THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

It's obvious that Nike can make make AM1's with a proper shape when they want to, so why all the variation, including the 2018 Anniversary Red restock?

These are amazing. I had the OG in '88. I really wanted the Air Tech Challenge II Hot Lava that I asked my adult friend to pickup for me during their travels to Portland. They came back with these and I was so disappointed. Super cushy back then though and thought the huge air was mind blowing. Would love to get them again!

Any idea of stock yet? Hope they're not super limited as I really don't want to have to go resell.

2023 looks much much much better in these pics compared to the ones a few weeks ago. I really think those were kids pairs. I still prefer 2017 bc of the difference in mudguards but the 2023 doesn't look bad.

nike-air-max-1-86-sport-red-big-bubble-DQ3989-100.jpg

2017 silhouette ALL DAY!

Hmm....IDK....It's much closer to the OG, but some of the cuts look off, particularly at the heel. That said, the "modern" air unit and entire midsole is just trash. I have one pair of AM1 (in a collection of ~75 total sneakers) with the brick midsole construction and haven't worn them in like half a dozen years (need to offload them). Haven't been able to do any 1s ever since.

I think this is a vintage pair. Hope the PSI is nice and squishy and doesn't require me to gain 100lbs to feel it! Back in the day in highshool it was like ZoomX or React foam is now in terms of being so freak'n comfortable compared to anything else out there. Please let these be easily attainable.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 3.16.30 PM.png

Not impressed with the 2023 at all. 2017s can’t be beat. I’ll try for retail. If I strike out, I won’t be too mad about it.

the best thing about the AM 1 BB's are the sleek toe caps

Thanks for sharing!

I'll be honest - these look great, I'm very likely going for a pair and I look forward to it, but I am kinda surprised that these don't excite me as much as the Infrared Air Max 90s did back in 2020. Maybe it was just the build-up that whole year that led up to that release from the recrafted models releasing in the beginning of 2020 and then ultimately leading to the Air Max III release. However, there was the execution of that retro itself where everything about it was as perfect as it can and I think that one is the best retro I've ever seen. On top of that, there was no "limited" BS, they were abundant, they did not get hyped like crazy unlike a lot of other shoes, they're actually comfortable, and everybody got at least 2 pairs. Just amazing!

Then again, there was also that 2017 mayhem for the "Air Max Day" stuff. Everything was limited and everything was going for $350+ on the secondary market, except for the Ultras that no one liked. EDIT - oh yeah, I forgot the VaporMax came out that day. Those shoes were sick, not gonna lie.

Last edited:
These are amazing. I had the OG in '88. I really wanted the Air Tech Challenge II Hot Lava that I asked my adult friend to pickup for me during their travels to Portland. They came back with these and I was so disappointed. Super cushy back then though and thought the huge air was mind blowing. Would love to get them again!

Any idea of stock yet? Hope they're not super limited as I really don't want to have to go resell.

They were still selling big bubbles in 88?

And you had an adult friend as a child? :nerd:

Why does the midsole look completely different ? Is this what the OG 86 midsole looked like or is this new ?

Everyone agrees the 2017s esthetically looks better than the 86 big bubble molds, but they still feel like bricks, on my feet at least. If they used the same dense-*** foam then I don’t see the point of a “big bubble”. Just for looks I guess.

soleaddict33 soleaddict33 - I'd unfortunately have to agree on the comfort situation, but it's difficult for me to wear too, since 2017 too. Now that I think about it, I don't even know how I was able to wear the Master AM1s so often back then.

Back
Top Bottom