The Franchise or Draft picks= Championships?

I was talking with another NTer, You go boy, about what factor is more important in teams winning championships, and my argument was that championships are often won by successful franchises (Yankees, Patriots, Lakers, etc.) that establish legacies, attract the top talent (players and staff), and generate big revenue in prime locations e.g. New York.  You go boy argued that draft picks were a bigger factor than the franchise, especially since it's hard to get a #1 pick and teams often get lucky on picks e.g. Kobe, Jordan, Tom Brady, etc.  What do you guys think? 

Depends on sport. 

NFL is draft
NBA is elite player (however the hell you get him)
MLB is money/front office

Originally Posted by CP1708

Depends on sport. 

NFL is draft

Basically it.

MLB is basically finding a balance in how you spend your resources... Gotta be able to budget yourself within all three and stay true to that for a number of years... Probably, in my opinion, the hardest one to truly build and compete on a consistent basis..   

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
Depends on sport. 

NFL is draft

Basically it.

MLB is basically finding a balance in how you spend your resources... Gotta be able to budget yourself within all three and stay true to that for a number of years... Probably, in my opinion, the hardest one to truly build and compete on a consistent basis..   
Absolutely agree, baseball with all it's levels and positions and needs and having to have strong coaching not just at the elite level, but at the minor league level and scouting and so on and so on. 
NFL is certainly difficult and what not, but it's one team, one level, that's it.  All resources go to that one team.  Not the case with baseball. 
NBA, you get one stud, you're set for a decade, just have to mix and match around him til you get the right group and then you have a window to compete for a while, make some runs and what not.   

Originally Posted by CP1708

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
Depends on sport. 

NFL is draft

Basically it.

Absolutely agree, baseball with all it's levels and positions and needs and having to have strong coaching not just at the elite level, but at the minor league level and scouting and so on and so on. 
NFL is certainly difficult and what not, but it's one team, one level, that's it.  All resources go to that one team.  Not the case with baseball. 
NBA, you get one stud, you're set for a decade, just have to mix and match around him til you get the right group and then you have a window to compete for a while, make some runs and what not.   

Eh that one stud doesn't equal championships. I would say that a superstar and one other (or multiple) all-stars is what's necessary. Jordan couldn't do it alone, had Pippen. Shaq needed Kobe and D-Wade and vice versa. 2004 there wasn't one superstar but their starting 5 was damn good and 4 were I would say all-stars at the time. Timmy had Robinson, and the other ones he had Parker and Ginobili. You can see the trend

Thing is the only way to get that stud in the NBA unless you are a Miami, LA, New York, ect is through the draft.

Well, you basically need a good front office for all three leagues. All the money in the world can be spent on overrated players. You need a smart front office for drafting. And this elite player requires the front office to guage correctly who is and who is not an elite player.

"Poor" teams with a good front office have won it all recently.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Thing is the only way to get that stud in the NBA unless you are a Miami, LA, New York, ect is through the draft.

exactly... this was my point from the get go... you have to be fortunate through the draft to get that high pick but also lucky for that special player to be in the draft where you have that pick for example tim duncan, magic, olajuwan and etc

^^ NY is the exception since the Knicks haven't won a championship lately. Look at the Pistons though when they had Chauncey.  An established franchise that was able to build up a solid reputable team. Too bad that they suck right now. It's because the higher ups make poor decisions. Clippers have gotten some #1 picks through the draft and they still are terrible because the franchise needs work and the Lakers dominate the market in LA.  Drafting plays a big role but there's so many other big influential factors in the NBA. 

Back
Top Bottom