inexcusable, but that 2014-2017 run was really good.

Half his tenure at Kentucky was really good and the other half was really disappointing given the talent.

Theres no way you felt super comfortable with his actual in-game coaching in close games. Just had to hope the talent he paid could figure it out.

I agree, Calipari underachieved at UK. Still, 4 final fours and a national title I can't say it was a full choke job but yea there is a gray area especially when Kentucky probably isn't losing that much sleep with him leaving them.

NCAA Tournament is more of a crapshoot than most people (including me) want to think. Cal should have more banners up with that talent. But we also know this sport isn't the 90's any longer and we also know things like the Big Ten CONFERENCE does not have an NCAA title in 24 years. As someone here mentioned Izzo has one title in 29 years. Boeheim went to 35 tournaments, he has one title.

The recent Kentucky flameouts have been entertaining though. I think this is just an "all sides are better off" parting of the ways.

I agree, Calipari underachieved at UK. Still, 4 final fours and a national title I can't say it was a full choke job but yea there is a gray area especially when Kentucky probably isn't losing that much sleep with him leaving them.

NCAA Tournament is more of a crapshoot than most people (including me) want to think. Cal should have more banners up with that talent. But we also know this sport isn't the 90's any longer and we also know things like the Big Ten CONFERENCE does not have an NCAA title in 24 years. As someone here mentioned Izzo has one title in 29 years. Boeheim went to 35 tournaments, he has one title.

The recent Kentucky flameouts have been entertaining though. I think this is just an "all sides are better off" parting of the ways.
Agree that judging coaches off chips is pretty foolish. It's a tough thing to do and usually requires a little luck or good fortune. But 5 years of not getting out of the 1st round when you have one of the most talented teams? That's underachieving.

I think if I was the Kentucky AD:

1. Nate Oats
2. Billy Donovan
3. Scott Drew
4. Sean Miller

The final fours shouldn’t be the issue with them at all. It’s really difficult to get there.

Not getting to the Sweet 16 since 2019 with the budget they have should definitely be the larger issue.

Seeing tweets from Kentucky fans saying that Cal’s 4 final fours in 15 seasons “isn’t enough” for a program like Kentucky

Since 2010 UConn and Kentucky are both tied with 4 final 4 appearances each. While UNC, Duke, Kansas and Nova are tied for 2nd with 3 in that same time frame

Delusion
Most delusional fanbase in cbb, they feel like titles are their god given right even though they've won 3 in the last 45 years :lol:

Back
Top Bottom