THE OFFICIAL ADIDAS THREAD OF JAMES HARDEN - VOLUME 9 IN LOS ANGELES (CLIPPERS)

Should Vol. 2 have a new thread or keep it here?

• Here

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • New

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

That was very disappointing to hear all of the negatives with this shoe. Based on that, these wouldn’t even make a good casual option. Hopefully that’s not the reason he’s been playing in older models. Why use boost in something that results in a firm feeling on foot?|l

That was very disappointing to hear all of the negatives with this shoe. Based on that, these wouldn’t even make a good casual option. Hopefully that’s not the reason he’s been playing in older models. Why use boost in something that results in a firm feeling on foot?|l
On Reddit there is a user (u/EfficientZone) that compiles people's thoughts on a shoe and it wasn't looking good for the Harden 5.

Here is what the preliminary report looked like, and it sounds like Nelson only confirms it.
cc5d92b-1.png

I freaking knew it man, just looking at the shoe I could tell it was going to be a big disappointment (especially the traction). I thought the cushioning was at least going to be decent but nope. Right back to my Vol 2s lmao 😂.

Just not a great year for team Harden...

On Reddit there is a user (u/EfficientZone) that compiles people's thoughts on a shoe and it wasn't looking good for the Harden 5.

Here is what the preliminary report looked like, and it sounds like Nelson only confirms it.
cc5d92b-1.png
I stumbled across his reviews awhile back when looking for some sizing comparisons. I enjoy his simple, yet effective breakdowns...Looks like he rates the Stepback as a better option, and that fits with Lowry wearing them when normally he has been wearing the “main” signature model. That could all change after the vol. 5 is debuted on court, though.

On a high note, I did purchase another pair of Vol. 1’s a few weeks ago from Fanatics, of all places. They were listed as team issued Kansas shoes, but no special branding, just the regular “Home” CW. Only downside was no original box, just shipped in an oversized ziploc bag with an authenticity label. No complaints for $70.

I freaking knew it man, just looking at the shoe I could tell it was going to be a big disappointment (especially the traction). I thought the cushioning was at least going to be decent but nope. Right back to my Vol 2s lmao 😂.

Just not a great year for team Harden...

I gonna start grabbing more 1-3s when I can find good deals.

I gonna start grabbing more 1-3s when I can find good deals.

I think I am moving on from Hardens unfortunately. While my 2s still work, I have inconsistency amongst pairs with the traction and even the cushioning. My grey/white Concrete pair has terrible traction with dust and even the cushioning feels thin in the forefoot (I feel the ground sometimes on hard landing). The only pair that has been reliable are my Blue/Red pair with cushioning and traction, if I can find more pairs of those for cheap I might cop. The Vol 3 has horrible heel slip (but learning to get used to it), but the cushioning is also a bit too thin in the forefoot. Good news is I can use these for training when I want Boost.

I just ordered some Lebron 17 Lows from DSG for $62 shipped; these will be my first Lebrons since the 5s. I thought I was always going to be team Harden but the cushioning is just not enough for me anymore. I’m 34 now so guess I have to move on to beefier cushioned shoes for my knees.

Was kinda into looking into buying more Hardens, but with these 5s, I’ll wait for more colors. I don’t ball anymore unless I’m on the court with my 2 high schoolers going through drills, so traction is whatever at my age. Cushioning is more important. Harlem Renaissance 3s are my favorites. Bought the red toe Question joints for 70 and the GSW Su Casas for 55.

Is the first color way an ADC exclusive or something? No footsites have this on their calendar for the 4th.

I don't even hate the way they look, but EVERY review I've seen thus far said they're complete trash.

- cheap, stiff materials
- no flex to the shoe
- cushion is awful, regardless of all the tech involved (KD 11 anyone?)

Once they restock, if they restock, I'm going a half size down. These things are huge! Hopefully the half size difference will eliminate the heel slippage.

I think those heel pads are set to low, not letting your heel sit down and back under the collar to lock in. Hopefully as the shoe breaks in it will flex more and not slip as bad.

I don't even hate the way they look, but EVERY review I've seen thus far said they're complete trash.

- cheap, stiff materials
- no flex to the shoe
- cushion is awful, regardless of all the tech involved (KD 11 anyone?)

The Harden 5 is nowhere near as bad as advertised in my opinion from a tech and performance standpoint. I just dislike how inconsistent Adidas is in general
With the sizing of their shoes.

The 5's run at least a .5 half size big. I'm thinking almost a full size if you prefer a supreme lockdown. I went a whole size down on the 4's and had a nice fit. I hate the introductory colorway sold out because I want to exchange for a smaller size and will likely do so when and if they become available again.

I get that people can't get past the look of the shoe but that is another discussion altogether.

The Harden 5 is nowhere near as bad as advertised in my opinion from a tech and performance standpoint. I just dislike how inconsistent Adidas is in general
With the sizing of their shoes.

The 5's run at least a .5 half size big. I'm thinking almost a full size if you prefer a supreme lockdown. I went a whole size down on the 4's and had a nice fit. I hate the introductory colorway sold out because I want to exchange for a smaller size and will likely do so when and if they become available again.

I get that people can't get past the look of the shoe but that is another discussion altogether.

So you’ve played some in them? What are your thoughts?

So you’ve played some in them? What are your thoughts?

Yes.

So they when they were delivered yesterday I immediately anticipated wearing them while hosting practice for my freshmen this morning.

The first thing I notice, or pay heavy attention to, with any basketball shoe is the lockdown/heel slip and the sizing. There was plenty of heel slip. Just too much in my true size or, typically put, the size I usually wear in Nikes. Even when choking the laces the shoe was just too loose.

I generally don't get too up in arms about heel slip because I'm usually able to alleviate that with finding the right size and lacing the shoes nice and tight.

The grip had plenty of bite but that is never really a problem with any shoe since our school does a great job keeping the courts dust free.

I didn't feel any discomfort whatsoever though and the insole was very plush. I'm eager to find out if it truly drops and molds to the foot after extended wear as intended.

My analysis thus far is that if I was able to have no comfort issues from a shoe that is slightly too big then a better fit should yield a more enjoyable experience.

I'm definitely exchanging when sizes pop back up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom