the Office shocker: Michael Scott leaving

The UK version is a LOT more subtle when it comes to its humor, and that's what made The Office so unique. The U.S. version lacked this subtlety in thesecond half of the series, with season 4 being borderline unwatchable. It had to be one of the WORST shows on primetime television at the time.

David Brent's character was just AMAZING. That character was so fully developed and i'd cringe during the awkward moments, laugh during his ignorantmoments, and get frustrated during his childish moments. I don't really get that with Michael Scott; he just plays a dumb guy who does dumb things. Myfavorite UK moment is in the episode in which Gareth brings in a really obnoxious toy that plays a vulgar recording and plays the recording all day long,annoying the entire office. Later, Neil offers Tim the managerial position, but Tim decides to recommend Gareth for the job because he doesn't wantWernham-Hogg to become his career. As he's explaining why Gareth would be a good manager, the recording plays again in the background.

But OVERALL, as a series, the UK has the edge, but it has its advantages. Being so short, the series ended on a high note, with Tim and Dawn getting togetherat the very last moment. The U.S. version has the edge in the rewatchability factor (I could watch Season 2 for the rest of my life), but that season had a lotof the U.K. qualities to it. The show lost its realistic edge, which was huge in giving the show its dry nature. Characters like Angela, Kevin, Creed, andKelly were pushed to their respective extremes and they became no different than the cliche characters seen on average-at-best sitcoms like "Just ShootMe". Jim and Pam were no longer the same as well. John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer grew as stars and it was hard to see them as the regular office peoplethey played so well in seasons one and two. The filming techniques changed as well; season one and parts of season two were drab in color and reminded us ofthe times we desperately tried to find humor in a droning workday. Then everything became so bright in color, Pam, Angela, Kelly, and Jan were always dolled upin make-up and nicer non-office wardrobe, and everything started getting loud. We can all agree that the office is no longer what it once was, and i'm notsurprised that those who think the show at its current state is good would enjoy the UK version. Two completely different shows, unfortunately.

thanks for putting this in the title. ruined the whole show for me im only on season 2.
laugh.gif
haven't read anything posted so hopefully nothing it true.

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

Yeah the british version is so amazing thats why it only lasted 14 episodes.

-The Juice
Nah, that's dumb.Obviously it was good enough to spawn this US version. I enjoy British humour -- get it and all but whatever. I prefer the USversion because I like the characters a lot more.

I heard the BBC doesnt allow any series to run longer than 3 seasons. So thats why the UK version is done.

The goofy accents makes Americans think British comedy is somehow totally superior in every way.

BloodSugar wrote:
I heard the BBC doesnt allow any series to run longer than 3 seasons. So thats why the UK version is done.
Absolutely false. Just off the top of my head, I know Dr. Who has run since the 1950's and East Enders has run since themid 1980's.

I remember hearing Rickey Gervais speak before the American version began running and he said that they had done what they wanted to do with The Office and andnever even intended to do the Christmas Special. They both had other projects they were working on - Gervais did a series called Extras afterwardthat was hit-or-miss, but was fantastic when it came together - and that while he was surprised by how it was adapted around the world, he could understand theuniversal nature of the setting and subject matter.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

David Brent's character was just AMAZING. That character was so fully developed and i'd cringe during the awkward moments, laugh during his ignorant moments, and get frustrated during his childish moments. I don't really get that with Michael Scott; he just plays a dumb guy who does dumb things. My favorite UK moment is in the episode in which Gareth brings in a really obnoxious toy that plays a vulgar recording and plays the recording all day long, annoying the entire office. Later, Neil offers Tim the managerial position, but Tim decides to recommend Gareth for the job because he doesn't want Wernham-Hogg to become his career. As he's explaining why Gareth would be a good manager, the recording plays again in the background.

[Dirty Bertie]Come on come on, baby [/Dirty Bertie]

the humor is totally different between the US and UK versions but I'd have to say i've seen more of the US version so i'll pick that but they bothare very good.

Back
Top Bottom