The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

That’s my guy but he was definitely drunk off Proper Twelve when he typed that up

Next fight to make for him is clearly the rematch against Dustin. But hecause
of his high profile, that might be weird. Is that fight worth it for a main event spot?

Usually I read all of his posts in his accent, but for some reason this one felt off. Like I didn’t see him saying that

If he really is willing to fight some other than khabib that’d be pretty cool, let tony get his rightful chance. A rematch with Nate or Dustin would be nice or potentially some other match we don’t see coming at the moment

It's funny because my buddy texted me and said that he gives me much more respect re: MMA now that he read Conor's message ... I know I'm a Conor fan, but I think his analysis is spot on and honest and aligns with what I said in this thread after the fight ... Conor didn't think one bit about Khabib's stand up game ... He clearly disregarded this aspect entirely and had a rude awakening in the 2nd ...

The part that he omits is the physical toll that first round had on him ... The energy expended in the moment of realizing ****, I just allowed him to do what I spent all my time preparing for him not to do, and the subsequent panic that set in initially on the ground ... Anyone who has practiced the sport knows that mentally when you go in against a wrestler vs a striker, that first takedown is sheer panic ... This manifests itself in different ways but I posit that the first takedown actually won the fight for Khabib ... I got up from the viewing party I was at and said this is finished ... You prepare for months and get taken down and controlled so easily ... Smh ...

What bothers me is he throws slight shade at his team ... Like damn they told me to do nothing but prepare for the ground, and it had me overconfident about the stand up ... That right hurt ... Eerily similar similar to how Conor didn't even consider Nate's chin being able to withstand his left hand in the 1st fight and gassed out ...

Conor is at his best when his preparation overcomes his clear mma deficiencies ...

Feels like a good time for Conor/Nate III to me. Dustin falling out might have been the best thing to happen for the UFC/WME.

Very unfortunate for Dustin though. Because the winner of that fight would likely wind up against a Tony/Khabib winner if that fight gets done.

Yea in an ideal world they try to make Khabib-Tony as soon as they find out the length of Khabib's suspension. Then I could see them booking either Conor-Nate III or Conor-Dustin II for #1 contender.

Also, this weekends card is decent. I expect Volkan to take this one as Smith hasn't really beaten an top guys and Volkan seems to have the better striking. Also have to wonder if they consider cutting Artem if MJ ko's him.

I kind of thought the same but they would probably space those out and get twice the PPV bang out of it.

I don't know about Khabib doing 1 mil but if he and Tony did 500k plus buys it would be a win for the UFC.

Starting this Saturday we'll be getting 10 UFC events from now til the end of the year lol.

Was figuring put them together and see if they can break the record again and hit 3+ million buys
I can't see this happening for the fact Conor is a headliner no matter who he fights regardless if a belt is on the line and do you really put Khabib over him?!?

That then begs the question......has a non title fight (Conor Nate III hypothetically) ever headlined a PPV?

There have been a number of non title fight PPV headliners, Dana and the new owners just seem to have set the new mandate to have title fights on PPV's which is why there's so many interim belts. They don't need title fights to headline PPV's at all

There have been a number of non title fight PPV headliners, Dana and the new owners just seem to have set the new mandate to have title fights on PPV's which is why there's so many interim belts. They don't need title fights to headline PPV's at all
True, both Conor-Diaz fights were non-title headliners. I remember Nick Diaz and Anderson being a non-title headliner. There's really not many fighters these days worth of headlining PPV's without a title on the line. I think before WMMA's and the weights under LW being in the UFC there were more non-title headlined PPVs.

64D85911-EE97-48A1-A424-047E188A1C1A.png

Back
Top Bottom