The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

No fan of jake but it’s arguable he had just as good a resume possibly even better than his friend nate. He was one of the best during his peak

He’s probably the most accomplished member of the scrap pack.

No knock on Shields but there was similar level of hype with him coming in and ultimately he came up a little short.

He’s probably the most accomplished member of the scrap pack.

No knock on Shields but there was similar level of hype with him coming in and ultimately he came up a little short.
tbh I'm just happy Ben got over to the UFC so he could measure up

He was a forgotten man for a while, nobody gave a rat's *** about him, even the hardcores. It was a bit astounding to see how much reaction he drove when he first came over. Yes he was a troll but he wasn't really a good troll, he was like a watered down version of Chael

He was a boring wrestler. The metrics on views and likes and what not were insane if you think about it. I also don't know what type of hype he truly was getting. Attention, certainly but I don't know how many were saying he was going to come in and be champ right away

I give Ali respect for always being a ride or die with his fighters and also keeping the same energy riding solo... but this man is asking for it. He really out in the streets giving zero ****s

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Fedor had come to Zuffa.
Probably the same.

The superheavyweights (Brock, Ubereem, Carwin, Bigfoot) that started showing up once he got older would've been a problem for him. But he beat Arlovski., Sylvia and Prime Nogueira. And the UFC heavyweight division has always been weak, I think Fedor at his peak still woulda run through it in his era. He would've at the least done as well as Randy Couture. And I think he woulda beat Couture just like Nog did.

Man I'm starting to love Ali :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He really does keep that same energy anytime any place. With anybody. I thought him slapping Colby in the face at the crab buffet in Vegas was a stunt...

Hes since slapped a half dozen other grown *** men in their ****. :lol:

Yall better respect this man or beat his *** cuz hes not with the fu fu LOL

Just watched the Lima-Rory rematch. First 3 rounds were very slow but Lima really turned it up the last couple and I thought he was going to finish Rory in the 5th.

I could see Rory calling it a career as he just doesn't seem to have the drive anymore. But this is Rory and he could reinvent himself and go on another run...

The superheavyweights (Brock, Ubereem, Carwin, Bigfoot) that started showing up once he got older would've been a problem for him. But he beat Arlovski., Sylvia and Prime Nogueira. And the UFC heavyweight division has always been weak, I think Fedor at his peak still woulda run through it in his era. He would've at the least done as well as Randy Couture. And I think he woulda beat Couture just like Nog did.
My sentiments as well. People forget that UFC really didnt have a great HW divison. Most talent was in other ORGs.

The guys that give him problems are the guys who were/are cutting to 265 just on sheer size mixed with ability alone.

Didn’t Fedor get KO’d by Hendo?
Yep that was his 3rd loss in a row (Werdum and Bigfoot being the others). I remember his loss to Werdum being a huge deal at the time and kind of took him out of the GOAT convos especially after the next two losses. Still I also believe he'd have been the champ in the UFC during a good portion of the 00's until he would run into the top tier like JDS, Cain, Reem etc.

Hes far from being out of the goat convo. Sure his career tailed off but if your gonna say that the werdum fight took him out of the goat convo then GSP should never be in there because he got Serra'd in the middle of his prime lol.

Was Silva's GOAT status undone by getting KO'd by weidman? Mma is a brutal sport and if you stick around too long it will happen to anyone.

You can point to alot of factors on why someone isnt the goat but just because they eventually lose and start to look human isnt one.

Maybe a bad analogy because his wizards days were underrated but we dont say Jordan isnt the goat because he didnt look himself towards the end

Reem was in StrikeForce prior to Zuffa.

That Strike Force purchase infused the HW and WW division (off the top of my head).

Fedor’s run would’ve ended in 2011 no matter if he was in Strike Force or Zuffa. He lost to Werdum and Hendo. Cain became champ in fall 2011. JDS, Cain or Mr Rousey would’ve been too much for dude. Hell, maybe even Roy Nelson at that point.

GSP ended his career as a champion. He rebounded from the Serra loss by absolutely dominating WW. Took time off and came back and won a belt in another weight class. We don’t know what will happen with the Khabib fight but you have to admit you’re not questioning if GSP can be a legitimate threat to Khabib.

After the Werdum, Hendo and Silva loss, it was a wrap for Fedor. On top of it...he ducked or avoided the UFC. The challenge of fighting the worlds best didn’t interest him. Just money.

The challenge of fighting the worlds best didn’t interest him. Just money.

Rampage & Anderson came over from Pride right around the time Fedor was at his peak and won the light heavy and middleweight titles upon arrival, so apparently the world's best weren't in the UFC. A similar thing happened when Strikeforce transitioned over. WEC as well. Just because dudes are in the UFC it doesn't mean they're the best, especially in those times when Fedor was at his peak.

And Dana was playing hardball in negotiations if I remember right so he went where the money was better. Not mad at him.

I agree with the statement of Zuffa not having the absolute best.

Shogun, Big Nog, Rampage, Anderson, Dominic Cruz, Faber, DJ, Pettis, Rockhold, Woodley, DC, etc were all in other organizations.

I just think that Fedor being in the GOAT discussion with rumors of fixed fights, PEDs in Pride...not thriving in the Strike Force HW Grandprix (DC won). Not taking the Brock fight and competing against Cain. Makes it difficult to say he’s in my top three. I’d put GSP, Khabib, JBJ, DC above him.

Dunno if we can say Fedor was ducking the ufc when he spent almost all of his prime in Pride fighting the best. No athletic commission either so people were juicing. Dude was beating a beast in Big Nog, Randleman who almost broke his neck, coleman, a prime CroCop. It's probably best to say Fedor was the best in his era. Then the next era was gsp and anderson. Now we got juiced up jones.

Dunno if we can say Fedor was ducking the ufc when he spent almost all of his prime in Pride fighting the best. No athletic commission either so people were juicing. Dude was beating a beast in Big Nog, Randleman who almost broke his neck, coleman, a prime CroCop. It's probably best to say Fedor was the best in his era. Then the next era was gsp and anderson. Now we got juiced up jones.
For sure... Fedor would have washed the UFC heavyweights from 2002-07 when he was rolling in Pride... Mir, Ricco, Sylvia, Arlovski were not as good as Nog, Coleman, Randleman, Hunt, CroCop

Back
Top Bottom