The Heinz Dilemma

In Europe, a woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. The drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to make. He paid $400 for the radium and charged $4,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money and tried every legal means, but he could only get together about $2,000, which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying, and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said, "No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it." So, having tried every legal means, Heinz gets desperate and considers breaking into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.

What should Heinz do?

In Europe, a woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. The drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to make. He paid $400 for the radium and charged $4,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money and tried every legal means, but he could only get together about $2,000, which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying, and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said, "No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it." So, having tried every legal means, Heinz gets desperate and considers breaking into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.

What should Heinz do?

Break in, give it to her. Once he gives it to her, he can't take it back. I would spend any amount of jail time to give a loved one a longer life.

Break in, give it to her. Once he gives it to her, he can't take it back. I would spend any amount of jail time to give a loved one a longer life.

steal the drug...save his wife.

or

steal money...save his wife.

or

kill the owner of the drug...steal it, claim it as his own dsicovery...save his wife, and the world n do it at minimum cost

or

or

kill the owner of the drug...steal it, claim it as his own dsicovery...save his wife, and the world n do it at minimum cost

If Your Heinz and you love ur wife that much then yea do it...if u dont then dont do it

If Your Heinz and you love ur wife that much then yea do it...if u dont then dont do it

Originally Posted by OneLifeLoveKing

or

or

Pretty much.

Originally Posted by OneLifeLoveKing

or

or

Pretty much.

Pray..

Stealing is wrong. Death is inevitable. Character is defined by maintaining core values despite outside influences and circumstance.

You said should right? That's what he should do.

Spoiler [+]
But what I WOULD do is steal it and chalk up the consequences...

Pray..

Stealing is wrong. Death is inevitable. Character is defined by maintaining core values despite outside influences and circumstance.

You said should right? That's what he should do.

Spoiler [+]
But what I WOULD do is steal it and chalk up the consequences...

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

I pray that this terminally ill cancer won't take my wife. That is sure to work.
Don't be sarcastic. I was being serious. That's not hat you pray for. Having watched the closest person to me die from a terminal illness, I'm not posting from an ideal mentality but rather from a practical one. You pray for understanding and patience. What you must come to accept and understand is that despite the severity of the situation, 2 wrongs don't make a right.Now I'm no Saint. So I'd steal the hell out of the medicine to save my wife. But that's still not right and I won't justify it.. Any wrong is the most wrong.

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

I pray that this terminally ill cancer won't take my wife. That is sure to work.
Don't be sarcastic. I was being serious. That's not hat you pray for. Having watched the closest person to me die from a terminal illness, I'm not posting from an ideal mentality but rather from a practical one. You pray for understanding and patience. What you must come to accept and understand is that despite the severity of the situation, 2 wrongs don't make a right.Now I'm no Saint. So I'd steal the hell out of the medicine to save my wife. But that's still not right and I won't justify it.. Any wrong is the most wrong.

I know. Praying is useless and idiotic in my opinion though. Why pray for understanding and patience? Obtain it. They came be put to use immediately.

I know. Praying is useless and idiotic in my opinion though. Why pray for understanding and patience? Obtain it. They came be put to use immediately.

Back
Top Bottom