The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

The comments sections on mma social media and websites are rife with robbery for Islam nonsense. Oof.

Generally speaking, in the past when Fighter A is expected to blow out Fighter B and fails to do so, the performance of Fighter B gets way overvalued. As in because fighter B did better than expected, they deserve the win.

Last edited:
The comments sections on mma social media and websites are ride with robbery for Islam nonsense. Oof.

Generally speaking, in the past when Fighter A is expected to blow out Fighter B and fails to do so, the performance of Fighter B gets way overvalued. As in because fighter B did better than expected, they deserve the win.

The only thing I’ll say is it was a close fight. And whoever gave Islam 49-46 doesn’t know MMA criteria and was probably busy downing shoeies.

There’s a godly level of tenacity Khabib brings that Islam lacks. He’s got the presence- he’s an intimidating dude, but he definitely lacks that bear mauling pressure khabib is known for.

Great adversity by Islam, let’s see if this propels him to be a greater champion.
Khabib was waaaay more athletic and had a superior chin over Islam. Islam is more technical in his approach. His striking defense doesn't get enough credit though. Until he gassed, he was doing a great job on timing Volk and not letting him dictate the pace on the feet.

The timing on that takedown in the 4th was beautiful and pretty much got him the W.

The comments sections on mma social media and websites are ride with robbery for Islam nonsense. Oof.

Yeah, Volk putting up a great fight shouldn't take anything away from Islam's win. I still don't see anyone beating him any time soon. None of the contenders have the speed, cardio, and recovery that Volk has imo.

Yair definitely leveled up since that Max fight. Still a step away from being elite but man he'll definitely be a contender for a while. Every strike he throws is with the intention to knock you the **** out. Don't see him beating Volk but he's going to make it chaotic as hell for however long it goes. Going to be a banger.

JDM is the real deal too. Give that man Luque so he can start his run through the rankings.

I refuse to watch a drunk Rogan, flat earth Eddie, Brendal Squabs, and Creep Callen.

During the fight Volk said he lost round 2 while on the stool, rewatching he said he won. Round 2 was pretty clear for Islam.

I refuse to watch a drunk Rogan, flat earth Eddie, Brendal Squabs, and Creep Callen.

During the fight Volk said he lost round 2 while on the stool, rewatching he said he won. Round 2 was pretty clear for Islam.
Lol. I don’t blame you especially with Eddie Bravo there.

They basically thought Volk won. Some of them bet money on Islam and were ready to part with their dough.

Volk asked his corner if he lost the first two rounds? Eugene said he’d have to win the next three.

Volk’s issue is he started too slow like a Yan. AND he wasn’t ready for that south paw and striking from Islam. I think they both earned each others respect. And both of their stock went up. It was a close fight.

But they’re both going to be upset if Jon comes back and reclaims his P4P #1. And/or Usman beats Edwards and reclaims his #1 or #2 P4P.

We’ve learned there is A) no validity to the list. And B) there isn’t a financial incentive for it either.

Khabib was waaaay more athletic and had a superior chin over Islam. Islam is more technical in his approach. His striking defense doesn't get enough credit though. Until he gassed, he was doing a great job on timing Volk and not letting him dictate the pace on the feet.

The timing on that takedown in the 4th was beautiful and pretty much got him the W.

Yeah, Volk putting up a great fight shouldn't take anything away from Islam's win. I still don't see anyone beating him any time soon. None of the contenders have the speed, cardio, and recovery that Volk has imo.
Definitely. There were a lot of stiff jabs that literally stopped volk from pressing forward. I was surprised he chose to stand with volk.

Whats funny to me is people saying Islam cant be P4P bc he beat a "smaller" dude. If Volk won the belt people wouldnt be saying he wasnt the real 155 champ would they?

Had Islam winning the first 4 rounds and he was winning the first 4 minutes of round 5

Close fight for sure

Islam had that win with ufc rules and also pride rules

Gotta give volk his due, he’s strong as hell

Imo the crowd and the fact that volk kept getting up swayed opinions

I don’t see any argument for volk winning

Islam outstruck him in almost every round and had more control

Lol. There’s tons of arguments for Volk winning. In the thread. On the internet.

It was a close fight.

Volk should’ve pressed down on the gas or pressured more to change the perception of the outcome.

I think both of their stocks were raised. FW and LW have probably the best champions in the UFC (besides Valentina at FW).

Lol. There’s tons of arguments for Volk winning. In the thread. On the internet.

It was a close fight.

Volk should’ve pressed down on the gas or pressured more to change the perception of the outcome.

I think both of their stocks were raised. FW and LW have probably the best champions in the UFC (besides Valentina at FW).
There aren't valid arguments in this thread. Haven't seen other arguments out there but help me out

Islam clearly won rounds 1 and 2, though close

Round 3 was close

Round 4 clearly Islam

Round 5 Islam was winning for 4 minutes but yes he lost that round

At worst 3-2 Islam

It’s definitely Islam 3-2. Or Volk 3-2.

I’m consistent in saying it was a close fight. And Volk with that cardio should’ve gotten started earlier Vice pick it up in rounds 3-5.

Can’t do that against an Islam especially if his best skill is taking you down and holding you down. That could potentially lead to control time.

I think we can all agree that Volk did better than we all thought. Given the move up in weight, there were a lot of lines that said first round domination and Smesh.

idk, I just rewatched and when I do I usually try to give the fighter who I thought lost, more benefit of the doubt

I can't find 3 Volk rounds

I see some of the media giving round 2 to Volk. Upon close review the striking was pretty even (just like in round 1) but Islam landed cleaner/harder, slightly. It's clear though imo

Plus Islam got a takedown in each of the first 2 rounds and had 2 minutes of control in round 1

A fight can be close and have a clear winner. This is the perfect example

I think an interesting fact that may have played a part in Islam’s “lack of strength” or cardio is that they only had 24 hours post weigh-ins to rehydrate. This impacted every fighter on the card with the exception of Volk given he was moving up and had a much more reasonable cut than if he were fighting at featherweight.

Anybody that normally has a hard weight cut will definitely suffer from a shortened rehydration window.

Same issue could have played a part for the Crute/Menifield fight. They are both big guys and probably cut a decent amount of weight.

Any rematches should be held in locations with the normal 36 hour rehydration window.

Also, Yair thinking the UFC is going to let him call the shots on a unification fight with an undisputed champ is hilarious.

Volk is a very active fighter and clearly won’t want to wait until September to fight in Yair’s backyard. Would be funny if Yair gets stripped for refusing a “unification“ fight outside of his terms.

Yeah someone did bring that up too beforehand

In a rematch I could honestly see Volk finding Islam's chin again

But seeing Volk get up like that and fight off the blanket attack was pretty insane. Next time with rehydration you just don't know

On the other hand you could also argue Volk could build up his strength too and the fact that he had 25 minutes to experience Islam- could make for an ever closer fight or possible W

I would favor Islam in a rematch but definitely give Volk a good chance, whereas I didn't give Volk any chance going into last night

I don't think Islam's stock went down at all to whomever suggested that. Islam's striking was phenomenal, striking defense too (minus round 5 lol). To say that about Islam when Volk was his opponent is nuts. Can't wait to see if Dariuesh can matchup with Islam

When Ariel was live Tweeting he was unsure of who won heading into the decision

Bronstetter actually had Volk winning

I really feel like the crowd and Volk overachieving in a sense led to these reactions

I thought watching both times, Islam clearly won. Though yes, still a close fight

Seemed like 99% of the thread also felt Islam won

Dan Hooker claiming Islam used an IV to rehydrate and is a cheat.

Islam had a nutritionist from the UFC PI assigned to him all week. Without evidence, this is a bad look from Volk’s team.

If we want to throw out baseless accusations, we got Adesanya’s sudden breast. Not too mention, Volk getting apparently stronger and faster at 34. Without proof, accusations mean absolutely nothing.

Back
Top Bottom