The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Hopefully Conor drops the boxing nonsense until after his MMA career, but can't blame him for taking whatever fight brings in the most money

He's keeping all of the names on the stove. Jorge. Usman. Justin. Khabib. Tony. Nate. Manny. Floyd

Everybody wants red panty night :pimp:

Hopefully Conor drops the boxing nonsense until after his MMA career, but can't blame him for taking whatever fight brings in the most money

He's keeping all of the names on the stove. Jorge. Usman. Justin. Khabib. Tony. Nate. Manny. Floyd
Ya, I can't blame an MMA fighter or a Boxer for selling out.

Those guys suffer repercussions later in the lives, so you might as well enjoy life and grab the bag now.

Floyd carried Conor for 10 rounds. If Manny doesn’t play with him that’d be an absolute destruction.

Back to MMA tho, I feel like Cowboy did what he usually does in high profile fights, that was a waste.

Also I’m still trying to figure out just how nice Jorge is. This is a guy that lost his only major title fight to Gilbert Melendez, was losing decisions to Iaquinta @ 155, lost to Benson @ 170, lost to Larkin @ 170, lost to Wonderboy @ 170, but then turned around and put Darren Till into orbit, followed by the Askren KO and the Diaz win. I don’t put too much on the Askren win and Diaz looked sloppy as **** even in a win against Pettis, and Till/Askren/Diaz are probably the best wins on his resume. I still think Jorge is a dangerous vet and gameplans well but I dunno if I’m sold all the way on this late career run. Really wish that Masvidal vs Edwards fight would’ve happened, I think that would’ve been a good one and answered questions about both of them.

I gotta see Conor vs someone with a pulse before I really start guessing what his odds are against Jorge, but right now I don’t think the gulf is as wide as some folks are making it out to be. I might go with Jorge for now just off size & experience though.

Floyd carried Conor for 10 rounds. If Manny doesn’t play with him that’d be an absolute destruction.

Back to MMA tho, I feel like Cowboy did what he usually does in high profile fights, that was a waste.

Also I’m still trying to figure out just how nice Jorge is. This is a guy that lost his only major title fight to Gilbert Melendez, was losing decisions to Iaquinta @ 155, lost to Benson @ 170, lost to Larkin @ 170, lost to Wonderboy @ 170, but then turned around and put Darren Till into orbit, followed by the Askren KO and the Diaz win. I don’t put too much on the Askren win and Diaz looked sloppy as **** even in a win against Pettis, and Till/Askren/Diaz are probably the best wins on his resume. I still think Jorge is a dangerous vet and gameplans well but I dunno if I’m sold all the way on this late career run. Really wish that Masvidal vs Edwards fight would’ve happened, I think that would’ve been a good one and answered questions about both of them.

I gotta see Conor vs someone with a pulse before I really start guessing what his odds are against Jorge, but right now I don’t think the gulf is as wide as some folks are making it out to be. I might go with Jorge for now just off size & experience though.

The skill has always been there, it's that he had a tendency to coast in his past fights which led to those split decision losses (also that Iaquinta decision was terrible). He actually made it a point to change his fighting style to becoming more aggressive which is why he is the fighter he is today.

Also I’m still trying to figure out just how nice Jorge is. This is a guy that lost his only major title fight to Gilbert Melendez, was losing decisions to Iaquinta @ 155, lost to Benson @ 170, lost to Larkin @ 170, lost to Wonderboy @ 170, but then turned around and put Darren Till into orbit, followed by the Askren KO and the Diaz win.

One of the reasons I’ve always been a big Masvidal fan is because he passed my eye test personally. I always saw an elite skill set in there in terms of his striking.

To your point, he also was legendarily subbed by Toby Imada.

Then Maia couldn’t sub him.

Those Iaquinta and Bendo decisions were questionable if memory serves.

Anyway, I happened to be talking to Phil Nurse, who’s worked with Jorge, about this and he had a theory about Jorge’s early career.

Basically said he LOVES to fight. To the point where he’d play around and have too much fun in there like he didn’t only have 15/25 minutes to score. Because he’d fight for an hour if they let him.

This was the case through the Wonderboy fight.

Apparently he had some epiphany during his break after that fight where now he goes in to finish and finish strong. That’s what we’re seeing now.

He has pretty much been a hard out for anyone through his entire career. He’s got his head in the game now and I think that’s the difference we see today.

That is true. Jorge specifically said on record that when he went to compete on that gameshow it changed his whole life and mindset

Agreed 100% on your first two points

As for your third, also include Jorge's coaching. They have really seemed to hit a chemistry... I feel they would have no issue trying to grind Conor down like Nate had success doing and drain the gas tank

Include his durability. The guy can take punches

C5D3CC8D-AB9C-480A-B213-297CBCAAA65D.png

ESPN really trying to call last night a KO kick?

:lol: at the red highlight on Donald’s head

Cowboy crumbled under pressure. Got stunned with HIS signature head kick. Conor came in and got the job done the way he needed to do. Masdival vs McGregor is the biggest fight to make right now.

Conor doesn't think Usman's Twitter was hacked after all and that it was Ali 🤔 😂

“I’m pretty skeptical of that. I’m skeptical of that, because one came through early, and it had all the hallmarks of that little (expletive) weasel Ali. They give him control of the accounts. He had Frankie (Edgar’s) account, he had Henry (Cejudo’s) account. This has been going on a while. He gets it and write something through their thing. I’ve been in discussions with some of these athletes, as well, to try to come on board and help them out with that. Then the way it was written, I knew exactly where it came from, and now all of a sudden a little bit heavier ones then it became a hack job. Whatever. I don’t know what the (expletive) is going on tonight. It’s been a weird night. The two guys doing the mad stuff. I don’t know,” McGregor said.

“History will justify us.” – Khabib Nurmagomedov wrote on Instagram.

The skill has always been there, it's that he had a tendency to coast in his past fights which led to those split decision losses (also that Iaquinta decision was terrible). He actually made it a point to change his fighting style to becoming more aggressive which is why he is the fighter he is today.

One of the reasons I’ve always been a big Masvidal fan is because he passed my eye test personally. I always saw an elite skill set in there in terms of his striking.

To your point, he also was legendarily subbed by Toby Imada.

Then Maia couldn’t sub him.

Those Iaquinta and Bendo decisions were questionable if memory serves.

Anyway, I happened to be talking to Phil Nurse, who’s worked with Jorge, about this and he had a theory about Jorge’s early career.

Basically said he LOVES to fight. To the point where he’d play around and have too much fun in there like he didn’t only have 15/25 minutes to score. Because he’d fight for an hour if they let him.

This was the case through the Wonderboy fight.

Apparently he had some epiphany during his break after that fight where now he goes in to finish and finish strong. That’s what we’re seeing now.

He has pretty much been a hard out for anyone through his entire career. He’s got his head in the game now and I think that’s the difference we see today.

Yeah sounds about right. He definitely always passed the eye test for me, dude is crafty. And I still remember how highly Gilbert spoke about him going into their title fight when Gil was still the guy, so I was always kind of expecting bigger things for Jorge afterwards and it surprised me when his results were so up and down. It wasn’t like he had a weak chin and was getting knocked out, or bad cardio, or huge holes in his grappling game, or lacked the top level athleticism or any real glaring deficiencies, he’d just lose decisions to guys where you’d be like...I guess that’s just his level? And then the late run happened.

But yeah he’s definitely a tough out. I’d still love to see him against Edwards but it looks like that ship has sailed unless Edwards somehow gets a win over Woodley.

Agreed 100% on your first two points

As for your third, also include Jorge's coaching. They have really seemed to hit a chemistry... I feel they would have no issue trying to grind Conor down like Nate had success doing and drain the gas tank

Include his durability. The guy can take punches

True indeed. When you combine all those elements it’s a lot for any fighter to deal with. On paper he‘s a tough out for anyone @ 170 except maybe Usman if Usman actually wrestles. And maybe Colby as well for the same reason.

I still think Conor vs Jorge could be interesting though, Jorge might have to respect the striking. Till is obviously a much bigger dude but he dropped Jorge before getting KO’d, I’m not convinced Conor can’t hurt Jorge or at least force him to fight a more measured fight. Conor dropped Nate three times in the first round at 170 the same way Jorge was dropping Nate, and that was a less shopworn version of Nate too. Their power and how dynamic their striking is might be very comparable so it may just come down to gameplanning, craftiness and probably Conor’s gas tank as well.

But it looks like Dana is going the Usman vs Masvidal and Khabib/Tony vs Conor route regardless so we probably won’t see that matchup anytime soon

I HIGHLY DOUBT Conor will beat Kabib if they meet again. Kabib is just too well rounded. He’ll smash Conor’s face in AGAIN! Honestly, I give Conor credit for finishing Cowboy, but he’s an awful person to cheer for. Dude has done and said so many EGREGIOUS things in MMA and continues to get chance after chance. Too much of a clown for me to ever want to see staying at the top.

Yeah sounds about right. He definitely always passed the eye test for me, dude is crafty. And I still remember how highly Gilbert spoke about him going into their title fight when Gil was still the guy, so I was always kind of expecting bigger things for Jorge afterwards and it surprised me when his results were so up and down. It wasn’t like he had a weak chin and was getting knocked out, or bad cardio, or huge holes in his grappling game, or lacked the top level athleticism or any real glaring deficiencies, he’d just lose decisions to guys where you’d be like...I guess that’s just his level? And then the late run happened.

One other thing.....if you watch any of those Miami Hustle vids from back in the day that centered around him, you can see who he was.

**** diet. McDonalds. Eating Oreos.

Blowing off training sessions to play video games to the point the coaches would go to his house.

And still fight at a pretty high level. He was his own worst enemy. He knew he was nice and acted like he could do whatever he wanted and still win fights and he wasn’t entirely wrong but wasn’t entirely right either.

Looks like he’s matured enough now where those things are no longer an issue.

I HIGHLY DOUBT Conor will beat Kabib if they meet again. Kabib is just too well rounded. He’ll smash Conor’s face in AGAIN! Honestly, I give Conor credit for finishing Cowboy, but he’s an awful person to cheer for. Dude has done and said so many EGREGIOUS things in MMA and continues to get chance after chance. Too much of a clown for me to ever want to see staying at the top.

Best case scenario for Dana is Tony gets that W. Much better fight stylistically for Conor. But still not at all easy for anyone.

If you're gonna have them fight for a fake belt, just have them fight for the BMF belt.

Conor can literally fight tonight, I'm not sure why Dana wants him to sit around for the winner of Khabib/Tony which isn't for another 3 months.

Also, what if the winner suffers an injury during the fight and has to sit out?

I think it's incredibly stupid to shelf Conor when there's a bunch of fights out there for him outside of Khabib or Tony but what do I know.

One other thing.....if you watch any of those Miami Hustle vids from back in the day that centered around him, you can see who he was.

**** diet. McDonalds. Eating Oreos.

Blowing off training sessions to play video games to the point the coaches would go to his house.

And still fight at a pretty high level. He was his own worst enemy. He knew he was nice and acted like he could do whatever he wanted and still win fights and he wasn’t entirely wrong but wasn’t entirely right either.

Looks like he’s matured enough now where those things are no longer an issue.

Interesting. Yeah you never really think about the outside the cage element with all these guys unless there’s a glaring issue, but that makes sense. So basically he really got his **** together recently and now here we are. Good he figured it out, he’s been fun to watch.

And yeah Conor vs Jorge for a one off could be good, the problem is that if Conor takes the L that kills the Khabib rematch payday.

Maybe the Jorge vs Conor payday could come close to matching it but I think it’s pretty clear Dana wants those Conor Khabib 2 sales

I think it's going to be in Conor's court. If he pushes and is really adamant about getting one more fight in, Dana would oblige him

From a sporting angle, going into that Khabib rematch based off this one performance isn't doing him any favors. I believe it is important for him to go through one more match that pushes him. Gives him adversity whether it's in camp or in the actual fight. He had minimal pressure. No weight cut, beatable/old opponent, no belt on the line, low stakes

To get mentally, spiritually and physically ready to actually have a chance of beating Khabib, I think he needs to get even sharper

Of course if Tony wins then everything changes again

LOL @ cowboy jinxing himself before the fight....this was even worse than the RDA fight

Conor coming with that magic

NEED that masvidal fight

no one wanna see another wrestling fight mannn

Back
Top Bottom