The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Eugene B cost Izzy’s aura. And now everyone is going to try to take him down at MW, LHW and HW. His grappling sucks. His TDD is good.

Also Joe interviewing Amanda. Horrible. Joe interviewing Aljo after he was concussed.

I’m glad Glover gets his title fight. He’s definitely racing against Father Time right now.

And Ray Longo and crew need a new strategy for Yan. Aljo can’t do all of that spinning. And unless he learns Islam level take downs, don’t commit. He was 1/14 on takedown attempts. And his striking accuracy was terrible.
Aljo had Yan FREEZING in the first few rounds. I think the gameplan was great but Aljo looked hella anxious and gassed out. Maybe next fight he goes in with a bit more composure. Im telling you guys…Yan is not as tough a fight as they hype him up to be.

Aljo had Yan FREEZING in the first few rounds. I think the gameplan was great but Aljo looked hella anxious and gassed out. Maybe next fight he goes in with a bit more composure. Im telling you guys…Yan is not as tough a fight as they hype him up to be.

that's not accurate at all, you could argue that yan was just biding his time knowing that aljo couldnt keep that up for five rounds which he clearly couldnt

it was about to be a wrap once peter found a home for those crosses in the fourth

I thought Romero had the build to beat him. But instead he just stood still for some reason. In any case the blueprint is out. Don’t play his strike game and it’s a wrap.

that's not accurate at all, you could argue that yan was just biding his time knowing that aljo couldnt keep that up for five rounds which he clearly couldnt

it was about to be a wrap once peter found a home for those crosses in the fourth
Exactly. Go watch the Aldo/Yan fight.

Yan is a slow starter. He analyzes. He’ll also use his rather accurate striking to pick you apart. The most significant strike in round 1 was from Yan. Aljo came with that insane pacein rounds 1-2. But Yan is a long distance fighter. He’s patient, slowly raising the pace. All Aljo did in the fourth was eat shots. No clue why he was spinning around like a ballerina. It left him open to strikes, trips, etc. Yan outclassed him. I was rooting for Al. Seriously. But it was clear in round one what was happening.

I thought Romero had the build to beat him. But instead he just stood still for some reason. In any case the blueprint is out. Don’t play his strike game and it’s a wrap.
Yoel isn’t that type of grappler. Yes, he’s an Olympian, etc. But his style was based more on sprints or intervals.

If Weidman wasn’t washed, the Weidman who fought Machida/Silva would have beat Izzy. Unfortunately, he died after Herb Dean let Luke Rockhold change his DNA.

Screenshot_20210307-121929_Instagram.jpg

Yoel isn’t that type of grappler. Yes, he’s an Olympian, etc. But his style was based more on sprints or intervals.

If Weidman wasn’t washed, the Weidman who fought Machida/Silva would have beat Izzy. Unfortunately, he died after Herb Dean let Luke Rockhold change his DNA.
Very true but he made no attempt at all. Wasted his shot

Well, the main card was deflating to say the least

Rakic and Santos not going for anything, playing it safe. Rakic stock is not rising at all even though he's had a great record in the UFC

Islam dominated, I was definitely impressed and RDA would have gotten the same treatment imo. Still, not the most rousing performance

Yan performed exactly how I thought he would. Aljo didn't have anything for him after the first round. Yan is the superior fighter imo and a rematch is so unnecessary if there's gonna be one. Yan is an idiot but he should still be champ

Izzy and Jan point fighting was extra deflating. Tactical fight. I can't blame them for that but still, the entertainment value was surely lacking. Nothing from that fight though proved that Izzy is regressing or that any 185er is now in somehow better position to defeat him

Jon would easily take him down and smother him though. Until Izzy proves he can have a death touch at 205 then he stands little chance to beat many of the top guys let alone Jones

Aljo looking like a straight clown right now. Yan threw that fight away with the knee. He was about to finish Aljo either way. He was getting worked to the point he was doing the old Weidman kneel to avoid getting finished.

When aljo did a whole interview right after it was clear he put on a show :lol: He even threw the belt down in the ring and everything. Went to the doctors right after and got cleared and was completely fine. Then the pic cmon man

Lots of people knew what was up, but yet NTers with the cape. I have no problem with the DQ of him getting the belt and not wanting to fight, but facts - he put a performance.

That’s where I am at too. Twitter is even worse, dudes are super hurt from people saying Aljo played it up.

DQ was fair because it was the doctor’s call, but Aljo looks horrible after it all with the pivot to celebrating in good health.

I don't even know if I want to rewatch it, but Dana going crazy in the presser lol

I don't really remember thinking it's def 2-2 heading into the 5th but idk, overall I didn't feel like either was doing much to convince me.. had the vibe that Jan was edging him out

“First of all, I think we can all agree, and I’m not defending Israel Adesanya here, that fight wasn’t 4-1,” White said. “That’s batsh*t nuts. If anybody watched that fight and thinks that fight is 4-1, you’re nuts. It was even going into the last round. Israel was winning the first half of the round, then Jan took him down and won the fight in the second half of the second half of the round. The only thing that makes that fight 4-1 are ridiculous 10-8 rounds. Not one person in here, people who watch fights every f*cking weekend, think that’s that’s 4-1. It’s a big problem with judging that needs to be fixed.”

That’s where I am at too. Twitter is even worse, dudes are super hurt from people saying Aljo played it up.

DQ was fair because it was the doctor’s call, but Aljo looks horrible after it all with the pivot to celebrating in good health.

Don’t see anything wrong with Aljo celebrating. He WON. Dummy kneed him while he was down. Aljo don’t owe nothin to nobody. Aljo’s run to the title shot was more impressive than Yan’s anyways.

Aljo did the smart thing in not continuing to fight. He was getting his *** handed to him and was not making it to the final bell. The knee was blatant and that's on Petr Yan. But that performance he put on.. the laying dead, crocodile tears, sniffles mid post fight interview just turned my stomach. For the old school mma fans, this was reminiscent of Jaimee Varner (I can't seeee) vs Donald Cerrone 1.

Aljo did the smart thing in not continuing to fight. He was getting his *** handed to him and was not making it to the final bell. The knee was blatant and that's on Petr Yan. But that performance he put on.. the laying dead, crocodile tears, sniffles mid post fight interview just turned my stomach. For the old school mma fans, this was reminiscent of Jaimee Varner (I can't seeee) vs Donald Cerrone 1.
Broooooo the Varner reference

So Aljo whether his fault or not, probably gained a lot of naysayers last night. Sucks too because he's a genuinely great guy I think that's fair to say. But yeah I don't think he gained many or any fans

Back
Top Bottom