The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

I cant recall if I said that but Id agree to that.

3 time champ in 2 divisions. Wins at 145,155 and 170.

Wins over Holloway, Porier, Mendes, Diaz, Alvarez and an Undefeated Khabib.

Never missed weight or pulled out or defended a belt. Never popped for PEDs. Always made each one of his bouts fun whether you wanted to see his block get knocked off or vice versa.

MM, DC, Dillashaw and GSP would round out my top 5.

Come at me.

Fixed

Conor is an amazing talent and his personality and showmanship did wonders for the popularity of the sport. But when talking about the GOAT IMO it has to be someone who is without a doubt the best fighter in his weight class for an extended period of time. With Conor he has some great wins over top tier talent, but can he beat Khabib? Can he beat Tony? Can he beat Ortega? Can he beat Pettis? Maybe he can but at this point these are all hypotheticals until we see the fights happen. With guys like GSP, Jon Jones we dont need hypotheticals because we have seen them become champion and defeat every top tier talent the division sends their way for almost a decade.

If you want to be the GOAT its not just about beating the man and becoming the champ but also staying the champ and proving time after time that you are at the top of the division.

There’s some nuance to being considered the greatest besides title defenses

I care a lot about caliber of opponents as well as relative to their primes

If conor beat say a prime khabib a prime tony and then someone else all without losing in between id have to consider him. Doesn’t hurt that those guys are all at 155 as well, but anyway title defenses are great too but not the end all and be all

He’s already beat a prime aldo a prime Eddie

There’s some nuance to being considered the greatest besides title defenses

I care a lot about caliber of opponents as well as relative to their primes

If conor beat say a prime khabib a prime tony and then someone else all without losing in between id have to consider him. Doesn’t hurt that those guys are all at 155 as well, but anyway title defenses are great too but not the end all and be all

He’s already beat a prime aldo a prime Eddie
For sure, I’d be beats those guys it’s a strong argument for him. The reason title defendes are a good indicator is because by definition a title defense is fighting a high ranked fighter in the division who is probably in his prime. I don’t think Conor can be in the GOAT discussion not because he has not been active enough to prove himself to be the GOAT. Of course that could change over the next few years

For sure, I’d be beats those guys it’s a strong argument for him. The reason title defendes are a good indicator is because by definition a title defense is fighting a high ranked fighter in the division who is probably in his prime. I don’t think Conor can be in the GOAT discussion not because he has not been active enough to prove himself to be the GOAT. Of course that could change over the next few years
Not every division is built equal in terms of contenders. There’s some wiggle room there but I agree that consecutive title defenses are a great indicator

Wow are they serious with Valentina/Sijara headlining UFC 230?? What happened to Joanna? Even with her that fight doesn't sell well and this is a MSG card lol. UFC must have been desperate for a headliner and didnt want to make that 165 division for Nate/Dustin yet smh.

Rather have prefer diaz/dustin five rounder with addition of a other strong main card fight

Not every division is built equal in terms of contenders. There’s some wiggle room there but I agree that consecutive title defenses are a great indicator
That's true which is why I put GSP and Bones over Mighty Mouse. There's never going to be a universally agreed upon mathematical formula to calculate the absolute GOAT in any sport, but that's where the fun is. If there was no wiggle room there would be nothing to discuss.

Really not much the UFC can do as far as 230. Just poor timing with divisions being locked up or just recently had title bouts.

230 may have to be the sacrificial lamb for a secured 229 card and Im ok with that. We cant always get 3 title fights at MSG I suppose.

That's true which is why I put GSP and Bones over Mighty Mouse. There's never going to be a universally agreed upon mathematical formula to calculate the absolute GOAT in any sport, but that's where the fun is. If there was no wiggle room there would be nothing to discuss.
Agreed on Gsp over Mighty Mouse l, and agree there is def no formula for goat

for a GOAT discussion, if all things are equal in terms of wins vs quality competition, is a heavy weight always going to be ranked higher than a light weight?

For example, in boxing a lot of GOAT discussions lead heavily towards heavyweights

for a GOAT discussion, if all things are equal in terms of wins vs quality competition, is a heavy weight always going to be ranked higher than a light weight?

For example, in boxing a lot of GOAT discussions lead heavily towards heavyweights
For me goat has everything to do with actual skillset

Never Forget.

upload_2018-10-2_16-54-24.jpeg

Wow are they serious with Valentina/Sijara headlining UFC 230?? What happened to Joanna? Even with her that fight doesn't sell well and this is a MSG card lol. UFC must have been desperate for a headliner and didnt want to make that 165 division for Nate/Dustin yet smh.

After all the problems with nicco bae not being able to fight, them giving eubanks who couldn’t even make weight and was also hospitalized for her title fight is such a bad idea.

But a bigger/longer/stronger/ect.. guy can do more with the same skill set.
This is true but someone like a dj or a bones, no hw has ever had that skill set probably never will depending on what anyone thinks of Fedor

To me it’s very difficult to consider a hw the goat. They are box office hit but not goat

I'm not paying attention to any announced fights until Saturday. They wouldn't break news of a Jones return or a 165 division to take attention away from this weekend's PPV card.

Back
Top Bottom