The Death of Hyphy - interesting article about the behind the scenes at KMEL

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

There was a hip-hop station in the back called Power 92? Why did I never hear of it? Does it still exist?

yeah it was running a 4 or 5 years ago maybe? but they closed up shop... i remember 94.9 running a "turn the power out" promo the weekend power92 shut down...

personally, hyphy isn't dead, it's just not as popular as it used to be.

trendy music comes and goes.

i know that capital records recently opened up an office in the bay and since the dip in the music industry they are in desperate need for the next big thing.

Hyphy is just another trend..

It was a nice local scene back in the 90's..until it blew up in the 2000+..and even more when mac dre died. then everybody started hopping on..cashing outon the culture..and thus killed it.

it happens with everything if you think about it. Think about the over saturation of bape..all over print.

I keep reading in the comments to that article + also in this thread people saying KMEL sucks, the music they play is wack, etc...but what are you expectingthem to play? I've been listening to them since the 80s and as far as I can remember, they've always followed a Top 25/Urban format. I mean, there wasa time back when Summer Jams were two days long where they played a lot of latin freestyle stuff and the radio personalities were more real, but they havealways catered to mainstream.

Whenever I travel and listen to radio stations in other major markets like NY or LA, their playlists are far worse (think redundant, TRL-friendly songs). Ifind KMEL does break new music first...for example when the Alicia Keys album came out they played numerous cuts, not just on release day but regularly in themix, etc and I'm sure that plays a major role into what artists ultimately release as singles. No other radio station I'm aware of does this. Whenevermy GF comes up from Socal she's always asking, "Who's this?" because they're not playing it down there yet.

who cares. hyphy 2006-2006.
laugh.gif

I persoanlly always liked hyphy music, the music itself that is. I'd get giggin at a party cuz the music just gets you pumped up and ready and everything.I'm surprised Big Von was liek that cuz he seemed like a cool dude on the radio.

i think the oversaturation of hyphy music killed it too. you had stupid cd's like thizz nation, thizz latin, thizz asia and the like dropping albums leftand right not to metion aother bay area artists dropping thizz or hyphy albums. they would drop like 4 or more albums a year and it be all garbage like one ortwo songs would be good. id stop buying bay area rap cause of this, there is only a few select artists id still by.

i travel back and forth between san luis obispo and sf about every week, and when i listen to the radio on the way... i swear...FLO' RIDA ON REPEAT!!!

Flo' Rida killed hyphy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jon920

i travel back and forth between san luis obispo and sf about every week, and when i listen to the radio on the way... i swear...FLO' RIDA ON REPEAT!!!

Flo' Rida killed hyphy
laugh.gif

Seriously, that and 'Gettin Buck In Here' by Fellie Fel. They keep that song on regular rotation (at least on Power 106) like it's dominatingthe charts.

And why do all the stations out there still play Let It Go like it just came out yesterday?
roll.gif

Hyphy didn't die because of lack of radio play. It died because of a lack of quality and substance.

It didn't help that the recording industry went into decline just as hyphy just started getting popular. It also didn't help that NO bay area artistshad dropped an album of any significance. Big Rich, Turf Talk, Frontline all dropped less than groundbreaking LPs - Ya Boy, Clyde Carson had some ear catchingsingles but that was about it.

Its been along time since any Bay Area artists has a dropped a quality album from start to finish.

Finally..Big Von > Mistah FAB. Dude has just gone too far with his yellow bus nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom