The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

Yet, “Wonderboy” isn’t interested in making that fight happen next.

“Not really… Leon Edwards, he doesn’t have a fight coming up but I feel almost bad for the guy, because he literally is the guy in the top five who deserves to fight for the title,” Thompson said to Submission Radio. “I think him not being able to get out of London and fight had something to do with it. That’s why they put up Gilbert Burns. He definitely deserves the title for sure. We are managed by the same management company and I feel bad he hasn’t fought for it yet.

“I think he is the scariest out of the division, really is. Every time you see this guy fight he gets better. He comes into the UFC as a striker. But he is out wrestling and out grappling guys like RDA,” Thompson continued. “Even Vicente Luque, they fought and he was out wrestling him and taking him down and controlling him on the ground. This guy gets better. He gets better every time you see him. Those are the guys that you really have to watch out for and really have to study for.”

Poor darren Till. Hes actually convinced himself all these losses dont matter and hes a big star beyond the results. There is some truth to that but very little. Hes not getting Nate and if he loses his next one... yikes. Career going the Lawler route

Wonderboy on Costa

“I don’t consider Paulo Costa a technical striker at all,” Thompson said on Submission Radio, rating Costa’s skills. “I think he’s a brawler. I mean, you see him do it time and time again, he breaks people. For a guy that shredded and that big, he’s got cardio for days, this guy.”

“I think after the first round, maybe Paulo Costa, if Izzy can tire him out just a little bit, it’s going to slow him down, and Israel Adesanya’s going to be able to have a field day counter striking this guy. I think I got my man Izzy winning that fight.”

If you don't think Vettori took Adesanya's 0, "Borrachinha" will leave no doubt. With constant forward pressure. Wanna see Costa rip the body shots and kicks, don't headhunt Israel. Go the death by accumulation route. For those questioning Paulo's cardio, he was still going in R3 vs. Romero. Throwing strikes, showboating and taunting Yoel. I don't think it's going to the championship rounds anyway.

I've been on the Paulo will be a very difficult challenge for Izzy train

I will never doubt Paulo's coach and the Yoel fight was enough for me to think this guy's heart is crazy. If he USADA don't catch him I think we're going to see him blend strategy with that savagery against Izzy...

So many doubt Costa though.. hardy, Wonderboy plus many more

Interesting. wheres the historical precident for the brawler overwhelming the technician? I just cant see it.

I guess you could say Costa v Hall but uriah was shook. His jab was landing he was just scared to get touched and work off it. I think izzy throws calf kicks and shows him angles the entire first until he adrenaline dumps then izzy picks him apart

I think it's an oversimplification and misnomer to label Costa as some wild brawler that just plods forward recklessly. Not you, I'm speaking more to the lazy analysis from Dan Hardy and others. "Borrachinha's" kickboxing looks sound to me from a technical standpoint. Leg kicks, body kicks. Very mindful of his body work, likes digging the left. In some ways similar to what Aldo does with the left body shot.

Paulo has a chin on him too. One thing I don't like is how easily he let Hall hit him. There were windows in which both fighters were close to putting each other out. Paulo did the same thing against Yoel, made himself too hittable. Not even defense or head movement for my liking. If I had to nitpick another flaw, Costa doesn't use his grappling at all for someone that's strong at BJJ.

Interesting. wheres the historical precident for the brawler overwhelming the technician? I just cant see it.
That’s actually a great question, though crude (I mean classifying Costa purely as a brawler) one I have never heard before. Tbh the sport is still young so that kind of impacts it a bit but you’re right I don’t think there’s ever been an example of this

I still contend Costas coach will have him ready and strategic

He does recklessly plod forward... tho hahah that's why all the fighters are taking izzy. If youre predictable you're ripe for a loss against any top opponent let alone a technician like Izzy imo. Of course theres outliers like khabib and francis but generally speaking at the top if you only have one way to win you're not gunna win. Maybe Paulo has some grappling tricks up his sleeve but counting on walking down the champ seems like a fools errand

Let’s see. I think Paulo’s strategy is to crowd Adesanya with consistent pressure so Izzy doesn’t have space and can’t find his range. For Costa, body work will ideally empty Israel’s cardio and the kicks will slow down movement. Costa betting his chin will hold up paying to close that distance.

I see your side though. Israel one of my brother’s favorite fighters. He likes the beautiful kickboxing in Adesanya. A true technician. “Borrachinha” could very well overcommit in the manner Whittaker did and get caught clean on the counter.

However, don’t believe Izzy is invincible. I’ve seen him look pedestrian against Vettori and Romero. You could probably throw in Silva fight, but Israel was showing Anderson utmost respect.

Gastelum was also landing. If Paulo doesn't blindly go in there like Whittaker did, which I just don't see him doing honestly, then what

Yoel ****ed up so bad in that fight. He had Izzy really on the ropes and shook to the point where he didn't mount any offense only defense. Izzy basically admitted as such, and credit to him for keeping his wits and not panicking. Still, that was only one punch and his whole demeanor did a 180

If Costa lands anything and is able to keep his wits that's where I feel like Izzy will be in trouble because Costa is going to keep up that pressure

been saying paulo needs to cover up and use that size/strength to force izzy against the cage so he can close the distance

the fight favors izzy in open space

SORIANOTRON SORIANOTRON We discussed that fight. I'll take any straight up bets on Izzy. Hall has never been half as good as The Stylebender. That ultimate fighter show wheel kick KO is the highlight of his career. Really underwhelming ever since

I would argue theres a distinction between that and a true technician. Hes not izzy or wonder boy or Conor. Theres levels. Costa plays checkers, Izzy plays chess. Costas footwork, distance control, head movement are at Kevin Leeish levels. Like I said good luck raining bombs on the champ when he knows like we do exactly how your gunna fight

Also have a feeling costa doesnt make weight. I know it would be his first time but his interviews lately he still looks like a 205er minimum.

I could see Costa catching Izzy, but I could also see Izzy easily picking apart Costa like light work ala prime Spider. Excited for it.

costa gonna use all that muscle as armor. Gotta gotta get in the pocket and swing to kill. Eliminate the distance for counters.

Back
Top Bottom