The Minnesota Timberwolves Offseason Thread - Kris Dunn at No. 5 in Most Recent DX Mock

^ I agree with a lot of your points - but the problem for the Wolves is that they have to win now. The future is over. Taylor has instructed everyone involved that he is not playing around anymore. Thibs also wants no part of a youth movement. And the customers and fans are hanging on by their last breath. It's a perfect storm of the team finally just pushing their chips in....right or wrong.

I was laughing the other day reading that the last time the T-Wolves were in the playoffs YouTube wasn't invented yet, iPhones were still three years away from being unveiled....and the OK City Thunder were still the Sonics.

Honestly I still can't believe we pried Butler away for these parts...and acquired the Bulls pick along with that. It was a no-brainer.

Like the Teague signing

Millsap may be next, my dream of Gorgui coming off the bench may come true.

If we get Millsap I think it means Gorgui is getting shipped.. 

But I agree that Gorgui would be most valuable off the bench

Thibs really trying to get all former Bulls with no shooting. I don't see how this helps Wiggins right now.

Thibs really trying to get all former Bulls with no shooting. I don't see how this helps Wiggins right now.
This team cannot enter the season with KAT as one of their top 3 point shooters, let alone best.

Last edited:
I love just about everything that's going on with this team right now. I'm gonna miss my dude LaVine, but I can get over it. 'Sota better make the playoffs now though. I'll take any playoff entrance at this point, no matter the seed, but it will probably be apparent that going into the 2019 season, this team needs some shooters and more depth. That just seems like how it's playing out. I also hope they can now lock Wiggins and Towns down long-term because it's going to be a stretch of growth and waiting for the Warriors to start dropping off before anything more than a Conference Finals is viable. Never know though, but it's hard to put faith in hope for this team.

sounds contradictory to say you're glad the Wolves made the move to get to the playoffs (knowing they won't contend) by trading away young talent but also say guys should "wait" until the Warriors start to fall off. I agree that guys should be looking to try to contend in like 2-3 years. Problem is Jimothy will be 30 y/o then.

Zach averaged 19PPG in 47 games this year. Steph averaged like 20 when he was 21. It's fine, but nothing about this really adds up to a long term plan, imo.

Feels like boys just want attention and some recognition (as a team) :lol:. Not really winning a championship

Last edited:
sounds contradictory to say you're glad the Wolves made the move to get to the playoffs (knowing they won't contend) by trading away young talent but also say guys should "wait" until the Warriors start to fall off. I agree that guys should be looking to try to contend in like 2-3 years. Problem is Jimothy will be 30 y/o then.

Zach averaged 19PPG in 47 games this year. Steph averaged like 20 when he was 21. It's fine, but nothing about this really adds up to a long term plan, imo.

Feels like boys just want attention and some recognition (as a team) :lol:. Not really winning a championship

LaVine doesn't play defense. That's mostly ignored in basketball discussions. You also can't pay all 3 of Wiggins, KAT and LaVine without someone being "underpaid" by the Wolves. There's a point where you have to choose between your young talent and no matter how much youth you collect, you won't ever be able to pay them all if you hit on every pick.

Last edited:
LaVine doesn't play defense. That's mostly ignored in basketball discussions. You also can't pay all 3 of Wiggins, KAT and LaVine without someone being "underpaid" by the Wolves. There's a point where you have to choose between your young talent and no matter how much youth you collect, you won't ever be able to pay them all if you hit on every pick.

Lavine plays decent enough defense to start. Imo, WIggins should give up some of the offensive duties and be a lockup defender.

I'm not sure how we're discussing money relative to Jimmy B. Dude has the accolades and age to eat up a significant portion of the cap from here on out. How does getting Jimmy help yall financially?

Lavine plays decent enough defense to start. Imo, WIggins should give up some of the offensive duties and be a lockup defender.

I'm not sure how we're discussing money relative to Jimmy B. Dude has the accolades and age to eat up a significant portion of the cap from here on out. How does getting Jimmy help yall financially?

It works financially because Butler is a finished product and that finished product is a top 20 player in the NBA. LaVine was not. There's still a lot of development to be done there and he would've needed to have been paid and for not nearly the amount of overall production.

Last edited:
It works financially because Butler is a finished product and that finished product is a top 20 player in the NBA. LaVine was not. There's still a lot of development to be done there and he would've needed to have been paid and for not nearly the amount of overall production.

so you're gonna pay more for Jimmy (probably over the cap once young guys start to get paid) to not get you to contender level ?

vs. pay less for Zach and hope to attract more pieces along the way (or hope he pans out)?

and tbh, with OKC, Miami, Cle, GS in our very recent history - It wouldn't be very surprising if KAT/Wiggins/Zach found a way to stick together without making it a huge financial burden. The blueprint is shifting

I'm pretty sure the Timberwolves think they can be contenders, which is why you make this move in the first place. It doesn't really matter what you or I think, they still need to try and compete and Thibs isn't going to sit around waiting for the team to win, when at least getting in the playoffs theoretically gives you a chance.

I love Zach as much as anyone, but the fact is we looked better without him last year. Also, the Jimmy addition will allow wiggins to focus more on defense, another reason why I liked the move. When we were as bad as we were on defense last year it isn't good for these guys development. 

I love the idea of the kids growing together, but when you have a chance to add a top 15 player for peanuts and  a good prospect you do it. The warriors are a Durant foot injury away from toppling, as are the spurs, thats why they play the games no? Wolves are a top 5 team in the west on paper.

Good riddance to Bazz too. We still have a few more pieces to add/move. Not sure how our bench rounds out right now, Tyus is a 3rd pg, not  backup. I like our front court with Taj, but we could use another solid wing off the bench or two. The more quality players we have on the bench, the less minutes we have to put on our stars.

Last edited:
Thibs will run the main five into the ground I think we all know that. The lack of shooting is going to hurt us.

I'm sure the young three would've taken a pay cut but this is Thibs and Glenn wanting to try and win now. I'm worried about how stubborn Thibs will be going forward.

Like the Crawford signing, but still need to make a move. We need another 3 & D guy bad.

Cole Aldrich has to command some value, backup center for 7 million?!

Last edited:
Like the Crawford signing, but still need to make a move. We need another 3 & D guy bad.

Cole Aldrich has to command some value, backup center for 7 million?!

I love it given what left is out in the market and the contract they can give him. Still a few things to shore up, but that's understandable and expected. Wolves are well on their way, folks...:smokin

Gotta admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the new uniforms.

Not feelin the neon green (rumored) alts though.

I don't really care about them. They're average. Clean, but bland at the same time. Could have been waaayy worse, so again...I don't really care. :lol:

I don't really care about them. They're average. Clean, but bland at the same time. Could have been waaayy worse, so again...I don't really care. :lol:

I think they're better than the ones they had before. Hated the shade of blue.

Neon green alt sounds terrible though:smh::smh::smh: They should go Black for Alt.

Loving the expectations this year. Keeping them tempered, but excited. Still need a 3 point shooter but we have assets we can trade as the season progresses and buyers become sellers.

Back
Top Bottom