The Invincible Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VERY off topic at the moment, but which league thread was it that had the constant back and forth between people here about "clutch" players?

I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's latest book and he wrote something very interesting about this (he buys into a "clutch" factor). If anyone is interested I'll happily put what he wrote in here.

VERY off topic at the moment, but which league thread was it that had the constant back and forth between people here about "clutch" players?

I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's latest book and he wrote something very interesting about this (he buys into a "clutch" factor). If anyone is interested I'll happily put what he wrote in here.

can you go back to 1999 and hand that to Donovan McNabb for me?

I'd like it, if you'd post it.

Last edited:
mister friendly mister friendly It goes:

... there's at least one things analytics always gets wrong: They refuse to acknowledge the existence of "clutch shooting" or "clutch hitting." Math tells us that being "clutch" is a myth, and that the performance of athletes placed in identical "clutch" scenarios will roughly equate with however they'd perform in any normal scenario. This is wrong. For one thing, every "clutch" situation is unique and distinct, so there's no way to compare any two real-life scenarios, even if all the technical details are identical. But the larger reason is that absolutely everyone who has played sports at any level knows that clutchness is real, to a depth that would make it become real (even if it wasn't) for purely psychological reasons. I am not the type who would ever argue that you can't understand pro basketball if you haven't played pro basketball. That argument is dumb. But you probably do need to have competed in a physical sport somewhere, at some level (even if it was just an especially serious summer of Little League). The recognition that certain people respond better under pressure will happen instantly, and you'll never try to convince yourself otherwise.

He doesn't use any kind of data to back up his belief (how could he, he's arguing against it's use in this point). But the last bit concerning an individual's particular response to pressure and the performance they can summon in that moment of pressure... Can any of us who have played in competitive leagues really argue that down?

I find myself going back to thinking that in moments of pressure, there are people who are able to fall back on their rote muscle memory (as well as memory of prior experience) to guide them through what's happening, rather than others who might blank out and lose their routine in the heat of the moment. Is that what makes some of us "clutch"?

MLB thread IIRC

OKB and Jew were very anti clutch theory based on sample size. i think.

Last edited:

Has @dmxfury shown himsef in here yet?
nerd.gif
how would you feel if you got called out for liking more than one team by a guy who likes more than one team.

Last edited:
dmx hasn't been on NT all weekend. He's beating the Pitt/Cincy/Cleveland/Baltimore heatwave.

Gabbert over Smith and Carr every day

Osweiler looking like 2015 Peyton

Osweiler with the Alex Smith stat line.

Osweiler looking like 2015 Peyton

For real. I don't trust this dude. Hopkins had one on one coverage that whole last possession and all he was looking for was the checkdown.

maybe kubes and elway knew something :nerd:

can you go back to 1999 and hand that to Donovan McNabb for me?

mcnabb :smh: will never forgive him wasting TO performance in the sb and costing him and dawk a ring :smh:

Has @dmxfury shown himsef in here yet? :nerd:

how would you feel if you got called out for liking more than one team by a guy who likes more than one team.

bruh :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom