The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

There’s more money for the UFC if they split it all up
Wasn't the original ESPN deal for the fight nights? Which started with the Henry/TJ card?

ESPN should definitely bake performance if they ONLY take the PPVs. UFC has had no incentive to sell the cards, their fighters, etc.

Wasn't the original ESPN deal for the fight nights? Which started with the Henry/TJ card?

ESPN should definitely bake performance if they ONLY take the PPVs. UFC has had no incentive to sell the cards, their fighters, etc.

That’s been my position as well but they don’t need to talk performance based when there’s so much competition for content

Again, T-City shows why his JJ some of the best in the game...

Hell of a performance, especially after rolling that ankle in the intros and getting destroyed in first round.

My mans stuck with it and his JJ prevailed.

On the flipside, what a disappointing performance from Yair, you cant take nothing away from Ortega but man Yair looked terrible in the grappling/on the ground. He just accepted getting taken down every time, not a good look at all, shades of the edgar fight.

It's crazy how drastic Moreno has fallen off, he was riding so high just 2 years ago, he was getting RUB from the UFC and everything.

Crazy game.

Loved the Mexico crowd BTW

Hell of a performance, especially after rolling that ankle in the intros and getting destroyed in first round.

On the flipside, what a disappointing performance from Yair, you cant take nothing away from Ortega but man Yair looked terrible in the grappling/on the ground. He just accepted getting taken down every time, not a good look at all, shades of the edgar fight.

It's crazy how drastic Moreno has fallen off, he was riding so high just 2 years ago, he was getting RUB from the UFC and everything.

Crazy game.

Salute for this assessment

I will add that Brian's punching is also pretty decent to good (?). his defense is obviously trash but he had some impressive punches

Cedric Doumbe is putting his next opponent through the ringer holy ****. This prefight entertainment should not be free of charge. Never seen trash talking quite like this, unprecedented. Makes Connor Aldo pre fight mental warfare look like a joke.

Crazy game.

Keep in mind what gym Moreno was at and who was coaching him when he was that high.

Would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out had the whole betting thing never happened.

I will add that Brian's punching is also pretty decent to good (?). his defense is obviously trash but he had some impressive punches
1000%

Decent striking now. His jab has gotten better. However, his defense is terrible lol. I’ll never forget when Max took time out of their fight (as he was stealing his soul) to give him a striking lesson. He absorbs way too much damage in his fights. Definitely didn’t help against a Max Holloway or Volk. Will probably lead to a KO from Ilia if they cross paths.

He’s better than Dern. But they both fundamentally have the same issue. They need a better method to set up their BJJ base. Plus they’re both warriors and willing to take astonishing damage.

So the champ v champ talk is now happening immediately in every division

Sean O'Malley talking about fighting Ilia before his first title defense.

Ilia talking about fighting Islam before his first defense. And Conor apparently.

Islam was talking about fighting Leon before he defended once (and his first defense was against the featherweight champ, not the initial plan but still).

Even Leon was talking about fighting at 185 in the leadup to the Colby fight.

I think even throwing that out there so early kind of waters down the excitement of fighting guys at their own weight class. Ilia literally took a **** on his whole weight class right after winning the title :lol:. I dunno man, just doesn't seem like the ideal way to sell future, non champ v champ fights.

Not completely mad at that.

But as far as I know most champs get PPV points. So for a guy like Ilia, building your hype even more while running over contenders could make him plenty of money in the meantime, he has a fan friendly style. And he's only 27, what's the rush? Seems kinda shortsighted to me.

Usually it's the other way around, but I think in these cases MMA could stand to learn just a little bit from the boxing game.

Petrino vs Tyson Pedro sheesh

Umar
Mokaev

Ufc fight night banger back to back

IMG_2783.png

Yeah his hands are solid, he's just not defensively responsible at all....when he's standing he's looking to press you hard, get you moving on the back foot and not let you catch a rhythm until he can press you against the cage and get you down. He catches alot of damage doing this, but he has success in the UFC with this style. His JJ is the ACE in his pocket.

You just CANNOT go to the ground with T-City.

He's right back in the mix and now the pendulum swings and yair is now at a crossroad.

It'll be interesting to see what Dana allows for Champ Champ. I don't think he necessarily even likes to do this
Champ/champ robs a card of a main event in this ESPN era. If all your champs want to fight each other, then how many title fights can you put at the top of your cards?

Weili wants to fight Alexa. Pantoja is cooo. Just wants to make money and fight. Suga wants to fight Ilia. Ilia wants to fight Islam. Islam wants to fight Leon. We saw Izzy move up to LHW. We entertained Alex possibly fighting Tom Aspinall.

The GOATs were the GOATs because they set records defending their titles in their division. These champ champ fights surrounded GOATs fighting GOATs. Silva versus GSP. BJ Penn vs GSP. Silva versus Jon.

We were all cool with Amanda versus Cyborg. It made sense.

It’s not like Conor chasing the Mayweather fight. Or just being a cash cow himself. None of these folks are even popular or have drawing power besides Nate, Conor and Jon.

I don't even know if I have seen Mokaev fight or not, I cant remember lol
It's better if you don't.

The Anti Brian Ortega Club in here should focus their dismay toward Mokaev. His striking is worse than Ortega. And he also is a member of the comeback submission club.

He's undefeated. But definitely has holes in his game. I'd favor Pantoja (this is prior to this Saturday's fight).

Back
Top Bottom