The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Lol wut...if DC didn’t go full ****** we would have forgotten all about dude.
STIPE????
A8924EAA-6DEC-4626-BC23-3337F2EB0F9D.jpeg
to be fair just a second before that punch dc caught him with a nasty eye poke. The second time around it was def a diff match

i should have worded that better, in comparison to Jon’s it’s food. Jon has a lot more finesse in his grappling in my opinion. aint no way Jon going punch for punch like he did with Reyes, for stipe.
I think you might be right for the most part but Stipe does have a wrestling background as well

I don't want to see Jones fight anyone next except Izzy or Stipe

Dana saying he had it 3-1 for Reyes going into the 5th

Jones looking kind of washed and the miles catching up to him. I thought my man was unbeatable but he better be careful because I think his time is coming soon.

I fell asleep last night and played catch up this morning (damn east coast). I had 1-3-4 for Reyes. Felt 2 could go either way and 5 for Jones. I know ppl will say the take down carried the 4th but I felt when they actually mixed it up Reyes got the better of the exchanges. I think it’s easy to say Dom shouldn’t have left it in the judges hands but felt like he did enough to make it an easy decision. Jon won’t take him so lightly on a rematch.

The 10 point must system literally says "effective striking then effective grappling" Those takedowns were nothing when Reyes got back up right away.

Disagree. Grappling is an umbrella term that includes wrestling, among other things. So a take down falls under that.

Not counting a take down would be like not counting a jab when nothing comes behind it.

My opinion.

Also, found this very interesting

Card is trash but I’m somewhat interested to see what Reyes can do with an aging, heavily tested Jon Jones. Especially after the Santos fight.

Without the picograms Jones ain’t lookin so dominant. The end is near for his title reign.

Decisions have to stay in the champs favor. But if they run it back and Jon does this again they’ll have to give it to the challenger.

Without the picograms Jones ain’t lookin so dominant. The end is near for his title reign.

Jones looked his usual self against an opponent hed never faced before

Against dominant champs, a lot of people lose before they step into the cage, reyes wasnt one of them, he executed a strategy that prevented Jon from controlling the pace of the fight, he just didnt do it all five rounds

Not really. If they fight again with the same result judges shouldn’t lean towards the champion. Simple.
The notion that a champion cannot lose a decision is a sham and shouldn't be encouraged, let alone be an official rule (which it certainly isn't)

The judges should never lean towards the champion nor the challenger. Judge the fight for what it is. Simpler

From what I’ve been able to observe

the general consensus says that Reyes won the first 3 rds and Reyes won 3-2

From what I’ve been able to observe

the general consensus says that Reyes won the first 3 rds and Reyes won 3-2
This is how I feel. I’d have to watch the fight again. But then again I haven’t read the judging criteria, I’m not sitting ring side looking down at a TV, etc.

Reyes got my respect. Everyone gave him no chance. And he won in my eyes.

Jon definitely showed up in rounds 4 and 5. But round 4 is a weird one too. The grappling was a result of getting rocked by Reyes. Jon never kept him down. I’d the criteria is effective striking versus grappling.

Jon since his return hasn’t looked good. His time is coming soon if things remain the way they are. He didn’t pick it up until late. It was the same weirdness in the Santos fight.

Some people legitimately feel like he’s lost his last two fights even though he’s on an 18 fight unbeaten streak.

Valentina. No comment. I like her. But no competition in that division. They at least gave us Valentina/JJ #4 in the cage.

The Severe MMA podcast was a good listen today

Disagree. Grappling is an umbrella term that includes wrestling, among other things. So a take down falls under that.

Not counting a take down would be like not counting a jab when nothing comes behind it.

My opinion.
"Mean nothing" was a bad way to put it. I Just think If their was no passing or any kind of control from the TD then it shouldn't hold much weight in winning that round. All my opinion of course.

But for real they really need to come up with their own judging criteria or maybe have 5 judges if they're going to stick with the 10 PMS. I do need to rewatch the fight but just going off fight metrics, all 3 judges should've had round 3 for reyes with 2 being the swing. Reyes stuffed both of his TDs and landed more sig strikes efficiently. It would've then ended in a split decision still for Bones, and all this judging talk wouldn't even be happening :lol: :lol:

Overall great fight tho. This kind of fight though puts the division in an unknown state. Don't see Jones moving up anytime soon. Would like for a rematch and maybe the winner of Corey/Blach face Santos on the same card if he's ready. Only problem is if Dom were to win then it would definitely turn in to a trilogy.

Valentina is a damn killer man. Even tho most these women arent high level/elite, her technique is one of the best ever. Thought she was going to get slept like Jessica eye when she was hitting them body shots. But that wheel just hit off the sole. Would like to see her vs. Zhang but if Zhang wins she won't be moving up anytime soon.

I agree. The UFC/Bellator/PFL/ETC should develop a new scoring/judging system.
Like JRE, if it feels like boxing, it’s because it is. Same commission. Same un unified rules.

I just rewatched the fight again. It’s tough. Jon was pressing things rounds 2-5. Jon was doing a good job on defense. Rounds 4&5 are definitely Jons. Round 1-3 were closer. 1 definitely in Reyes favor. Reyes definitely “landed” more strikes in rounds 2-3. And Jon’s grappling was ineffective in the first three rounds. Tough.

If Jon has pressed on the gas more and struck a lil more, the argument would be tougher.

The notion that a champion cannot lose a decision is a sham and shouldn't be encouraged, let alone be an official rule (which it certainly isn't)

The judges should never lean towards the champion nor the challenger. Judge the fight for what it is. Simpler

Cannot? They can. Close fights they shouldn’t. But it happens. Hence why Jon won. I’m just speaking on how it is, not should be. If I was a challenger, I’m not leaving it to the judges. Don’t have to agree w me. It’s fine.

Dom has the experience now in championship rounds. Work on Cardio and takedown defense a little more and things might go in his favor in a rematch. I saw it as a split dec. win going either way.

I too need to rewatch it again.

Back
Top Bottom