The Combat Jack Show Thread

Because you defend ******** rap. And then you get defensive that people hate southern rap. No we hate garbage buffonish rap and that's mainly where it's coming from.

Even dusty old southern rappers(Scarface) diss current southern hip hop

Hell, JD did it.

Southern rap started on Scarface, Outkast and Goodie and is what now? There's not anyone close to that and it's embarrassing.

Boosie is a southern legend....brought up by UGK
Future by the Dungeon Family

They all cosign the dudes that put out quality. I never defend "garbish bafoonish rap. There is good southern rap out here. Two of the highest selling and most popular rappers are from the south. And they're putting out quality. Don't let the clones (Desiigner, Uzi, Travis Scott, Yachty) etc confuse you. There is a ton of good rap out there if you know where to look for it.

Before this gets derailed...this is about combat, his choice of guests...and how he meshes with them.

NORE brought KRS on...and it was one of the better podcast.

Last edited:

They all cosign the dudes that put out quality. I never defend "garbish bafoonish rap. There is good southern rap out here. Two of the highest selling and most popular rappers are from the south. And they're putting out quality. Don't let the clones (Desiigner, Uzi, Travis Scott, Yachty) etc confuse you. There is a ton of good rap out there if you know where to look for it.

Before this gets derailed...this is about combat, his choice of guests...and how he meshes with them.

I agree, Combat lost when he dropped Pete honestly. Now it's some super focused journalistic snooze fest, when
it use to be more playful. IMO this is why Nore and Joe's podcast are killing everybody. All forms are needed though
in the long run.

I couldn't even get through the UK cast last week.

Last edited:

That's like saying 50 Cent brought out Yayo. That makes Yayo good?

Two of the highest selling and popular? Future? Because he did it first doesn't mean it's good.

Trying to pigeon hole one region as being responsible for that is ******ed.

Who is responsible for it then?

And who are New York/Jersey emulating?

I agree, Combat lost when he dropped Pete honestly. Now it's some super focused journalistic snooze fest, when
it use to be more playful. IMO this is why Nore and Joe's podcast are killing everybody. All forms are needed though
in the long run.

I couldn't even get through the UK cast last week.

This

I'm a master ace fan since The Symphony on up, but he's been interviewed before. I've heard a couple of his, and Combat's show no longer has any personality.

boys forget drake still the biggest artist and he has the most clones even tho his style is lifted as well

boys emulate money

whatever sells is what people will do

has nothing to do with regions

anyone catch the rap radar with jd ? i felt like it could've been better . would've liked to hear more questions about 1472 but it was still a good pod 

im glad jd spoke about the streets aint right record . heard knocking pictures off the wall in the 90s like um can they do this ? lol . as a kid i loved that kriss kross album and i still think its one of jd's best produced projects . ill get dragged for that but idc young , rich , and dangerous was good 

this lead to youngstar knocking pictures off the wall , various freestyles from slim thug , lil flip , paul wall , ect. to most notably drake nov 18th 

Last edited:
^they asked him at the end his top 5 records someone should have by him if they were to make a playlist and he named a couple of the usual suspects but then he spoke about how that record by kriss kross was never a single or a hit but somehow spawned a life of its own in houston but he doesn't think people realize he's the original producer of that beat and he's right cause i don't think people realize it either . when slowed down it does have a houston sound to it and i think damn near every texas rapper has used that beat at one point or another but I've never heard anyone give credit to where it originally came from 

Yall think rap podcasts have "jumped the shark?" Take Combat for instance, the namesake I started this thread on 3 years ago. The first rap podcast I was really into, when I was toiling away for a entertainment PR firm. As noted in the past couple pages, there have been skippable episode, he's displayed the IDGAF attitude, and I'm not even sure he can carry the show alone. Everybody is essentially interviewing the same guest, even if it's 2-3 years later, we've heard the same stories, know their rise to stardom, etc

I can count on one hand podcasts who are bringing a different edge to the rap podcast game (IMO)

The Cipher (super nerdy, "hip hop head" podcast, but it really gets into the nuts and bolts of the artist and their music. If you like Nardwuar you'll like Shawn Setaro)
A Waste of Time (You'll find guests from the other podcasts, but their light hearted approach along with their knowledge makes the show a great listen)
Drink Champs (It's universally praised in here, Nore is gonna get stories out of his guests no one else really can)

I still listen to Combat, hopped on the Rap Radar train, and listen to Juan Ep regularly but they don't pique my interest as much has the above 3 do

I'm definitely turning this into a blog post

thanks

people from Houston knew that's really been on it

dj screw used a few beats off that kriss kross album

just like knockin pictures off the wall is not just yungstar

guy named lil flex is on that song too and he did the verse that everybody sings and everybody thinks that's yung but it's not

Will check out JD's interview. Son is SEVERELY underrated. I don't think enough people know his work. He's produced and written so many classics.

1472 is a hard album.

I unsubbed combat after the first kevin gates ep

don't even think I made it to the second one with gates

Combat has a show on Backspin

I like satellite, but I normally listen to podcast in my car

anyone catch the rap radar with jd ? i felt like it could've been better . would've liked to hear more questions about 1472 but it was still a good pod 

im glad jd spoke about the streets aint right record . heard knocking pictures off the wall in the 90s like um can they do this ? lol . as a kid i loved that kriss kross album and i still think its one of jd's best produced projects . ill get dragged for that but idc young , rich , and dangerous was good 

That interview could have been longer. He was good on Juan Ep also. He has 25 years, so he needs at least two hours. When he's interviewed it's almost like he's offended that people don't reach out to him more considering what he's done.

^they asked him at the end his top 5 records someone should have by him if they were to make a playlist and he named a couple of the usual suspects but then he spoke about how that record by kriss kross was never a single or a hit but somehow spawned a life of its own in houston but he doesn't think people realize he's the original producer of that beat and he's right cause i don't think people realize it either . when slowed down it does have a houston sound to it and i think damn near every texas rapper has used that beat at one point or another but I've never heard anyone give credit to where it originally came from 

I meant to listen to that song. I couldn't find it on Tidal or Apple. I'll check for it on youtube.

Kriss Kross had some hard production. Low key

JD was also doing a lot of funk around The Death Row days that might have been better with adults over it.

Yall think rap podcasts have "jumped the shark?" Take Combat for instance, the namesake I started this thread on 3 years ago. The first rap podcast I was really into, when I was toiling away for a entertainment PR firm. As noted in the past couple pages, there have been skippable episode, he's displayed the IDGAF attitude, and I'm not even sure he can carry the show alone. Everybody is essentially interviewing the same guest, even if it's 2-3 years later, we've heard the same stories, know their rise to stardom, etc

I can count on one hand podcasts who are bringing a different edge to the rap podcast game (IMO)

The Cipher (super nerdy, "hip hop head" podcast, but it really gets into the nuts and bolts of the artist and their music. If you like Nardwuar you'll like Shawn Setaro)
A Waste of Time (You'll find guests from the other podcasts, but their light hearted approach along with their knowledge makes the show a great listen)
Drink Champs (It's universally praised in here, Nore is gonna get stories out of his guests no one else really can)

I still listen to Combat, hopped on the Rap Radar train, and listen to Juan Ep regularly but they don't pique my interest as much has the above 3 do

I'm definitely turning this into a blog post

I'll check out A Waste Of Time. I've been listening to the Illmind The Cipher. Sean ask good questions, I just don't always care about his guest.

Will check out JD's interview. Son is SEVERELY underrated. I don't think enough people know his work. He's produced and written so many classics.

I agree, but I like his R&B work better than rap, maybe because I was never a fan of his rap artist.

Word? I think that might be the last classic interview actually.

Those are in the HOF. Gates and Premium going at it was classic lmao

Magic33 Magic33

I have the same issue with The Cipher. I only listen sometimes, since some guests I couldn't care less about but when it is a guest I'm interested in (ie Phonte, Dame Grease, Anton Pukshansky) the episodes are fascinating.

TY DOLLA $ is on Rap Radar and it's a really informative episode, had no idea his brother was really dropping material straight from jail.

also I'm going back listening to older Bodega Boys episodes & even if the show revolves around current events.. it's very easy to go back to old episodes and still be extremely entertained. that show contains some of the most wittiest jokes as of now. :lol:

Yeah, his brother released like 10-15 videos from his jail cell. I'll have to check that interview too.

I honestly can't remember if I listened to the second gates ep or not

I feel like I didn't but may have

Back
Top Bottom