The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

^^^^I bet you have to be a pretty savvy web guy to get that job. Seems like a creative and fun team though. Big fan of their work and clients.

^^^^I bet you have to be a pretty savvy web guy to get that job. Seems like a creative and fun team though. Big fan of their work and clients.

Truth.

I've been a fan of their work for a while now and always wished I was more digital savvy so that I can apply there. HAHA.

Sadly, that's not the case.

Still, dope company—especially for those that meet the qualifications and would be able to work there.

has a client ever asked any of u for a W-9 form? or any other type of information? ssn ?

awesome thread. wish i could get better with the pen tool. :\

Been reading..

Apparently if the amount ia higher than $600 , they can ask for a w-9 ... Just get an EID ..

Been reading..

Apparently if the amount ia higher than $600 , they can ask for a w-9 ... Just get an EID ..

Yes, because a W-9 is a tax form for "freelance contractors." Therefore if the amount is over $600, they are letting the IRS know they paid you for work, but did NOT pay take taxes out because you are not on their payroll.

So as a freelancer, you need to keep track of this for tax season.

Also, a good estimate is a third of what you make as a freelancer will be taken in taxes. So, if you get paid $3k, assume $1k will be taken by Uncle Sam prior to you writing off your expenses.

Is anyone apart of any artist associations like AIGA? I'm looking to build my network for future job opportunities.

^^^^^Kind of an odd size. Would it stack like a newspaper? I took a layout class and they always said to never split an image where a fold would be unless it made sense where the picture can be cut in two. Of course that doesn't always apply. Also looks odd that there is no headline and subhead. I know people always want to break away from tradition and design constraints but something about it seems off. Your general newspapers all have that to a degree. Also the name of the paper sort of doesn't contrast well with the pic and I see about 2 orphans, so make sure to tighten up your kerning a bit.

I am sure you are not even close to being done but just wanted to point that out. And I would also use another typeface but me being no type nerd, I couldn't even suggest anything.

^^^^^Kind of an odd size. Would it stack like a newspaper? I took a layout class and they always said to never split an image where a fold would be unless it made sense where the picture can be cut in two. Of course that doesn't always apply. Also looks odd that there is no headline and subhead. I know people always want to break away from tradition and design constraints but something about it seems off. Your general newspapers all have that to a degree. Also the name of the paper sort of doesn't contrast well with the pic and I see about 2 orphans, so make sure to tighten up your kerning a bit.

I am sure you are not even close to being done but just wanted to point that out. And I would also use another typeface but me being no type nerd, I couldn't even suggest anything.

I appreciate the feedback. But yes not close to done yet. And about the image, they've done it in the past so i assume its ok

When its all done I'll put up another pic

TroyD.....nice my man. Shows what hard work does. And I know what you mean about working late. When I was in school for this stuff, I was an insomniac working always till 2am. Good tunes and movies always got my creative juices flowing though. As tough as it was, it was actually good times compared to this corporate stuff I do now.

Anyone know of any good layout design books? My teacher had this dope one for newspaper layouts. Had examples ranging from the way back to the 40's to present day. I know people don't geek hard on newspapers but there is a unsung art to it.

TroyD.....nice my man. Shows what hard work does. And I know what you mean about working late. When I was in school for this stuff, I was an insomniac working always till 2am. Good tunes and movies always got my creative juices flowing though. As tough as it was, it was actually good times compared to this corporate stuff I do now.

Anyone know of any good layout design books? My teacher had this dope one for newspaper layouts. Had examples ranging from the way back to the 40's to present day. I know people don't geek hard on newspapers but there is a unsung art to it.

Making and Breaking the Grid was one I used. It was pretty good imo.

Last edited:
Where do you work at? Was this recent? I follow Jeff Staple and only places I remember him going are Square, and Nike.

I'm in the WK12 program at Wieden+Kennedy in Portland.

He came to visit both Nike and John Jay (a mentor of his).

John gracious set up a private speaker lunch for a few lucky folks (and I'm saying lucky because I know I'm lucky to had been there) to have a chat, hear stories, ask questions, and eat sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom