The issue of Athletic VS Lifestyle that plagues Nike. Vol who's to blame??

^ yea we're both basically saying the same thing; basically the blame is shared between Nike/JB's greed and the lack of interest in quality products by newer generations of customers

I think in the states it is often like that.
Because they want to look like music
Or movie stars instead like athletes.
Here in germany only real basketballer
Are buying basketball shoes for the
Court while most of them and other
People wear casual sneakers like
Pumas, air max or af1.
Not many people wear basketball shoes
For casual here. I belong to the few
Here who wear jordans on and offcourt.

I think in the states it is often like that.
Because they want to look like music
Or movie stars instead like athletes.
Here in germany only real basketballer
Are buying basketball shoes for the
Court while most of them and other
People wear casual sneakers like
Pumas, air max or af1.
Not many people wear basketball shoes
For casual here. I belong to the few
Here who wear jordans on and offcourt.

If wearing sneakers is a huge part of lifestyle today, the popularity of Air Jordan is to blame.  MJ's immense appeal drew even people who weren't into basketball into buying anything he endorsed intentionally, or accidentally (by appearing with it).  This included the wild popularity of his line of shoes.  Prior to the AJ line taking off, gym shoes were primarily only for....well.....gym.  But along came the shoes that the most popular athlete on the planet was wearing, and all of a sudden, everyone from kids not old enough to appreciate what he was doing on the court, to middle aged fat men who had never played an actual sport since mandatory high school gym class started wearing them.  As more athletes got signature lines (Agassi, Bo, Barkley, etc), the trend of wearing sneakers as casual shoes expanded exponentially.  So this is not a new phenomenon, and certainly not the main reason for Nike's douchebaggery.

What Nike is doing now is no different than what the majority of corporate America is doing:  Give people the cheapest product you can while maintaining the same prices as when we made quality products.  Sure, they'll b*tch and complain for a while when that penis is initially inserted in their @ss, but eventually, they'll get used to the pain, and will quiet down and just take it.  Then, once they're used to that, we will stick it in a bit further, and repeat the cycle.  You see, nothing the American mass public complains about ever changes because, despite their initial dissatisfaction, they won't do anything about it.  They won't protest the actions, boycott the products, bombard them with their voices on the matter, etc.  Nothing.  And as time passes, and the complaints diminish, that lowering of quality that we all thought was so horrible becomes the new standard, and we look back and say "oh it's not THAT bad".  Rinse and repeat.  And so the downward spiral goes to where America is at today, and will continue to go.

Originally Posted by MikeRendo

Ithink this may be the case more for retros. I own a few pairs of thelebron v1, Jordan 2011 and I feel the leather and build on them is goodquality. Nike knows that most consumers aren't gonna use retro jordans,retro air maxes etc. and expect great performance. Most people useretro products for casual use. If your lookin for a great basketballshoe buy something that came out this year not something that wasorginally produced over 10-15 years ago, with 10-15 year old technology.
Peoplereally need to get off this whole "10 - 15 year old technology" crap. Don't be a sucker for marketing and hype.  What's changed so much overthe course of the last 15 or so years in shoe technology, hmm?  Thevirtually non-existent materials of the uppers disguised as being "for weightreduction purposes"?  The tweaking of the architecture of the airpockets?  Flywire??? 
roll.gif
   Face it.  Nothing major has been done to make a dramatic difference inathletic shoe performance over the last decade.  Every bit of"technology" Nike/JB has come up with recently has been a gimmick, soplease don't give me that "hoop in new shoes, not old technology"crap.  The problem with hooping in retros is not the technology.  It's the lack of quality.  IF the retros were made with the same quality used in theoriginals (materials, amount of padding all around, cut, fit andfinish, etc), they'd be perfectly fine for hooping in from aperformance aspect.

If wearing sneakers is a huge part of lifestyle today, the popularity of Air Jordan is to blame.  MJ's immense appeal drew even people who weren't into basketball into buying anything he endorsed intentionally, or accidentally (by appearing with it).  This included the wild popularity of his line of shoes.  Prior to the AJ line taking off, gym shoes were primarily only for....well.....gym.  But along came the shoes that the most popular athlete on the planet was wearing, and all of a sudden, everyone from kids not old enough to appreciate what he was doing on the court, to middle aged fat men who had never played an actual sport since mandatory high school gym class started wearing them.  As more athletes got signature lines (Agassi, Bo, Barkley, etc), the trend of wearing sneakers as casual shoes expanded exponentially.  So this is not a new phenomenon, and certainly not the main reason for Nike's douchebaggery.

What Nike is doing now is no different than what the majority of corporate America is doing:  Give people the cheapest product you can while maintaining the same prices as when we made quality products.  Sure, they'll b*tch and complain for a while when that penis is initially inserted in their @ss, but eventually, they'll get used to the pain, and will quiet down and just take it.  Then, once they're used to that, we will stick it in a bit further, and repeat the cycle.  You see, nothing the American mass public complains about ever changes because, despite their initial dissatisfaction, they won't do anything about it.  They won't protest the actions, boycott the products, bombard them with their voices on the matter, etc.  Nothing.  And as time passes, and the complaints diminish, that lowering of quality that we all thought was so horrible becomes the new standard, and we look back and say "oh it's not THAT bad".  Rinse and repeat.  And so the downward spiral goes to where America is at today, and will continue to go.

Originally Posted by MikeRendo

Ithink this may be the case more for retros. I own a few pairs of thelebron v1, Jordan 2011 and I feel the leather and build on them is goodquality. Nike knows that most consumers aren't gonna use retro jordans,retro air maxes etc. and expect great performance. Most people useretro products for casual use. If your lookin for a great basketballshoe buy something that came out this year not something that wasorginally produced over 10-15 years ago, with 10-15 year old technology.
Peoplereally need to get off this whole "10 - 15 year old technology" crap. Don't be a sucker for marketing and hype.  What's changed so much overthe course of the last 15 or so years in shoe technology, hmm?  Thevirtually non-existent materials of the uppers disguised as being "for weightreduction purposes"?  The tweaking of the architecture of the airpockets?  Flywire??? 
roll.gif
   Face it.  Nothing major has been done to make a dramatic difference inathletic shoe performance over the last decade.  Every bit of"technology" Nike/JB has come up with recently has been a gimmick, soplease don't give me that "hoop in new shoes, not old technology"crap.  The problem with hooping in retros is not the technology.  It's the lack of quality.  IF the retros were made with the same quality used in theoriginals (materials, amount of padding all around, cut, fit andfinish, etc), they'd be perfectly fine for hooping in from aperformance aspect.

Correlation is not causation. Also, "plagues"? Jordan Brand's lifestyle product (retros) and Nike Sportswear (Nike sports inspired lifestyle product) are both doing EXTREMELY well.

Correlation is not causation. Also, "plagues"? Jordan Brand's lifestyle product (retros) and Nike Sportswear (Nike sports inspired lifestyle product) are both doing EXTREMELY well.

It doesn't matter if they are making these Jordans poor quality due to casual wear they still aren't holding up well being casually wore.

It doesn't matter if they are making these Jordans poor quality due to casual wear they still aren't holding up well being casually wore.

i agree with you....its crazy how when nike retros a pair of pennys ,barkleys , pippens etc. , you find them in the "casual" section of the eastbay catalog.....these were all shoes i grew up balling in until the air units blew or the soles wore off , i wouldnt bother putting these shoes to the test for everyday use on court nowadays

i agree with you....its crazy how when nike retros a pair of pennys ,barkleys , pippens etc. , you find them in the "casual" section of the eastbay catalog.....these were all shoes i grew up balling in until the air units blew or the soles wore off , i wouldnt bother putting these shoes to the test for everyday use on court nowadays

I tell my brother all the time about sneaker quality and all he does is ironically Jordan shrug on his way to the register and cop some crap that he regrets within five days.As a person who buys retroes and hoops in a few its said to see pippen ones soles seperate .Todays Models may feel good but they are quite lame compared to ones of old

I tell my brother all the time about sneaker quality and all he does is ironically Jordan shrug on his way to the register and cop some crap that he regrets within five days.As a person who buys retroes and hoops in a few its said to see pippen ones soles seperate .Todays Models may feel good but they are quite lame compared to ones of old

Originally Posted by MaZeDOwNeR

yea no one is arguing about them doing well, it's a known fact that they are making tons of money by producing a cheaper quality and increasing retail prices. And you're also right about "correlation is not causation", there are more factors and I kinda wanted yall to mention the other factors you can think of just for the sake of discussion

Originally Posted by MaZeDOwNeR

yea no one is arguing about them doing well, it's a known fact that they are making tons of money by producing a cheaper quality and increasing retail prices. And you're also right about "correlation is not causation", there are more factors and I kinda wanted yall to mention the other factors you can think of just for the sake of discussion

The media killed the Pro Athlete what was once can considered a pinnacle of human achievement through dedication,hardwork,and talent has been reduced to a mere footnote.They took the luster out of modern sports .Players lives are no longer private .We don't let them maintain a much needed image we treat them the same as bubble gum acts like lady gaga,nicki minaj,lil wayne and kanye west Geroge Clooney,and Johnny Depp..Athletes used to stand for something special.Kids adored athletes as much as they adored musicians you wanted to be like Mike as much if not more than you wanted to be like Ice Cube.Nowadays the achievements and dedication the pro athlete has been watered down by a constant oversaturation of them in the public light.So their roles have been lessened and they are nothing more than folks who are paid to much .

The media killed the Pro Athlete what was once can considered a pinnacle of human achievement through dedication,hardwork,and talent has been reduced to a mere footnote.They took the luster out of modern sports .Players lives are no longer private .We don't let them maintain a much needed image we treat them the same as bubble gum acts like lady gaga,nicki minaj,lil wayne and kanye west Geroge Clooney,and Johnny Depp..Athletes used to stand for something special.Kids adored athletes as much as they adored musicians you wanted to be like Mike as much if not more than you wanted to be like Ice Cube.Nowadays the achievements and dedication the pro athlete has been watered down by a constant oversaturation of them in the public light.So their roles have been lessened and they are nothing more than folks who are paid to much .

how many different ways can the question be asked "is it us, them or both?"
in relation to sneaker quality
the tangents some of yall go off on...

how many different ways can the question be asked "is it us, them or both?"
in relation to sneaker quality
the tangents some of yall go off on...

wearing functional sport shoes are not BOOM anymore.
Most want only wear casual sneakers or old school kicks.
Guess people are favoring very decent shoes instead
of modern hi-tech shoes on the streets.
When i look at the teens on the street, i must
say it's so boring what they wear.

wearing functional sport shoes are not BOOM anymore.
Most want only wear casual sneakers or old school kicks.
Guess people are favoring very decent shoes instead
of modern hi-tech shoes on the streets.
When i look at the teens on the street, i must
say it's so boring what they wear.

Its boring because todays shoes aren't designed with appealing to anybody who doesn't play on serious level.They are almost solely marketed toward high school,AAU and College ballers.The only person still doing real ads for sneakers is Jordan Brand .Everybody else is not doing a dambed thing really

Its boring because todays shoes aren't designed with appealing to anybody who doesn't play on serious level.They are almost solely marketed toward high school,AAU and College ballers.The only person still doing real ads for sneakers is Jordan Brand .Everybody else is not doing a dambed thing really

Back
Top Bottom