THE NBA BEING SOFT UNAPPRECIATION POST

Almost every aspect of the game is different, and so contact has changed too.
I don't see anything wrong with it.
The only thing I don't like is the charges, it is the cheapest way of playing "defense".

The NBA has been soft ever since the Knicks and Heat stopped meeting eachother in the playoffs. At least that's what it seems like.

I think the reason of why the NBA has become so soft is because there are few people who hate other players in the league

everyone wants to be friends with each other and there are no grudges

Originally Posted by the north west

I think the reason of why the NBA has become so soft is because there are few people who hate other players in the league

everyone wants to be friends with each other and there are no grudges
Thank you. A post back on topic.

You make a good point. You don't have the Laimbeer - Barkley or the old Knicks - Heat rivalries anymore. When the Heat and Knicks matched up in theplayoffs you KNEW there would be a brawl.

A big part of it is free agency...almost every team has at least someone that played with someone else on every other team at some point in their career andthey aren't going to just go out and fight a guy that they're friends with.

certain games in the NCAA tourney were just awesom. they let them play. but thats rare. youll always have your DUKES or UCLAs. its just a fact of life

You make a good point. You don't have the Laimbeer - Barkley or the old Knicks - Heat rivalries anymore. When the Heat and Knicks matched up in the playoffs you KNEW there would be a brawl.

A big part of it is free agency...almost every team has at least someone that played with someone else on every other team at some point in their career and they aren't going to just go out and fight a guy that they're friends with.
I also think that organized ball has allowed players to know each other from the jr hs ----> usa basketball

hell even Amare played together with Tyson Chandler this past off season and they didn't start off well...

also contracts/business with shoe companies have exposed each other even more outside of basketball. - jordan classic, lebron whatever his camp is called,kobe's camp, Adidas marketing campaigns...

Originally Posted by dyyhard

You make a good point. You don't have the Laimbeer - Barkley or the old Knicks - Heat rivalries anymore. When the Heat and Knicks matched up in the playoffs you KNEW there would be a brawl.

A big part of it is free agency...almost every team has at least someone that played with someone else on every other team at some point in their career and they aren't going to just go out and fight a guy that they're friends with.
I also think that organized ball has allowed player's to know each other from the jr hs ----> usa basketball

hell even Amare played together with Tyson Chandler this past off season and they didn't start off well...

also contracts/business with shoe companies have exposed each other even more outside of basketball. - jordan classic, lebron whatever his camp is called, kobe's camp, Adidas marketing campaigns...

Another good point...they all hang out in the offseason together.

And, to the rest of you that aren't on topic...why do you care so much if I'm ZoDogg? There are more posts trying to figure out who is ZoDogg thanthere are posts trying to figure out Josh Childress' SN and he's in the NBA. Strange.

laugh.gif
aight i'll get back on topic-the NBA is definitely too soft nowadays, whistles are called too often and too much in favor of their superstars, andthere's a lack of attitude in the game as there was back in the day. but that's just the way it is, u can't deny $tern is a genius because he'sdoing a great job marketing the top players and raking in the cash for the NBA.

I think ya'll whine too much...The NBA is fine, no ones ever satisfied and everyone wants to fix problems whether they exist or not. I don't thinkthere's a major problem really, I just think you guys are just nostalgic.

It shows too. I referee kids games at the YMCA and some of them like to yell as they drive the lane, barely getting tapped. Kids complaining about the foulsmore than just playing, as they see in the NBA. Man, I never complained about any foul when I was younger.

Very much unappreciated. Dennis Rodman and Charles Oakley need to come back for one season. Maybe that will lift the league out of its softness..

Did you guys ever sit here and think that maybe its the coaches teaching/telling the players how to flop and among other things?

Think about it most of the coaches were players during the 70s and 80s

I think it's a combination of the rule changes, the refs (also somewhat affected by the rule changes), and the players taking advantage of those rulechanges.

I think the league has gotten soft because of David Stern. The NBA has gotten away from talented players, now they just have athletic players. The problem withathletic players is you dont have skilled basketball players, not alot of people scoring outside jumpers and things liek that. So with all the whistles its away to extend the game and put up more points. The more points certain players have the easier they are to market. I remember going to a wizards heat game backwhen the heat were good and freakin Wade took 20 fts. and ended wit like 30.

They talk about teams not playing defense, but honestly i feel like if every touch wasnt called a fouled players would play more defense, but low scoringdefensive games are not exciting to the casual NBA watcher ( see spurs)

Thats just my take on it, and also its too hard to go back to being rough. Unless the Stern called in the refs and said we're gonna make this a toughleague again, not dirty but tough, and tell the refs to call neccessary calls, not eveyr bump, and if players are screamin, tellem to shut up and learn to playBASKETBALL

When i played hs ball, we use to coach the camp in the summer time and kids were just screamin for every call

NBA is very much soft. I think it directly results form the league wanting to change it's image and that of its players who were for the most part startingto become viewed as spoiled rich thugs by a more mainstream American audience. Many of them just looked the part, while others still continue to play the role.I'm sorry, but having a commissioner like David Stern has done a lot to heighten the NBA's presence among the sports viewing public, but at the sametime it's been at the expense of the actual gameplay quality. Suspensions nowadays are what people used to take free throws over just a couple of decadesago. That's progress? Instead of getting foul calls for so much as standing next to someone, let them scrap it out a bit on the court. Anyone goingoverboard gets dealt with. Simple.

Originally Posted by EB4President

I think the league has gotten soft because of David Stern. The NBA has gotten away from talented players, now they just have athletic players. The problem with athletic players is you dont have skilled basketball players, not alot of people scoring outside jumpers and things liek that. So with all the whistles its a way to extend the game and put up more points. The more points certain players have the easier they are to market. I remember going to a wizards heat game back when the heat were good and freakin Wade took 20 fts. and ended wit like 30.

They talk about teams not playing defense, but honestly i feel like if every touch wasnt called a fouled players would play more defense, but low scoring defensive games are not exciting to the casual NBA watcher ( see spurs)

Thats just my take on it, and also its too hard to go back to being rough. Unless the Stern called in the refs and said we're gonna make this a tough league again, not dirty but tough, and tell the refs to call neccessary calls, not eveyr bump, and if players are screamin, tellem to shut up and learn to play BASKETBALL

When i played hs ball, we use to coach the camp in the summer time and kids were just screamin for every call
Thats it...exactly on point...

The league wanted to make the rule changes a few years back bc it would help them develop "star" players (basically Stern thought high scoring = morestars) and it also helped the transition of European players (which helps the NBA make money)....

But it HURTS to watch the NBA now...anyone who grew up during the 80s/90s can remember what a great league the NBA can be, I actually feel bad for the kidsgrowing up now with what they see...

And I see kids complaining at the park about fouls ALL THE TIME...and I'm sure they're getting it from TV...they don't realize that foulsaren't supposed to be a large part of playing basketball...

Back
Top Bottom