The College Basketball Post

anyone got a stream preferably quicktime for the zaga oklahoma game, its on espn2 right now (630)

Rep the Big East.
pimp.gif

L.Fields who hates on him again?
laugh.gif

LEVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno how i feel even given you his avy cake, !!! my son did work tonight!!!!! an blair isnt hot??? 15 points 20 rebounds!!!!????(0_0)

Maaaaaaaan... I missed the whole 2nd half of the game takin my cousin to the greyhound on some last minute *+#* and dealing with some family bull *+#*... thenI come back to see this *+#* on SC... WASN'T A GOOD NIGHT I'LL JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT
smh.gif

AND THEN OUT OF ALL PEOPLE... HIM? YEA GOD WAS #!$*%@+ WITH CAKE LAST NIGHT
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

frown.gif

Dude....As soon as I saw that shot leave Levance's hand, I knew it was going in....

Its all your fault Cake.....

It was a good game between two good teams....This will be good experience for out freshman....

As im watching the highlights on ESPN...i realized that Scheyer took that running 3 point shot WAYYYY to early.. he still had enough time to atleast get insidethe 3 line

Originally Posted by dreClark

frown.gif

Dude....As soon as I saw that shot leave Levance's hand, I knew it was going in....

Its all your fault Cake.....

It was a good game between two good teams....This will be good experience for out freshman....
frown.gif
smh.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif

Maaaaaan Rell... this situation bout uglier than that thang boi
laugh.gif
smh.gif

And I think we said til conference play, iono either way I'm like WHAT THE !*$!??? HURRY THE HELL UP... and its only been 1 day
smh.gif

The Best Day of the Season (So Far)
Four Top-10 Teams Collide

by John Gasaway
Printer-
friendly
Contact
Author

Saturday promises to bring us the two best games of the college basketball season to this point. We should learn almost as much about the nation's eliteteams in a few hours as we've learned so far in the entire season.

Georgetown vs. Memphis

Memphis has been seeing a lot of everything besides man-to-man from opposing defenses so far this year. USC famously played a triangle-and-two and took theTigers to overtime before falling 62-58. In their most recent game, Memphis saw the latest in a series of zones, this time from Cincinnati in a game the Tigerswon by ten points. The only quality opponent so far this year that's dared to play man defense has been Connecticut. Bravo, Jim Calhoun. You gave us theopportunity to see the dribble-drive-motion offense in action.

Joey Dorsey is really fun to watch when Memphis gets to run their offense. His role on offense is different than that of just about any other player you'llsee. In the game against UConn, Dorsey made no pretense at all of calling for the ball, posting up or getting what would ordinarily be termed "good postposition" for a five on offense. Instead, Dorsey positions himself between his defender and the basket, usually on the opposite side of the court from theball. In effect, he boxes out on offense, as Memphis spreads the floor and either Chris Douglas-Roberts or Derrick Rose drives into the paint. Dorsey'ssole function is to gather in the misses. Last year he posted the second-highest offensive rebound percentage in the nation. This year, however, Dorsey'soffensive rebounds are down and the Memphis offense as a whole has been merely good.

It's a good thing that the Memphis defense has been outstanding. The Tigers are creating turnovers, forcing misses, and grabbing boards. Now they'reabout to get a severe test. Georgetown is making 60 percent of their twos. That's a team we're talking about, mind you, not a player. Yes, it'searly. Still, that level of effectiveness inside the arc is unreal. Given that no major-conference team posted a higher two-point FG percentage in-conferencelast year, it would appear John Thompson III has something systemic going on here.

He sure does--it's called Roy Hibbert. The relative lack of attention given to this first-team All-American continues to confuse me. When he has the ball,he doesn't turn it over. When he shoots, the ball goes in. When his teammates miss, he gets the rebound. When the opposing team shoots a two, he'slikely to block it. That's a pretty good profile.

The Hoyas pose a challenge to opposing defenses because they're so balanced. Efficient scorers are everywhere on the floor and the only player in theregular rotation who won't shoot is Patrick Ewing. Jessie Sapp, in particular, has been on fire (when he doesn't turn the ball over). Still, multipleHoyas can hurt you: Hibbert, Sapp, Jonathan Wallace, DaJuan Summers or Austin Freeman, to name a few. This should be a great collision between a machine-likeGeorgetown offense and a punitively effective Memphis defense.

One last thing: this game will involve two of the worst free-throw shooting teams in college basketball. If it's close late, fans of both teams should benervous.

Texas vs. Michigan State

Texas has been doing things this year that give new meaning to the term "offense." No opponent this year has held them to less than a point perpossession. Not UCLA, arguably the best defensive team in the nation. Not even Oral Roberts, which held the Longhorns to a mere 66 points in what everyoneagreed was an ugly 10-point Texas win.

The secret to the Longhorns' success this year is simple: no team in the nation has done a better job holding on to the ball. Texas ends 85 percent oftheir possessions with a shot. That's a tribute to A.J. Abrams and Damion James in particular, two players who take on a lot of possessions and never turnthe ball over. (D.J. Augustin, conversely, is merely normal where turnovers are concerned, while being otherworldly in all other departments on offense.) Noone ever watches a possession, of course, and thinks what a great job a team did not turning the ball over. The cumulative effect, however, of all thoseturnover-less possessions is undeniable: Texas has the best offense in the nation right now.

Michigan State isn't too shabby where offense is concerned, either, but they go about things in an entirely different way. The Spartans turn the ball over.They did last year, they do this year, they probably will next year. Marquise Gray, Travis Walton and Drew Naymick in particular are walking turnovers. Squintat them and they'll give you the ball.

Then again, Tom Izzo's team shoots pretty well and attacks the offensive glass like crazed beasts. Goran Suton has never exactly been lionized in EastLansing, but say this for the big lug: when he's on the floor he's getting to 18 percent of his team's misses so far this year, making him one ofthe best offensive rebounders in the nation. More to the point, Suton's team is the best offensive rebounding team in the nation, hauling in 48 percent oftheir own misses. That could be a key factor Saturday, because Texas is merely average on the defensive glass. In other words, MSU will almost certainly coughup more turnovers but they'll get more offensive rebounds.

The shots in the Michigan State offense come from Drew Neitzel and Raymar Morgan, period. Neitzel should be appreciated for what he is: an outstanding collegeplayer. He will never replicate what he's doing now "at the next level." So what? Let's appreciate what we see now: Neitzel is a true comboguard, one who sees the defense and can exploit it with either a make or an assist. Moreover, Neitzel is the one Texas-like player in Spartan green: he neverturns the ball over. Ever. Morgan, conversely, coughs up an occasional turnover, but so far this year he's shot better from the floor than even Neitzel,making a Hibbert-like 63 percent of his twos. One way or another, there will be points scored on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom