The Combat Jack Show Thread

Everyone has a level of regional bias, especially if you came up in a time when music wasn’t as homogenized as it is today.

I really think Ice just likes to start the NY bias discussion to highlight himself as some eclectic rap listener. He tried to frame it as NY bias preventing someone from creating a list of great albums from regions outside of NY. Id personally be insulted if someone implied that my bias for my community prevents me from appreciating and respecting art from another time zone.

But like I said, he just does that so he can tell about how he copped Mia X’s debut. He trying to defend his younger self still.

Ice is first generation internet.

Most of us had environment as an influence, Ice didn't have that because of his mom.

I see how Ice is the way he is, because he was on message boards and AIM. That's why I say Ice is like an older version of Ak. Both of them are the same. Ice didn't get Redman, Naughty and Fugees influence that he should have being in Newark. Ice was the older brother.

Ice was fitting in with what was popular with the people he interacted with, online.

That's why I say I can tell when people got into rap music, because as a kid a lot of what you liked wasn't just you and your taste. Eminem was everywhere, so if you were 10, 13, you weren't going to avoid that. All these 10 year old girls dressed up going to see Taylor Swift, they don't understand her music, she's just popular as hell and everybody else likes her.

I remember being on message boards and seeing the No Limit, G-Unit, Dip Set adulation and fanboys and thought it was weird as ****. I understood liking the music, but the way people were stans for them was weird to me. It started becoming more than I just like their music Noticeably Ice was a fan of all of them.

He thinks he's playing contrarian, but he was really just a fan of whatever was the most popular at the moment.

Last edited:
Ice seem to think cuz he was inside the house he was exposed to more music :lol:

That's what's insulting about it.

When he said I was watching videos :rofl: Like dudes grew up in the 70's and only had Soul Train. :lol:

Bro, you aren't being a contrarian and impressing anyone, you're just hoping on the wave of the moment.

No Limit, G-Unit, Dip Set, Jeezy, Gucci...drill

This isn't some obscure music you had to search to find out about.

Ice is first generation internet.

Most of us had environment as an influence, Ice didn't have that because of his mom.

I see how Ice is the way he is, because he was on message boards and AIM. That's why I say Ice is like an older version of Ak. Both of them are the same. Ice didn't get Redman, Naughty and Fugees influence that he should have being in Newark. Ice was the older brother.

Ice was fitting in with what was popular with the people he interacted with, online.

That's why I say I can tell when people got into rap music, because as a kid a lot of what you liked wasn't just you and your taste. Eminem was everywhere, so if you were 10, 13, you weren't going to avoid that. All these 10 year old girls dressed up going to see Taylor Swift, they don't understand her music, she's just popular as hell and everybody else likes her.

I remember being on message boards and seeing the No Limit, G-Unit, Dip Set adulation and fanboys and thought it was weird as ****. I understood liking the music, but the way people were stans for them was weird to me. It started becoming more than I just like their music Noticeably Ice was a fan of all of them.

He thinks he's playing contrarian, but he was really just a fan of whatever was the most popular at the moment.

He was on message boards in the late 90's?

Ice and this rap album conversation :rofl:

Got Freeze heated. I don't like yelling :lol:

He might regret revealing he graduated high school in 2001. He tried to get them with name some other albums.

Video shows had been on since the late 80's(Ralph, Yo, Rap City). Ice was like well I grew up on video shows. :rofl: Nah mutha****a we did too, we just watched those video shows and went outside and hung in the neighborhood. That's the key part I know he's missing. Our peers also played a part in what we were listening too. I was introduced to Pac. Scarface. Because someone from the crew could buy it and share. He had nobody to play Da Infamous. He didn't walk down the block and hear Shook Ones rattling from someones car. What's that?

I have no issue with him liking Cash Money or No Limit, because they had their run and you couldn't avoid it. But the issue he doesn't seem to get is the gap that's missing to what he's heard. We watched Boyz, Menace along with New Jack and Juice. So why wouldn't we listen to MC Eiht or DJ Quik? It's just like how Melissa is missing a lot of **** growing up with a white mother in Canada.

And people don't seem to notice that the location **** wasn't as prominent as people not from the north make it seem. That's rappers beef with the radio, that isn't the people. When you're a kid you aren't paying attention to that. The Lox and Wu would have never gotten a run, State Island, Yonkers? All the rappers from Long Island? You might as well have been from Compton. I still don't know where Kwame is from. A lot of rappers didn't identify with anywhere. I remember thinking Cypress Hill were from Philly.

Is this from the recent pod? What’s the main topic of it so I can find it.

Is this from the recent pod? What’s the main topic of it so I can find it.
IMG_5777.jpeg

Joe telling Ice, I’d change your list got me dying.

I’ve never felt Doggystyle like that, I prefer Chronic.

Ice mentioning Rick Ross is NUTS.

Joe saying I didn’t know where Wu Tang was from and where Staten Island was had me screaming.

This type of discussion is why I started watching the podcast when it first started. I like hearing Joe and even Parks talk about this.

Joe was also right, a lot of that music we didn’t know where they were from.

One thing Ice got right was that Lauryn Hill album is OUTTA HERE. That **** is overrated as ****.

Ice Preseasons hard too.

That's my thing. He's only a couple of years younger than Joe. They would be in high school together. He talks like he's from a different generation.

Ice clearly wants to appear young. There’s a lot of late 30s, and 40 year olds who act this way. Men and women alike. They act like the 90s and 2000s didn’t exist.

They Lowkey wish the IG/Twitter era was around during their youth. Really follow the crowd type people

Going around Champ stole a credit card from Bimmy

It stood out to me when he used to say I'm a thief. To get you to let your guard down as not being a threat. As if that's a more acceptable criminal. That's worse, because you have no morals.

Doing it from someone known with a history too :smh:

Miseducation is not an overrated album. People just be saying anything. That album is perfect

Issue is more so it's not really rap, but always gets listed with rap.

If Beyonce or Rihanna rapped on one or two songs, nobody would say they had a rap album.

Back then I don't remember people having this debate about whether Miseducation was hip hop or not. It was a great all-around album.

Then it seem like people on the Internet started with this "it's not hip hop it's overrated!" :lol:

Lost Ones is hip hop, Final Hour, etc. It's a Soul/Hip Hop album.

Back
Top Bottom