THE "HOW TO CUT YOUR OWN HAIR" THREAD

This is for all my fam out there that can't be spending the moneys for a haircut. I feel like I do a decent job and hoping to help out some others. I like to get my hair cut every 3 or 4 weeks at most, $12 a hair cut, it can add up across year when you could be spending that on an extra meal for yourself or use that for bills, etc. It adds up and that's not good being a college student myself. So, wanting to save money, and staying true to my filipino roots (pun intended), I started to teach myself how to cut my hair by myself. It WAS NOT easy and this will take a lot of patience, practice, and time. I went through a lot of mistakes and had to learn from that. However, once you get the hang of it, you will be getting free hair cuts the way you want it and not the way your barber thinks he knows how you want your hair cut and you will be saving some dough too. (I've heard some dudes get hair cuts every 2 weeks, too much money man). So here goes:

In my back yard. Best thing about this is that it's nice not really worrying about making a mess, plus you got sunlight. The mirror was being given away so I snatched that up quick but I'm sure you can find a cheap one at Walmart or Target. 
I got this haircut kit at Costco (You can also find this at a Walmart or Target I'm sure) and the hand held mirror at 99 cents store.

What I'm going to use for this hair cut is:

and a #2
Things are going to get a little... "hairy" out there.. Gotta wear some beater clothes. Hair will get stuck in your clothes and it's going to itch and is a pain to get out.  (Mesh shorts are the best cause hair can't really get caught in it). I got this barber cape thing with the kit I bought.  
Looks like I should be in a library and not outside cutting hair. 
laugh.gif
 Don't get it twisted though, library is my home during the semester. 
nerd.gif

And by the way, I'm not trying to look tough or sexy in any of these pics. I was just trying to look at my phone screen cause it was so bright and there is a huge glare lol. 
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: YOU MUST PRESS THE CLIPPERS ON YOUR HEAD AND SLOWLY FADE OUT IN THE DIRECTION THE ARROWS ARE POINTING. This is the basic way you are going to cut your hair. Press inwards, slowly fade outwards, repeat. You keep doing that until you get that fade at the right height. The reason you have to fade is so you don't end up with a bowl cut and a mushroom for head. over here I start out with a #3. and MAKE SURE you rinsed your hair with water first and combed it out, that way it will be a cleaner cut. 

After the #3, I used a #2 and did the same approach starting from the bottom except I went outward at a lower point, giving it a more natural fade overall and a pretty clean look. at the arrow shown. 
This is where that $1 handheld mirror comes in handy. Your going to use that to look at the bigger mirror to see the back of your head. Of course, I couldnt hold that, my phone, and my clippers cause I only got two hands so I just used the front facing camera of my phone to give you guys an idea of what you should be looking at in that mirror. 

Same process as the sides. You just have to get used to and be comfortable with angles. You must observe all angles and keep turning your butt in that chair. 

My grip is like this:

End result for the back is this:
At this point, it can be fun and easy. You just wet your hair or make it damp again and go to work. You can go with the buzz cut with the #3, you can use a combination of the clippers and scissors to make in fauxhawk. For me I'm just using the scissors to do a slight trim, making sure everything is neat.
The best thing about gel is that it can help cover up some mistakes you make and make them unnoticeable. 
And that's pretty much it! Now I have no idea about any of the technical terms and I'm open to critiques and advice cause I just learned it by myself. I will do my best to help out and answer questions but I'm no professional so don't expect a professional answer. 
laugh.gif

Hope this helps out some NT'ers out there. 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
Nawzlew Nawzlew :lol: Trust me fam, my worst experience was using a zero and cutting the back end of hair, making a bald square. :x
Lol It's all just practice, time, and being cautious

I wish I could cut my own hair, but with my hand eye coordination it would be disastrous. When I go bald I'll gladly cut my own hair

Shoutout to OP for the mean mug :lol: :nthat:

I've been cutting my own hair for a little over a year and a half. Saving so much money.

Been cutting my own hair for about 6 years. Glad I learned early. I can keep it shaped up when I need too, save on gas, time, and $20 every two weeks.

Been cutting my own hair for about 6 years. Glad I learned early. I can keep it shaped up when I need too, save on gas, time, and $20 every two weeks.

Me too for around the same amount of time, about 6 years now. It's not even so much the money savings, it's just the time and convenience. Takes me 30 minutes max to cut my hair and I can do it at 5am if I want too or 10pm before I leave the house.

Been cutting my own hair for a while but recently starting to grow it out. Going to get that haircut is such a relaxing time for me.

Been cutting my own hair since 05 when I was going to college in the middle of nowhere :smh: But if you are about that life, you have to be willing to either 1) cut it all off if you mess up too bad or 2) willing to walk into a barbershop and get clowned if you've messed up too bad :lol: Learning how to taper the back of my head was the hardest tho

Last edited:
I say it in every barber thread, but the self cut system is the best thing you can buy if you are cutting your own hair. Half the struggle of cutting your own hair is the mirrors. You can cut way crisper, in half the time, without twisting your neck all up. It pays for itself in like 3 or 4 cuts.

Good post...

I have dreads... And line myself up... Saves money... Line ups are costing $8-$10 these days. :stoneface:

I don't get the crispness... But its serviceable...

Sitting in the shop... Waiting and waiting... :x

If I had a low cut, I'd go once a month...

And just line myself up during the month...

I'm a black dude..

^
Damn. $10 for a lineup? My haircut cost $10. I learned how to line myself up years ago. I usually just line up my forehead and clean the sideburns a little since I grow out my beard.

^ son do you go to a barbershop or a homies crib? $10 for a cut? Sounds amazing. I pay about 25 every two weeks.

I say it in every barber thread, but the self cut system is the best thing you can buy if you are cutting your own hair. Half the struggle of cutting your own hair is the mirrors. You can cut way crisper, in half the time, without twisting your neck all up. It pays for itself in like 3 or 4 cuts.
eek.gif
 that 360 mirror setup. do you have the same one?   

main_top_left_img.png

Last edited:
I go to the neighborhood barbershop. The price in LI / NY seems to usually be between $10-15.

^
Damn. $10 for a lineup? My haircut cost $10. I learned how to line myself up years ago. I usually just line up my forehead and clean the sideburns a little since I grow out my beard.
That's how much it used to cost me.. But I can understand times are changing... And ten in late 90s ain't ten in 2013

^ son do you go to a barbershop or a homies crib? $10 for a cut? Sounds amazing. I pay about 25 every two weeks.

That's pretty steep. Are you on the east coast?

I'm in my hometown... Its $12... In a big city... I think cuts are $18-$20...

Still :stoneface:

Back
Top Bottom