The Oakland Athletics 2013 Season Thread

Never been so ashamed of being an A's fan in my entire life.

This team has been pathetic in the playoffs every year of the Billy Beane era, and I put the blame on him. Can't even stand the thought of wearing an A's hat anytime soon.

So many wasted opportunities, not this game in particular but throughout the series
tired.gif

I hope the media gets on this team. I am very disappointed. I don't want to hear the tigers are a better team because they did not impress me at all. We lost this series. I love Melvin but he was out managed in this series. So many thoughts but not even in the mood to talk about them now...

Sonny Gray with a broken left thumb during the game too. Just some injury to insult, unfortunately

Now that your season is over, I wanted to ask you guys something.  I want to preface this by saying I was rooting for you guys, and am typically a big Billy Beane fan.

Something has bothered me about your team and Billy Beane this season, specifically right around the trade deadline.  I was listening to 95.7 right around that time, and Beane was being interviewed by Bucher and Towny.  When Beane was asked if he had plans to make some trades around this time to solidify his already good team, he was VERY arrogant with his answer...saying that his team didn't need any help.  For the first time, Billy really rubbed me the wrong way with that answer.  Were the A's already one of the top teams in the American League?  Absolutely!  But to say that the team was so good that it didnt need any help, I thought was not only foolish, but really egotistical. 

Now, this is not to say that you definitely would have beaten the Tigers if you made a trade or two.  I just think that a team that had World Series aspirations (and a realistic shot), should NOT have shut down the idea of improving their team during the time around the trade deadline.  As a Giants fan, I can say with conviction that we would have zero World Series titles in the last 3 years if we didnt make moves at the trade deadline.  I know its easy to say this in retrospect, but its no different than how I thought at the time.

Did any of you guys hear this interview?  Do any of you guys feel the same way that I do?

I recall him saying that but here's the thing when you start 20+ rookies in a two year span your minor league clubs are empty so we had no ammo to pull off a deal... We did have gray and the short stop who's name I can't remember right now but they were "untouchable"

I'm not an A's fan so I don't watch any of their games, but after watching the ALDS is it just me or does it seem like every single A's hitter comes up to bat with one approach and literally swinging for the fences trying to pull everything? Zero adjustments.

Last edited:
Now that your season is over, I wanted to ask you guys something.  I want to preface this by saying I was rooting for you guys, and am typically a big Billy Beane fan.

Something has bothered me about your team and Billy Beane this season, specifically right around the trade deadline.  I was listening to 95.7 right around that time, and Beane was being interviewed by Bucher and Towny.  When Beane was asked if he had plans to make some trades around this time to solidify his already good team, he was VERY arrogant with his answer...saying that his team didn't need any help.  For the first time, Billy really rubbed me the wrong way with that answer.  Were the A's already one of the top teams in the American League?  Absolutely!  But to say that the team was so good that it didnt need any help, I thought was not only foolish, but really egotistical. 

Now, this is not to say that you definitely would have beaten the Tigers if you made a trade or two.  I just think that a team that had World Series aspirations (and a realistic shot), should NOT have shut down the idea of improving their team during the time around the trade deadline.  As a Giants fan, I can say with conviction that we would have zero World Series titles in the last 3 years if we didnt make moves at the trade deadline.  I know its easy to say this in retrospect, but its no different than how I thought at the time.

Did any of you guys hear this interview?  Do any of you guys feel the same way that I do?

If you look through the past few posts I go in a bit on Beane 's approach with the payroll he has. Essentially, I'm not convinced the A's can win the World Series with him at the helm so long as he doesn't have the money to go after hitters in free agency. He is hopeless in drafting position players who can hit and it will always be this way so long as he doesn't have the money to trade for/sign hitters.

He's a GM so he's never going to tell you what he's going to do. Sabean does the same thing for the the Giants. Beane has pulled deadlines deals before in the past to solidify the team for the playoff run but it still didn't work out. He's right when he says its all about making the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. It's about luck and taking advantage of opportunities when they present themselves in the playoffs because the pitching is better and the games are closer, the A's haven't been able to do that. Giants had a lot of things go their way on their way to their chips but they also took advantage of those opportunities and their hitting got hot when it mattered. It is easier for the Giants to make moves or gut their farm systems because they have a payroll that can actually retain or replace these one year rentals, can't say the same for the A's. Just another tough pill to swallow being an A's fan.

Back
Top Bottom