The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

They left Volk at #1 P4P. I personally wasnt rooting for a guy but they literally marketed the fight as #1 P4P match. :rofl:

Edit: looks like he was voted #1 but UFC hasnt updated rankings?

Last edited:
I just checked the ufc.com page and they do have Yair as interim which leads me to believe these are the updated rankings, so I guess even Dana believes Volk won?!?! Would be dumb if these really are their current p4p rankings. Then they conveniently slotted JJ into top 10 just in time to promote that card lol.

I just checked the ufc.com page and they do have Yair as interim which leads me to believe these are the updated rankings, so I guess even Dana believes Volk won?!?! Would be dumb if these really are their current p4p rankings. Then they conveniently slotted JJ into top 10 just in time to promote that card lol.
UFC going full popularity contest

I get that a lot of people said Volk proved he was still #1 P4P because he fought the bigger man, but they both made lightweight for the fight.

Whole point of Islam accepting the fight on a quick turnaround in Volk’s backyard was for the #1 spot. His title was the only belt on the line and the P4P spot was the equivalent for accepting the fight.

I get both sides of the argument. I for one think it’s pound for pound in the end of the day, not pound for one weight class higher than yours. Volk can dominate anyone in his own actual weight class and beneath. We just saw that doesn’t hold true for Islam who can’t dominate Volk. Had Islam little-manned him and imposed the Dagestani wrestling on Volk I’d say Islam is #1 as well.

Sometimes it just comes down to the eye test. Imo Volk is the superior mixed martial artist that lost to the larger dude and fighting at the larger dude’s weight class. I think now with this experience at LW he’d be less conservative in a runback too knowing Islam can’t really hurt him on the ground.

They left Volk at #1 P4P. I personally wasnt rooting for a guy but they literally marketed the fight as #1 P4P match. :rofl:

Edit: looks like he was voted #1 but UFC hasnt updated rankings?
UFC rankings have about as much credibility as the AVN Awards.

I get both sides of the argument. I for one think it’s pound for pound in the end of the day, not pound for one weight class higher than yours. Volk can dominate anyone in his own actual weight class and beneath. We just saw that doesn’t hold true for Islam who can’t dominate Volk. Had Islam little-manned him and imposed the Dagestani wrestling on Volk I’d say Islam is #1 as well.

Sometimes it just comes down to the eye test. Imo Volk is the superior mixed martial artist that lost to the larger dude and fighting at the larger dude’s weight class. I think now with this experience at LW he’d be less conservative in a runback too knowing Islam can’t really hurt him on the ground.
Striking wise Islam more than held his own

Offensively and defensively

Volk landed that shot in the 5th for sure with a minute left.. but before that islam was landing harder shots in my opinion

So I don’t buy that volk is the superior artist I actually was really impressed that Islam could keep up with volks strikes and imo was superior outside that shot landed in the 5th

Striking wise Islam more than held his own

Offensively and defensively

Volk landed that shot in the 5th for sure but before that islam was landing harder shots in my opinion

So I don’t buy that volk is the superior artist I actually was really impressed that Islam could keep up with volks strikes and imo was superior outside that shot landed in the 5th

Yea I respect this opinion. Islam was getting some nasty knees in there too. Just wonder how much of this happened in part due to Volk respecting the bigger man with elite wrestling’s takedown. But definitely was impressed by Islam’s ability to go strike for strike with Volk.

Im excited to see Islam fight again. His stricking leveled up. He needs to make sure he tightens his wrestling fundamentals back up but if he puts everything back together :wow:

Im excited to see Islam fight again. His stricking leveled up. He needs to make sure he tightens his wrestling fundamentals back up but if he puts everything back together :wow:
What?

It’s not like he didn’t take down Volk or had control time in the fight. Prior to that, he subbed one of the best submission artists and BJJ practitioners. Quickly dominated Bobbi Green and Dan “the Accusser” Hooker.

Give Volk his credit. He took Islam into deep waters. At the moment, I can’t see another 155er that can beat Islam (unless they go train with Volk and his coach).

What?

It’s not like he didn’t take down Volk or had control time in the fight. Prior to that, he subbed one of the best submission artists and BJJ practitioners. Quickly dominated Bobbi Green and Dan “the Accusser” Hooker.

Give Volk his credit. He took Islam into deep waters. At the moment, I can’t see another 155er that can beat Islam (unless they go train with Volk and his coach).
Hmm...I think you made my point. His wrestling is far better than what was on display saturday. Im thinking he can sharpen that back up and put it all together with the striking. I don't buy into the bs the commentators were pushing that Volk was so great on the take down defense. Re-watch Islam's take downs. All those reversals were bc Islam was out of position.

Last edited:
With the takes in here, either Benny is good because Islams wrestling isn’t sharp anymore lol. Or the champ has a name, and it’s Islam Mackpoundforpound.

Y’all ain’t feeling bennys chances against Islam
Honestly I thought he had the best chance before the Volk fight, but now I just don't see it. Seen him get rocked in too many of his fights, where Islam will just capitalize off that for a finish.

Bennys best chance would be to make it some kind of crazy brawl but I don't see Islam falling in to that trap.

He still deserves his shot though and it would be ridiculous if he has to take that Olivera fight.

Honestly I thought he had the best chance before the Volk fight, but now I just don't see it. Seen him get rocked in too many of his fights, where Islam will just capitalize off that for a finish.

Bennys best chance would be to make it some kind of crazy brawl but I don't see Islam falling in to that trap.

He still deserves his shot though and it would be ridiculous if he has to take that Olivera fight.
Can't disagree with this

I am curious about how Benny's defensive wrestling and BJJ will look though

I feel like Benny is pretty strong himself

Back
Top Bottom