The newest addition to the Big "10".. PITT

http://bleacherreport.com...-ten-to-add-the-panthers

According to several reports, including personal statements bystudent athletes on Twitter, Pittsburgh athletic department officialsheld closed door meetings with all of the University's student athleteslast week about the potential move.

Pitt message boards lit up with the news and the validity of therumor, and though not verified by the University or the Big East or BigTen, the rumor was somewhat reinforced when those Pitt athletes whoposted about the meeting on their Twitter accounts were forced toremove the posts.

This weekend, many outlets are reporting that Pittsburgh has indeeddecided to accept the Big Ten's invitation and will formally announcethe move to the Big Ten on Thursday, Feb. 4, a coincidental (or not)day after National Signing Day.

this is gonna be huge for Big 10 hoops. thoughts?

I like it
pimp.gif

Does this mean that they'll finally play games after the month of October in football?

They'll probably have a conference champ game as well.

Originally Posted by and1play5

wack, why not stay in the big east?...better bball comp
$$$. the Big 10 threw a ton of cash at them obviously.

and why would they WANT better bball comp? they can dominate the Big 10 and get a top-2 seed every year. besides, not like B10 hoops is awful

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Does this mean that they'll finally play games after the month of October in football?

yeah, this will change the traditional long layoff B10 teams have before the BCS. i wonder how they will split up the 12 teams, will OSU and UM be in the same division? hmm..

It's about time they got a 12th team! Let's get a championship game already. Glad they got a team that will actually compete in the only sports I care about as well.

How are they gonna incorporate a 12 into the logo tho? lol

big-10-logo.jpg

I heard it's going to be Pitt or Syracuse

I hope it is Pitt instead of us. It would be %*$* for basketball.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by and1play5

wack, why not stay in the big east?...better bball comp
$$$. the Big 10 threw a ton of cash at them obviously.

and why would they WANT better bball comp? they can dominate the Big 10 and get a top-2 seed every year. besides, not like B10 hoops is awful

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

yeah, this will change the traditional long layoff B10 teams have before the BCS. i wonder how they will split up the 12 teams, will OSU and UM be in the same division? hmm..
The Big Ten blogger on ESPN broke down the possible divisions and said that it's basically a must that those 2 have to be in the same division. Nobody really wants to see those 2 teams play 2 weeks in a row if that were to happen.
I'm pretty sure they had Wisconsin, Iowa, and Penn State in the opposite division to even things out.

The Big XII 2. They need to figure out a better name for their conference now.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Wow, they should have removed us instead of them.

We don't deserve to be in the BE  division 1anymore.
*fixed*

roll.gif

New Rivalry w/ Penn State 
nerd.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intriguing, but I still prefer the Backyard Brawl. Call me old fashioned, I'm just for tradition. I'm still 50/50 on this.[/font]

This is great news for Pitt all the way around. The Big Ten and Big East play relatively the same style of basketball so the basketball program shouldn't be adversely impacted assuming they can keep their NYC pipeline going. For the football team that's a no-lose situation.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Wow, they should have removed us instead of them.

We don't deserve to be in the BE  division 1 anymore.
*fixed*
Cot Damn
roll.gif
smh.gif

But anyways, I REALLY hope this goes through! 
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Here's my divisional breakdown if so:

UofM
tOSU
MSU
Illinois
Minnesota
NW

PSU
Wisconsin
Iowa
Indiana
Purdue
Pitt

Great divisions for both football (most important) and hoops.  The talent is spread out as best as I could considering both sports as well as same states and rivalry games/trophies.

And you could pretty easily redesign the logo to be a "12" instead of an "11"...No way do they change the conference name.

Here is the proposed division lineup and rationale by the ESPN Big Ten blogger:

Should the Big Ten decide to add a 12th member in the coming months,the league's next duty would be splitting teams into two divisions.Warning: this process might get a little messy.

I'm here to help.

If the Big Ten expands, it should not make geography a majorpriority in figuring out divisions. This isn't the Big 12 or thePac-10, and the distances between Big Ten campuses aren't that great.Competitive balance should be a much greater concern than having thingslook pretty on paper.

So no matter if the 12th member is located in New Jersey orMissouri, New York or Nebraska, follow this rule: DO NOT put Penn Statein the same division as both Ohio State and Michigan.

It could create a lot more problems than a little extra travel. Need evidence? Look at the Big 12 South.

Now Ohio State and Michigan must be in the same division forobvious reasons. The Buckeyes and Wolverines have to play each otherevery year to continue the best rivalry in college football. Whetheryou want to admit it or not, the Ohio State-Michigan game remains oneof the Big Ten's greatest treasures and traditions. Being in the samedivision ensures this. Plus, you don't want to see an OhioState-Michigan rematch in the Big Ten championship game.

If you put Penn State in the same division, you have your threetraditional powers all together, which would create competitiveimbalance. At least one of those three teams has won or shared the BigTen title in nine out of the last 10 seasons. Solution: Put Penn Statein the opposite division.

Sure, it looks a bit odd to have a school located East of both OhioState and Michigan playing in a different division. But get over it.The Atlanta Falcons used to play in the NFC West. The Dallas Cowboysstill play in the NFC East. Duke and North Carolina play in a differentACC division than NC State, even though all three schools are locatedwithin a 30-mile radius.

Penn State head coach Joe Paterno has been the most vocal advocateof expansion, so I don't think he'd quibble about division alignment.

The Nittany Lions wouldn't play Ohio State every year, which is ashame, but they would face teams like Wisconsin and Iowa annually. Andif the Big Ten adds a team from the East, say Rutgers, it could pairthat team and Penn State in the same division. Plus, Penn State wouldhave arguably an easier path to the league title game.

You can label the divisions however you'd like (East-West,North-South, Bo-Woody, Joe-Pa). Just don't let geography be thedeciding factor for alignment.

Here's my plan for the divisions, which preserves most of the league's key rivalries:

Adam Division
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois

Rittenberg Division
Penn State
12th member
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern

Illinois might have a gripe about this, but the Illibuck rivalryagainst Ohio State would be preserved. The Illinois-Northwesternrivalry isn't very big at all, and Iowa isn't one of Illinois'protected rivals right now.

Back
Top Bottom