The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Yet another MMA podcast. I feel like DC is all over the place with Weidman, RC, Ben Askren and now Uncle Chael (is Chael the first Unc?).

Hype for these matchups, card looks great on paper

As far as the main event goes, I'm still not sold on Ilia being ready to knock Volk off just yet. I think Volk is faster than Ilia, on top of having an insane output while consistently not taking much damage from his opponents. He's just a better technical striker. Ilia has the power advantage for sure, but if I had to bet on one of them being able to outthink, outbox or overwhelm the other standing up I'd bet on Volk.

Ilia kinda loads up on his punches at times and sometimes looks like a wrestler with improved striking, but not necessarily a guy who can outstrike the best strikers in the division. If we're talking just standup I'd take Volk and Max over him right now, and probably Yair as well. And Islam couldn't ragdoll Volk so I highly doubt Ilia can overwhelm Volk with his grappling either.

If this fight happened a year ago I'd pick Volk for sure, but the combo of a quick turnaround after getting knocked out by Islam, plus him turning 35 last September are the only reasons I'm hesitant. And maybe the fact that Ilia is riding some serious momentum right now too, his confidence seems sky high. I think on paper Volk is the superior fighter and has the edge, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Ilia got the much faster and powerful hands. Volk has the superior technique though. Topuria can over extend sometimes but he's improved much better fight to fight. If he shows another level up in his game like he's been doing then he takes this fight.

Also really curious to see how defends the leg kicks and the southpaw kicks from Volk. Ilias a heavy pressure boxing style that relies on V-steps, pivots, and a busy jab to set his power shots. If he cant corner Volk and doesn't have an answer for the leg kicks and south paw body kicks, Volk might catch him bad with a head kick just like Jai Herbert did.

It was a fair question without adding the Eddie Alvarez qualifier.

Ariel can just get under peoples skin sometimes. Brock already didn’t like him.

I was listening to the MMAfighting pre fight show. They all brought up that Ilia tends to get dropped or get hit on his right side. Besides that last fight…Volk tends to zero in on tendencies like he did for Holloway one. Volks is also probably, besides Jones, the best at adjusting during a fight. I do think Ilia got some sharp mitts and close quarter fighting.

Edit: Alex has to be the main event for the Rio card. I just don’t know who would be the co main. Amanda and Glover are gone. Charles fighting on 300.

Edit: Alex has to be the main event for the Rio card. I just don’t know who would be the co main. Amanda and Glover are gone. Charles fighting on 30300.
Hope they bless Pantoja for that spot. Don't even care that there isn't a clear contender, just give him anyone. Man's been asking to defend there and he deserves it.

Hope they bless Pantoja for that spot. Don't even care that there isn't a clear contender, just give him anyone. Man's been asking to defend there and he deserves it.
Good point. Forgot about him. I like him, personally. I just hope it’s not another rematch. Moreno 4 (or is it five)?

Got Vera doing nothing but rolling on his back on one TV and Scott not knowing where to dribble when the floor tells you where to go on another.

**** going on.

Back
Top Bottom