The Great Gatsby vol. 2012 Tobey Maguire, Leonardo Dicaprio, Carey Mulligan

one of my fav stories....but this movie looks like trash....the old one > this trash

Originally Posted by IronChef

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

I hate that broad, her unattractiveness ruined Wall Street 2 and Drive for me
30t6p3b.gif

this all day! She's got that Kirsten Dunst syndrome
eyes.gif
Rachel McAdams should have gotten the Daisy role.
She should be that Green Light.
220px-Rachel_McAdams_3.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

carey-mulligan-daisy.jpg

sick.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

I don't even...
They don't know.
They haven't seen An Education...or Shame...or Never Let Me Go...or Dri--wait.
I seen Shame. Nothing moved when she had her little whorish sex scene. That broad is unimpressive but it aint nothing wrong with yall liking plain janes.
It's not so much the looks as it's the acting ability.

I gotta agree with everyone, she doesn't look at all like I pictured Daisy. Something about her seems off.

I just finished re-reading the book again and first time seeing the trailer. Movie looks interesting, but not something I'm dying to see. I also wanted a hotter Daisy.

I just finished re-reading the book again and first time seeing the trailer. Movie looks interesting, but not something I'm dying to see. I also wanted a hotter Daisy.
I thought they could have done waay better; Amber Heard or Scarlett Johansson would have been great for this role.

Hollywood did an excellent job this time around, pretty intense, very emotional 
frown.gif
 ... Man **** Daisy, and Jordan. Matter of fact **** all them rich heartless mutha....
mad.gif

It's a thin line between simpin' and putting everything on the line for love and James risked it all.

Jay Gatsby / James Gatz > Don Draper / **** Whitman

Last edited:
Just finished watching it. Was kinda disappointed.
The musical score was just terrible. there were like 1 or 2 songs that actually fit with the movie.
I understand they wanted something that was fresh but still had the old vibe to it but jeez. absolutely terrible.
Tom buchanon was pretty much the spitting image of what I thought he would look like.
The actor did a fine portrayal of him, better than Leo did Gatsby...

Was suprised to see Jay-Z as an exective producer of this tho.

The Jay-Z music kind of put me off, but I understand why they chose to incorporate his music. It's a cautionary tale of the Jazz Age, Jay-Z's music is suppose to be a equivalent of our generation's Jazz Age and rebellious music of the Prohibition Era ...I'm pretty sure because of the all white cast, affirmative action had a lot to do with Jay-Z's strong presence.

I cringed through the musical sequences with Jay-Z's songs. I HATE historically inaccurate music in films. Lana Del Rey lyrics to "Young and Beautiful" made the difference between the film being memorable and not a popcorn blockbuster. The lyrics were heartfelt and during the film can be interpreted from an individual perspective of each viewer's value of love, on top the viciousness of the wealthy social class. Enhances the narrator's disenchantment.

I have a different take on the music. I think they used modern music to place us in the emotion of the times. Whenever I watch an old film, I feel like I'm watching an old film. I don't know what it's like to dress like them or listen to Jazz at a party, but when they throw on a Flo Rida track, it takes me to the club scene, I feel what it's like to be in that atmosphere, making the movie a little more personal for the audience.

When they dropped "Who gon stop me"

tumblr_mgc3xpp2NF1s15sl9o1_400.gif

Besides the cringe worthy music selection, move was decent

Music selection in films is very big for me, it helps set a tone and emotion to a scene...so I cant see myself watching it again

Last edited:
grabbed a BDrip and will watch at some point but not expecting much ... need to see that redford version ... the entourage gif makes me think of how dope a scorcese version would be ... baz luhrmann is terrible

Watched it a couple of days ago and didn't enjoy it.

Terrible music choices and placement.
Can tell they spent more time focusing on how to make it 3D than anything.
Whenever he was writing and the words started popping up on the screen... Corny.
Mediocre acting by a group of actors I expect more from.

I loved the book and the '49 adaptation. Still haven't watched the one with Redford.

Last edited:
For me, movie was much like the book -- Flat. Nothing great, nothing stood out, and just overall "bland".

For me, movie was much like the book -- Flat. Nothing great, nothing stood out, and just overall "bland".

I know we all have our own opinons and everything but the book flat? Nah. I agree with the movie part though...

I know we all have our own opinons and everything but the book flat? Nah. I agree with the movie part though...
Hmm, personally I thought so.

However, to be perfectly fair - I was a 16 year old high schooler and immature :lol: - I wanted nothing to do with the book and it was nothing but a bother.

Nah bruh...the book is one of my favorites. 

Nothing bland about the book imo. 

But like you said you were younger then, if you read it now I'm pretty sure you'll like it. 

Last edited:
streamed it the other day. it was cool. i hated the original flick in HS, this one was much better. Story overall still wasnt that great though. Shrugs.

Never read the book, didnt know what to expect but I enjoyed it. I just can't stand the score.. Jay Z and the 1930s do not belong together.

Finally watched the movie today, and I loved it!! The trailer kept me from seeing it in the theater (I was afraid they'd butcher the novel) Loved Lana Del Ray's song as well.

Back
Top Bottom