The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Magny didn’t look right from the get-go. Almost like he was resigned to his fate and opted for survival mode. The first stiff jab from Santi had Magny uncomfortable and repeatedly rubbing his eye. Happened throughout the fight with Magny’s right eye.

He did nothing to maximize his reach advantage. Allowed Ponzinibbio to walk in freely and stalk him down with his back pinned against the cage. Magny actually looked OK when taking his corner’s advice to ‘be first.’ Beginning of R3, he came out aggressive with desperation. Popped the jab and strung together a few combos with kicks mixed in.

Ponzinibbio’s leg kicks were brutal. Stymied Magny’s ability to move and counter. Like a cornered animal. Magny defensively would throw a couple front kicks and shell up with his guard. At no point did he throw anything damaging or noteworthy.

Santi could’ve finished Magny earlier if he committed to leg kicks but you get the feeling he wanted the dramatic finish with his powerful right hand in front of his countrymen.

I came away most impressed with Ricardo Lamas on the entire card. He was another loss or two away from being considered ‘washed.’ Like Ponzinibbio, Lamas’s leg kicks were powerful and had Elkins grimacing. Lamas’s boxing was crisp, very sharp in his exchanges with Elkins. Recall seeing a handful of elbows, knees in the clinch and the occasional spinning back kick.

“Bully” fought a smart fight. Changed levels and mixed in takedowns. That Bektic comeback was fresh in Ricardo’s mind. Didn’t want to rush or force the issue for a stoppage. Instead went the methodical route and systematically broke Elkins down with vicious ground-and-pound in the closing round. Elkins is a tough guy to finish, last man to do it was my guy Mendes in 2013.

Some might argue the stoppage was borderline but Elkins was leaking blood and having trouble seeing from his left eye. Lamas was landing punishing elbows from top position, and probably won the first two rounds anyway. Elkins has a ton of bouts on his resume, wise for the ref to protect the fighter’s longevity from unnecessary damage, pain and punishment.

Johnny Walker is a character. With the bizarre facial expressions and jokingly faking pain from a leg kick. His reach advantage was significant and he measured range vs. Rountree well. Nasty, nasty plum clinch. That elbow was precision personified.

Heinisch’s fight strategy was puzzling to me. He had “Mutante” hurt and gassed in R3. All Heinisch had to do was tee off on Ferreira against the cage with his boxing. Instead Heinisch opts to engage in the clinch and the ground, allowing it to go to decision. “Mutante” was throwing back with no power in his shots the final three minutes.

Botelho disappointed me the most last night, partly because my mentor and I wagered quite a bit for her to win. Calvillo was the best opponent Botelho had faced, but came in a full two pounds heavy.

Poliana was lighting up other girls with body kicks and was supposed to be the ‘next big thing’ from Nova União. That proved to be true in the stand-up, she was lighting up Calvillo on the feet and winning every striking exchange.

But once Cynthia got the fight to the ground, Botelho looked like a fish out of water. Had no answer for Calvillo’s grappling/ground-and-pound. Time to get back in the gym in Rio and work on her BJJ because it wasn’t pretty last night.

Marlon Vera can be fun to watch, well rounded and likes to try to put on a show. Time to get another contender and see if he can get over the hump
Guido nearly had Vera out in R1. Adrenaline dumped in front of the home crowd. Heck of a comeback by Vera to execute the RNC quick in R2. Same way Cannetti lost to Briones.

Just saw the Chuck-Tito 3 bout is this weekend. I'd be surprised if this does over 200k buys, looks like Oscar and Golden Boy are expecting low numbers as they are doing a black Friday sale for $19.99 LOL.

Yep I know better than to get excited for a 'potential' Cain fight. Not buying that he wasted a year being healthy and didn't book a fight. Coaching money can't be that good?!

Looks like Stipe ain't gonna sniff a title shot until the Cormier v Brock and Bones situations run their course.

Definitely an interesting matchup tho, I wonder how good or bad Cain looks in the ring after all those injuries

The one thing cain still got going for him is that chin....prolly got the best chin at HW right now aside from DC, maybe francis

Stipe chin always been suspect, that thing frail now

That’s an awesome fight if it happens. Whoever wins would most likely be the heir apparent to Cormier.

Hate throw the I word around “interim” but maybe they should make it that so they have a #1 guy when Cormier retires.

Back
Top Bottom