THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO by David Fincher -- in theaters Dec. 21

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

^^I heard the books are really good.

But the target audience I believe is mainly towards older women (25<), and also older men as well.

For those that have watched both, the original and the remake, was there that much of a difference? Or was it like Let Me in and Let the Right One in?
From the trailers, Fincher's version looks almost exactly the same.

Also for those that watched it, I heard they changed the ending, is the ending worth watching?
Lol movie tickets are expensive.

I've read all three books and have seen all 3 Swedish versions. I think it makes a big difference that I read the books first then saw the Swedish versions (which I found boring and did not care for). I think Finchers version of the first film is much better put together than the Swedish ones. The change they made for the ending made sense for the big screen. the end result of the movie did not change at all from the Harriet aspect or the Lisbeth+Mikhal aspect that was portrayed in the book.

watched the swedish trilogy over hurricane irene back in summer, and just saw the american release...but i have to say i liked the swedish version much better

i think i was more drawn into the story looking for harriet and much more invested in the characters. i am reading the book right now, and trying to tie the three versions together, but i didnt really like the changes they made in the characters. i might be wrong here, but from the swedish one, i liked Mikael much more. In this american one, i found it hard to root for him in that he seemed like an absent father, had the affair w the co editor, and then gets lisbeth involved w lisbeth...then breaks her heart. I guess in the same breath I dont think anyone will ever top Noomi's portrayal of Lisbeth in the first one...in the american release lisbeth seemed more vulnerable and almost forced.

oh, also i @#**$%% hated the ending of this one.

i'm only about 50 pages into the book, and i am already tying the three adaptations together, maybe my opinion of all this will change when i'm done

The Swedish adaptation does not follow the book as close as Fincher's version did. I'd say once you get through the novel you'll see that Fincher did a much better job with the characters than the Swedish director. I have complaints with the presentation of Lisbeth in both versions. In the Swedish version I felt she was too strong of a character, too normal. In Fincher's version I thought that her connection with Mikhal wasn't as built up as it should have been and she didn't act as childish at some points and she should have.

From the book I've always thought of Lisbeth as an ultra intellectual that is emotionally stunted (rightly so), having the personality and social awkwardness of a 12 year old girl in an adults body. I think I need to wait until I see Finchers version of the next book to give an honest opinion of which Lisbeth is better. Her character development is so progressive in the second book that I can't make the call yet.

Someone also mentioned that there was a ton of sex/nudity in this film. The book had even more than what was shown in this film so I can't say that they over did it at all.

Originally Posted by superdude2311

i think this movie will be more entertaining than the original but not as true to the story as the foreign film. imo book > either movie tho
I dunno, I've heard a few people say that this version is more true to the book than the original movie was.  I haven't gotten a chance to read the books yet though.  My friends have told me the first book is difficult to get through and they stopped reading.
I enjoyed both movies.  Sometimes it's nice to see different perspectives and changes.  If they just did a straight scene to scene remake then it would be a waste.

Originally Posted by superdude2311

i think this movie will be more entertaining than the original but not as true to the story as the foreign film. imo book > either movie tho
I dunno, I've heard a few people say that this version is more true to the book than the original movie was.  I haven't gotten a chance to read the books yet though.  My friends have told me the first book is difficult to get through and they stopped reading.
I enjoyed both movies.  Sometimes it's nice to see different perspectives and changes.  If they just did a straight scene to scene remake then it would be a waste.

I hear the swe version was more graphic and the Lizbeth from that did a great job, but having not seen it, I thought Rooney Mara did a great job. Really captivated by her performance and I didn't think she was soulless or anything at all. Can't really complain about her performance.

I also don't really consider this a 'remake' just an american adaptation of the book. I doubt David Fincher tried to do anything the original did, or if he even paid attention to it at all. I know the screenplay writer did not even want to watch the swedish version as well.

I hear the swe version was more graphic and the Lizbeth from that did a great job, but having not seen it, I thought Rooney Mara did a great job. Really captivated by her performance and I didn't think she was soulless or anything at all. Can't really complain about her performance.

I also don't really consider this a 'remake' just an american adaptation of the book. I doubt David Fincher tried to do anything the original did, or if he even paid attention to it at all. I know the screenplay writer did not even want to watch the swedish version as well.

i was very dissapointed.

it was very brainy and forced you to invest alot of thinking.......with absolutely no payoff.

i'd talk further in depth but i dont wanna ruin the movie for anybody

it had some gnarly scenes...which were poorly transitioned from....

and again, the payoff was so cheap and disappointing i was ultimately left feeling very lukewarm about this movie.

i was very dissapointed.

it was very brainy and forced you to invest alot of thinking.......with absolutely no payoff.

and again, the payoff was so cheap and disappointing i was ultimately left feeling very lukewarm about this movie.

saw it last night with a female friend of mine. Saw it cold outside of someone mentioning that it was really graphic and a lot of people getting raped int he movie.

Movie was good. Cant believe Rooney Mara looked so bad (intentionally of course). wa looking forward to the nude scene. Movie lasted forever. seemed to keep dragging on and on and on. didnt want to end but was worth it. Ending left me slightly confused. Dont know how to spoiler so I wont ruin it. btw it the movie the 1st or the 3rd of the trilogy?

And tell me Rooney Mara aint look like Halle Berry in Swordfish with the Wig on.

saw it last night with a female friend of mine. Saw it cold outside of someone mentioning that it was really graphic and a lot of people getting raped int he movie.

Movie was good. Cant believe Rooney Mara looked so bad (intentionally of course). wa looking forward to the nude scene. Movie lasted forever. seemed to keep dragging on and on and on. didnt want to end but was worth it. Ending left me slightly confused. Dont know how to spoiler so I wont ruin it. btw it the movie the 1st or the 3rd of the trilogy?

And tell me Rooney Mara aint look like Halle Berry in Swordfish with the Wig on.

Thought it was a great movie! Have not see the swedish versions yet so I will have to check those out too.

Thought it was a great movie! Have not see the swedish versions yet so I will have to check those out too.

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

i was very dissapointed.

You don't like to think?

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

i was very dissapointed.

You don't like to think?

i love to think.

i love brainy movies

when there is a payoff in the end.

the ending was so predictable i was like "nah, cant be, this movie is way too brainy"

when an explaination of unimportant research lasts 10 minutes and is so in depth and involved i literally get lost

multiple times

then the end falls like it did

i was very dissapointed in the intellect of the movie.

hence

"alot of mental investment with absolutely no payoff"

thats what that means.

not to mention way too many scenes which were either disconnected from the movie, out of context to reference the book or shoulda been edited out from the movie completely.

i really thought the movie was average. without the gnarly rape scene it would have been a very boring movie. prolly woulda fell asleep.

i love to think.

i love brainy movies

when there is a payoff in the end.

the ending was so predictable i was like "nah, cant be, this movie is way too brainy"

when an explaination of unimportant research lasts 10 minutes and is so in depth and involved i literally get lost

multiple times

then the end falls like it did

i was very dissapointed in the intellect of the movie.

hence

"alot of mental investment with absolutely no payoff"

thats what that means.

not to mention way too many scenes which were either disconnected from the movie, out of context to reference the book or shoulda been edited out from the movie completely.

i really thought the movie was average. without the gnarly rape scene it would have been a very boring movie. prolly woulda fell asleep.

Back
Top Bottom